PDA

View Full Version : Constituted crew record?

stumblefingers
9th Jan 2022, 15:48
My pilot and I spent six and a half years sharing the cockpit of a Puma HC 1 as part of a constituted crew, during which time we amassed 3005 hours flying together. I suspect this might be a record for a pilot/nav constituted crew, but can anybody out there top this?

Top West 50
9th Jan 2022, 18:46
Wow. And at 500 hours a year! Quite something. Congratulations.

minigundiplomat
9th Jan 2022, 20:18
Did you both have tiger cravats?

stumblefingers
10th Jan 2022, 06:36
No we didn't

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
10th Jan 2022, 06:52
I have 5,300 hours single pilot in Bell 212. Does that count ? I was constituted........ ;)

NEO

Herod
10th Jan 2022, 08:58
I presume you co-ordinated your leave periods as well? Otherwise, just "non-available" when the other was away?

stumblefingers
10th Jan 2022, 09:05
All 3 of us, pilot, nav & crewman took leave at exactly the same time. (We had 2 different crewmen during the 6 and a half years).

charliegolf
10th Jan 2022, 09:44
All 3 of us, pilot, nav & crewman took leave at exactly the same time. (We had 2 different crewmen during the 6 and a half years).

When did that start to be a thing- constituted crews I mean. Or were you the sneaky beaky crews? You can tell us.

CG

charliegolf
10th Jan 2022, 09:46
I have 5,300 hours single pilot in Bell 212. Does that count ? ;)

NEO

Only if you can show evidence of talking to yourself a lot!

CG

ACW418
10th Jan 2022, 15:16
From memory there were constituted crews in the V-force from the late 1950's. I am not sure if crews were called constituted in WW2.

ACW

lsh
10th Jan 2022, 15:43
Generally, the longest periods we were "crewed up" for on Puma was during exercises and detachments.

I can recall an RAFG trip where, after shutdown, our Harrier LHS passenger said very nice things about us.
"You and Nigel clearly fly together all the time".
"No Sir, we have not flown together for 6 months and not seen each other for the last 3"!
SOP's rule!

lsh

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2022, 16:29
Generally, the longest periods we were "crewed up" for on Puma was during exercises and detachments.

I can recall an RAFG trip where, after shutdown, our Harrier LHS passenger said very nice things about us.
"No Sir, we have not flown together for 6 months and not seen each other for the last 3"!
SOP's rule!

lsh

Yes, sometimes it was as simple as one bark for yes, two for no....

I've a very good idea of who Stumblefingers is and yes, I think it's probably an unmatched record.

charliegolf
10th Jan 2022, 18:32
Yes, sometimes it was as simple as one bark for yes, two for no....

I've a very good idea of who Stumblefingers is

One of Rex Green's buds, woof?

CG

212man
10th Jan 2022, 21:51
I have 5,300 hours single pilot in Bell 212. Does that count ? I was constituted........ ;)

NEO
Gulder will do that to you…..

Not Long Here
11th Jan 2022, 00:46
On the Nimrod force we flew as constituted crews; the core being the first pilot, first nav, AEO, lead wet and lead dry. That combination was key to maintaining the overall crew operational category. Co-pilot, Nav 2 and the remainder of the wet and dry teams were there to learn and move up through that learning and gaining experience.
Quite frequently you did get temporary changes to the lead positions for whatever reason but the skill of the Ops Flt Cdr was in ensuring the balance and core numbers were maintained appropriate to the operational task.

ehwatezedoing
11th Jan 2022, 04:44
My pilot and I spent six and a half years sharing the cockpit of a Puma HC 1 as part of a constituted crew, during which time we amassed 3005 hours flying together. I suspect this might be a record for a pilot/nav constituted crew, but can anybody out there top this?
Not a critique at all but a genuine question, would that not lead to some sort of complacency always flying with the same person/crew? I'm thinking about habits and expectations leading to let your guard down. That sort of things...I'm asking because I observed that tendency in the two crew civilian world.

Flying long enough together (Talking about months, not just days) One or both of us would eventually fall in this trap if not paying attention.

stumblefingers
11th Jan 2022, 10:45
This was a problem that did not really arise. Our tasking was very varied, and much of it was not covered by SH SOPs. We had to invent our techniques as we went along, often as a result of developing new equipment, and changing requirements. This certainly kept us on our toes.

PUP
12th Jan 2022, 17:50
Sorry, it’s not a record! There was some dude on here a couple of years ago who had done about 4100 hours CC. :hmm:

12th Jan 2022, 18:16

SOP's rule!

lsh

I was involved in a synthetic exercise at Waddo about 12 years or so ago where there was a USAF A-10 pilot and a RM Harrier pilot 'flying' as a CAS pair using desktop PCs. A Brigadier stood behind them for a bit before asking "How long have you chaps been flying together?" "We had never met before today" was the answer....

stumblefingers
13th Jan 2022, 08:44
Do you have any details? On the V Force constituted crews were known by the name of the captain. So the "Smith" crew might exist on the same sqn for many years as a constituted crew, but the other members of the crew would rotate regularly.

ShyTorque
13th Jan 2022, 09:19
One of Rex Green's buds, woof?

CG

Two different people.

lsh was wearing an eye patch at the time we needed that particular SOP….

If I’m right and I think I am, this crew was similar of a similar name but a different colour. Stumblefingers knows about the V Force, another clue!

I would have liked to join them post Rex, but the RAF kept making me teach others the SOPS so I had to behave. :{

woptb
13th Jan 2022, 17:05
On the Nimrod force we flew as constituted crews; the skill of the Ops Flt Cdr was in ensuring the balance and core numbers were maintained appropriate to the operational task.

Eating cakes is vital work………………..

ACW418
13th Jan 2022, 20:29
Stumble,

When I was on the V-force we were known as a crew number and there was no rotation. We had to take leave at the same time. The only time a stranger flew was as a replacement for a sick member.

ACW

stumblefingers
13th Jan 2022, 20:32
I inherited the nickname "Stumblefingers" from John McNally of The Searchers. It was very cruel (to him) because he was a very good rhythm guitarist, but pretty accurate for me! We are about the same age, and are now both playing lead guitar in successful bands. That is another clue to those of you who have already sussed me out. There will be a free CD of our latest album to the first one who correctly identifies my current band, and is prepared to reveal their identity. Some may consider that a booby prize.....

stumblefingers
13th Jan 2022, 20:52
I was a member of the 2i/c's crew on my first V sqn in the 60s, and we were known as the "Smith" crew. During my period of tenure we had 2 different co-pilots, and 2 different nav plotters, but the same AEO. Tour lengths demanded that some crew members were posted before others, but as far as radar bomb scoring and crew combat ready categories were concerned, only the captain and the 2 navigators were counted as "constituted".

ShyTorque
13th Jan 2022, 21:03
I inherited the nickname "Stumblefingers" from John McNally of The Searchers. It was very cruel (to him) because he was a very good rhythm guitarist, but pretty accurate for me! We are about the same age, and are now both playing lead guitar in successful bands. That is another clue to those of you who have already sussed me out. There will be a free CD of our latest album to the first one who correctly identifies my current band, and is prepared to reveal their identity. Some may consider that a booby prize.....

Blacksmith?

You would need to check your PM for my identity, sent earlier today.

Barksdale Boy
13th Jan 2022, 21:28
Flying in constituted crews on the MBF was described by some as resembling marriage without the sex - well for most crews.

Barksdale Boy
13th Jan 2022, 21:28
Flying in constituted crews on the MBF was described by some as resembling marriage without the sex - well for most crews.