PDA

View Full Version : Help with ADSL modem configuration??

rotorcraig
23rd Aug 2002, 17:25
Anyone out there able to help me configure a eBuyer ADSL PCI modem for use with PIPEX solo xtreme?

Phone line ADSL enabled (I'm told ... how do I check?) and ADSL modem installed, but immediate "Error 629: you have been disconnected" when I try to connect.

Thanx

RC

sky9
23rd Aug 2002, 18:10
I typed "error 629" in google and got this
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns629.asp

There are other threads that might help.

OllyBeak
26th Aug 2002, 05:03
I've no idea if this is relevant to your setup but I spent many, many hours - no, weeks - fiddling about with an ADSL connection. In the end I found that if I typed the username and password in upper case everything was fine!

Strange, and probably not your problem at all, but might be worth a try.

Ol.

rotorcraig
26th Aug 2002, 10:45
Thanks all, I eventually got it working by removing PCI cards that I don't use and swapping the order of the others around.

Now I've got a 100% stable and very fast ADSL connection ... once the bl**dy thing connects. Sometimes within 5 seconds of a reboot, sometimes more like 5 hours.

But it always retries again and again until it does connect, and once it does it's as solid as a rock.

Surely ADSL should be more scientific / less hit and miss than this :confused: :confused: :confused:

sky9
27th Aug 2002, 16:57
rotocraig
That isn't right I am on Openworld and had trouble at the beginning.
Firstly I suggest that you get onto the ADSL supplier's website and download the latest driver.
I generally find that if I get as far as "veryfying username and password" before coming to a halt it is the computer in the exchange. However the first thing to try if you have trouble connecting is starting up your PC without the USB plugged in then plug it in and see what happens.
It's worth it when you get it sorted out.

Spitoon
28th Aug 2002, 07:39
For one I would be cautious about using the latest driver. I use pipex on an XP system and lost connections occasionally - thought the latest drivers might help. Whole thing turned to a bag of worms - wouldn't even boot correctly - and ended up having to re-install everything. Even Windows roll-back didn't work! Spent hours thinking I could salvage the old configuration but gave up in the end. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

rotorcraig
28th Aug 2002, 17:42
Thanks everyone,

I've finally (and with due credit to Adam Skeaping, a contact made through another bulletin board) managed to establish a stable setup (:) :) :) - touch wood!)

I'll post the resolution here in the hope that anyone else searching the 'net for clues (as I did for many an hour) may stumble across it.

- Downloaded the latest (2.099.040.000 ) drivers from http://www.themad-house.co.uk/Conexant/conexant-drivers.html which appears to have eliminated intermittent GPFs in IE / Opera.

- Ignored the PIPEX assertion that ITU G.dmt modulation should be selected, instead selected ANSI T1.413 i2 modulation (top recommendation from Adam)

Strange resolution, but seeming stable and connects v.quickly after restart / reboot.

Craig