PDA

View Full Version : Real-Time WX presentation options.

Al E. Vator
8th Jan 2022, 05:59
Probably a stupid question from a numpty boomer, but are there any new and affordable options for real-time inflight TS/rain presentations on iPads?

I use OzRunways (with their WX overlay) as well as the BOM App. Both are great when you have 4G or 5G coverage but that’s not possible everywhere of course.

Once did RPT in 18 seat turboprops without Radar and not sure how that was even legal. Using ADF’s for TS detection etc: pretty ridiculous.

Could really have done with some real-time weather yesterday with those lines of TS’s all across the east of the country. Musk’s Starlink system is great and super-fast but of course the antenna is huge (atm) and doesn’t work with a moving base station. Probably be the default system in a few years however.

Suggestions welcome!

43Inches
8th Jan 2022, 08:52
BOM is not real time, depending on what range you set it could be 5 minutes to 30 minutes out of date, however it's better than nothing. Besides having an actual RADAR fitted I don't think any overlays are real time, unless you have some sort of direct feed to the system. They are all just time stamped images broadcast at intervals. The main thing is to realise you don't want to be cutting fine holes through gaps on the BOM images, as they may not exists at time of passing.

cattletruck
8th Jan 2022, 08:56
BOM public radar data carries a disclaimer on use. In a nutshell it's just a novelty and should not be used as the sole input for critical decisions. There are a lot of limitations with WX radar (curvature of the Earth, WiFi interference, etc) and many compromises are made with how it is presented for public consumption. An investigation into a fatal helicopter crash in NSW found evidence that the pilot consulted the BOM website on his personal device before taking off and crashing shortly after however it could not be ascertained if this was a contributing factor. Even though the BOM radar was showing a gap in the heavy rain at the time, when the helicopter crashed it was during heavy rainfall.

It's OK for the big picture but can be misleading when people look for detail that just isn't there.

Capt Fathom
8th Jan 2022, 09:32
Once did RPT in 18 seat turboprops without Radar and not sure how that was even legal.

If it was unpressurised then that was legal …. back then.

I flew a C421 on RPT and that required a serviceable radar!

megan
8th Jan 2022, 16:34
Once did RPT in 18 seat turboprops without Radar and not sure how that was even legalFollowing the crash of a radarless Ansett Viscount into Botany Bay due breakup in a thunderstorm 30 November 1961 an ANO was produced directing that all turbine aircraft on the register had to be fitted with radar by 1 June 1963, perhaps the Bandit being unpressurised escaped the edict.

RENURPP
9th Jan 2022, 01:20
Following the crash of a radarless Ansett Viscount into Botany Bay due breakup in a thunderstorm 30 November 1961 an ANO was produced directing that all turbine aircraft on the register had to be fitted with radar by 1 June 1963, perhaps the Bandit being unpressurised escaped the edict.
I think that may have been pressurised turbine.
I flew twin otters, bandits RPT between 1978 - 1990 which were not required, nor did they have weather radar. (Or serviceable autopilots, single pilot)
We used to rely on the TAST (Terminal Area Severe Turbulence broadcast ) provided by ATC on the ATIS.

swh
9th Jan 2022, 09:50
Probably a stupid question from a numpty boomer, but are there any new and affordable options for real-time inflight TS/rain presentations on iPads?

Aircraft used to have these fancy things installed called a window. If you can take a photo of the TS out the window, and display that photo on your iPad your probably far enough away from it.