PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand 777 issues

Looigi
5th Jan 2022, 05:07
I have heard from two independent sources that the Air New Zealand 777's that have been stored at Auckland airport have serious issues. These aircraft have been stored there while not required due COVID with the engines and fuselage orifices taped up. 6 engines have massive corrosion that apparently will require around $15 million dollars each to repair.

In addition the aircraft interiors are suffering mould damage.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Foxxster
5th Jan 2022, 06:05
Some information about 787 paint issues.

https://youtu.be/lhweBVpAS_8

Buster Hyman
5th Jan 2022, 06:20
What part of "777" and "Engines" did you not get Foxy??? :confused:

(I kid, I kid! :E:ok::} )

PoppaJo
5th Jan 2022, 06:29
Not uncommon. I’ve seen photos only recently of some pretty ugly corrosion in Alice with those parked Tiger A320s. Some have been fixed and flown out. Others still work in progress. Engineers will be busy for a while yet.

OMAAbound
5th Jan 2022, 09:11
There has been some pretty horrific stories of whats been described above. No where is the world is immune from these problems and given that Auckland is relatively humid it wont have helped.

Depending on how many they are wanting to bring back, its likely that they will scavenge off other aircrafts to make several airworthy ones.

OMAA

Ollie Onion
5th Jan 2022, 09:16
I was chatting to an Air NZ engineer a couple of weeks ago who said they have always dealt with corrosion issues at Auckland Aiport as the planes get covered in salt spray, parking them outside for months on end hasn’t helped but is was expected.

sandringham1
5th Jan 2022, 13:43
A couple of bags of desiccant in the intakes would have helped!

Looigi
5th Jan 2022, 17:19
Appatently not. I was told that when the boys went to remove the engine intake covers water poured out. The blanks were doing an excellent job of holding the water in!

geeup
5th Jan 2022, 19:52
Insurance job

The Banjo
5th Jan 2022, 20:44
The last time the Kiwi's needed spare engines they borrowed them from Ansett.

Foxxster
6th Jan 2022, 01:39
Insurance job

huh. Well they are phasing out all their 777, so…

https://youtu.be/7CQgpAvNiy8

ElZilcho
6th Jan 2022, 18:22
3 of our 773’s have been kept in Auckland, the other 4 are offshore. There has been some engine corrosion reported, but the severity and cost of repairs appear to depend on who you’re talking to.

777 Reactivation is still planned for 2022 with Courses commencing this month (January). They’ll mostly just be covering 787’s getting their wings painted so I assume they’ve got enough good engines to get 2-3 up and running.

Long term, the 772’s are already gone while the 773’s are planned to fly until 2027. With a MTOW increase the 787-10 looks to be a solid replacement for us as the 777X is too big.

Buttscratcher
6th Jan 2022, 23:19
The last time the Kiwi's needed spare engines they borrowed them from Ansett.

True, lest we forget
.....'Borrowed' is a such nice word also.

industry insider
7th Jan 2022, 05:17
I have heard from two independent sources that the Air New Zealand 777's that have been stored at Auckland airport have serious issues.

Impossible. You are a fibbing rabble-rouser. :) :)

GT has just named Air New Zealand as the safest airline for 2021. An airline as safe as Air New Zealand would never have corrosion or mold anywhere.

tdracer
7th Jan 2022, 17:07
The $15 million per engine to repair is certainly an exaggeration - that's approaching the cost of simply scrapping the engine and buying a new one (and a new engine comes with a new warranty and reduced maintenance costs compared to an overhauled engine).

Una Due Tfc
7th Jan 2022, 17:40
The $15 million per engine to repair is certainly an exaggeration - that's approaching the cost of simply scrapping the engine and buying a new one (and a new engine comes with a new warranty and reduced maintenance costs compared to an overhauled engine).

$15 mil per airframe maybe? Complete rebuild, all new electronics, valves, hydraulics etc probably wrecked. Include the labour and transport of the engines overseas if required....

Looigi
7th Jan 2022, 19:55
Insurance job

Can you insure against stupidity?

Looigi
7th Jan 2022, 19:58

$15 Million New Zealand Dollars, not USD. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

tdracer
7th Jan 2022, 20:16
$15 Million New Zealand Dollars, not USD. Sorry, I should have been clearer.
That's still $10 million in USD - unless the engines were nearly new, it would still be cheaper to scrap the engines and get new ones.

NzAkL20
7th Jan 2022, 23:23
With Qf ramping up their cabin crew recruitment surely air nz must be looking at doing the same. It seems Qf have restarted again and air nz still being held back by MIQ .

Looigi
8th Jan 2022, 09:58
That's still $10 million in USD - unless the engines were nearly new, it would still be cheaper to scrap the engines and get new ones.

Today I spoke to one of the engineers who looked after this fleet who corrected me - $15 million USD each for 6 engines!. The aircraft were parked in Auckland against advice to Management. The only engine to remain servivable was the spare in the hangar. The rest are toast with major corrosion and water damage... I would imagine that a few people have been invited to tea and biscuits in the boardroom over this!

Mr Proach
8th Jan 2022, 22:01
Today I spoke to one of the engineers who looked after this fleet who corrected me - $15 million USD each for 6 engines!. The aircraft were parked in Auckland against advice to Management. The only engine to remain serviceable was the spare in the hangar. The rest are toast with major corrosion and water damage... I would imagine that a few people have been invited to tea and biscuits in the boardroom over this!

It is not uncommon that a lot of people on aviation company boards don't know the basic principles relating to the management of airframes and engines however, many are highly skilled in the art of obfuscation.

tdracer
8th Jan 2022, 23:18
There are aircraft long term storage procedures in the Maintenance Manual - obviously not followed (or not followed correctly). And Auckland wouldn't exactly be a first choice as a good place for long term storage. There are good storage areas fairly close in Australia.
Did they layoff all the people that knew that?

rattman
9th Jan 2022, 03:19
There are aircraft long term storage procedures in the Maintenance Manual - obviously not followed (or not followed correctly). And Auckland wouldn't exactly be a first choice as a good place for long term storage. There are good storage areas fairly close in Australia.
Did they layoff all the people that knew that?

Maybe they figured with them retiring all the 777's the cost to maintain them and the engines would cost more than planes were worth

No Idea Either
9th Jan 2022, 08:04
Maybe they figured with them retiring all the 777's the cost to maintain them and the engines would cost more than planes were worth

Are they leased, if so they will have to be returned to service. Does Air ENZED own them, in which case if they haven’t followed the MM procedures for storage then the insurers will not want to know about them. Seems like a complete waste of money by execs who knew no better……….Bonuses all round I say……..

cattletruck
9th Jan 2022, 08:05
The cost doesn't look that bad when seen in terms of modern executive remuneration.

Looigi
12th Jan 2022, 17:12
The cost doesn't look that bad when seen in terms of modern executive remuneration.

Haha, love it!

NzAkL20
14th Jan 2022, 22:46
According to DM they have been stored according to Boeing. Sounds like porkies from somewhere, surely Boeing wouldn't of got it that wrong

ElZilcho
14th Jan 2022, 23:58
According to DM they have been stored according to Boeing. Sounds like porkies from somewhere, surely Boeing wouldn't of got it that wrong

Aircraft were stored as per Boeing, engines are leased so were also stored in consultation with GE and as per the maintenance contract requirements.
No ones going to argue that Auckland wasn't the best location for long term storage, but this notion that some rogue managers just did their own thing is pure nonsense. Be it the OP or his Engineering "contact" someone's inflating the story....

Last update from Fleet was that of the 3 Aircraft in Auckland, we've got good engines for 1 of them while 4 engines are currently in the shop. Sounds like Corrosion in the Compressor and/or Turbine section(s) requiring new blades. If that equates to $15M repairs to $20M engines then color me surprised. However, exactly how much it will cost and who will be paying how much (Leased engines on Maintenance contact) has not been released.

kiwi grey
17th Jan 2022, 21:03
The story is now getting a run on Stuff: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/127517847/corrosion-found-in-four-engines-of-hibernating-air-nz-boeing-777300ers

Air New Zealand engineering and maintenance group general manager Brett Daley said ...“As the Auckland environment can be higher in humidity than desert storage locations, there has been some surface corrosion on four of the GE90 engines. These issues do not present a safety concern or impact the structure or integrity of the engine or aircraft." ... He said the aircraft were placed into storage in accordance with the maintenance procedures supplied via the engine and aircraft manufacturers. Air New Zealand’s local engineering and maintenance staff managed the aircraft on a regular basis throughout the storage period

i.e. "Nothing to see here, move along please"

packapoo
18th Jan 2022, 20:12
Good old Stuff. They catch up. Eventually.
You'll see that same piece still running in two or three weeks time...

Looigi
18th Jan 2022, 20:18
The story is now getting a run on Stuff: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/127517847/corrosion-found-in-four-engines-of-hibernating-air-nz-boeing-777300ers

i.e. "Nothing to see here, move along please"
I have seen the pictures... Surface corrosion my rectum!

I am encouraged by the fact that Air New Zealand are proudly claiming that they managed themselves into this situation.

Chris2303
18th Jan 2022, 23:57
I have seen the pictures... Surface corrosion my rectum!

I am encouraged by the fact that Air New Zealand are proudly claiming that they managed themselves into this situation.

Given the apparent bitterness I take it you are an ex employee?

Looigi
19th Jan 2022, 02:37
Given the apparent bitterness I take it you are an ex employee?
Haha, just a cynical observer.

Chris2303
19th Jan 2022, 03:51
Haha, just a cynical observer.

Ah, the good old NZ tall poppy syndrome strikes again then.

The Banjo
19th Jan 2022, 04:33
Ah, the good old NZ tall poppy syndrome strikes again then.

Taller than what? A hobbit?