PDA

View Full Version : Intentional plane crash?

Andy_G
25th Dec 2021, 07:28
Hmm, Sending a youtube clip viral can payoff bigtime in this day an age, so Im skeptical. With enough expreince in both GA and skydiving and knowing some stuff they/we get up to, my radar has registered the possible stunt this youtuber has pulled.
Although it may be all completly absolutely true, in parts, or just worth the risks.
I crashed my plane
Im not so sure, so maybe your thoughts PPruners?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Dec 2021, 09:44
HO HO HO.....

I just hope that his aircraft insurance is 'null and void'....he had the option of an 'airstart'..but the aircraft did THAT all by itself... and he could have FLOWN out of there.....

'I'm Hurtin''.....
The Darwin theory failed this time..... or did it??
Why am I even responding to this crap????????????????????
'Cause 'tis Christmas Day and I'm half pi55ed....

See Yas

Repos
25th Dec 2021, 14:58
I'm not a pilot or a skydover so can't offer an opinion in that respect but it looks all wrong for a number of reasons and he's certainly getting a kicking in the Youtube comments.

I'm just curious as to why an otherwise successful youtuber would take the risks to produce stuff like this, I don't just mean the personal physical risks which may may not be as great as portrayed but the risks of the aircraft killing someone on the ground or suchlike.
Also the possibility of prosecution or loss of licence (like some people are calling for) or at the least reputation and loss of revenue.
Looking back on his videos he seems to want to feature in the Darwin awards, so maybe that;s the answer?

EXDAC
25th Dec 2021, 15:26
Not many people would board an aircraft wearing a skydiving rig unless they intended to jump. Might have been slightly more convincing if he was wearing a pilot's rig.

treadigraph
25th Dec 2021, 17:00
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/270066

What a waste of a nice T-craft...

Squawk7700
25th Dec 2021, 19:34
Disappointingly for him, it hasn’t gone viral yet. Once the news agencies pick it up he might have a chance at getting some cash from YouTube to help pay his legal bills.

Bull at a Gate
25th Dec 2021, 20:00
Door already open when engine stops.

Wizofoz
25th Dec 2021, 21:14
So you're in a life threatening situation, but you make sure you take a selfie-stick and do and film an extended free-fall before opening....

He also seemed to be raising the nose to get the prop stoped- yes loweer drag but not the first thing you'd do.

If it comes out it's staged, SURLEY there's a felony in there somewhere?

Stationair8
25th Dec 2021, 21:36
What happened to his mates ashes?

DIBO
25th Dec 2021, 21:49
What happened to his mates ashes?
Aaah, you didn't watch the clip till the end, did you? Crashing the plane wasn't enough melodrama for one clip
https://youtu.be/vbYszLNZxhM?t=915 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYszLNZxhM&t=910s) (can't make it to jump to 15:10 in the clip, so copy&paste previous URL or jump manually to 15:10)

H Peacock
26th Dec 2021, 00:27
Not sure he was a pilot, certainly not a very good one! Huge pitch inputs on the yoke, almost binary. The aircraft certainly flew somewhat better once he got himself away from the controls! 🤔

FMS82
26th Dec 2021, 01:43
What an idiot. Flying with a skydive rig? No intent whatsoever to pitch for max glide and attempt a restart? Tough terrain, but from that conveniently high bruising altitude, you had options.

But you did remember to bring your selfie stick and camera (but no water...) when you bailed?

Everything for a bit of digital love I guess. Hope they pull his license

megan
26th Dec 2021, 02:57
No rego ident on the aircraft either, there's a law about that.

Pinky the pilot
26th Dec 2021, 05:08
Wot?? He didn't stay at the controls and yell "Banzai' or "Here goes nothing! If I don't make it, tell my Wife/Fiancee/Girlfriend/whatever that I love 'em" or (insert your favourite so-called last words)?????:confused:

Bah!!:* What Griffo said is the best response so far!:ok: FMS82 is a close second!

Hope ya had a good one, Griffo me old..!:ok: But ya only got half pi55ed? Slowin' down a bit, aren't ya?:E

aroa
26th Dec 2021, 09:46
Body language suss right from the get go. Simple flight to drop some ashes, and it’s all a bit too jolly for such a somber exercise.
Next give away is the high altitude for the “drop” sorry jump. Complete with all cameras etc.
With that little light weight machine from that altitude and it’s gliding capabilities I see lots of potential put down places.
He wasn’t interested in any attempt to save the aircraft, do any engine fail checks or fly anywhere .
Im set up to depart so , I’m outa here.!
Engine seemed to be running ok on the trip out.
These old ,puddle jumpers, might be cheap in the States but as a chuck away item…..ridiculous!
pity the a/c didn’t land itself ok and the jumper came to grief.
As a life threatening exercise for Utube….FAIL

jolihokistix
26th Dec 2021, 10:36
He had a bottle of water with him in the back of the aircraft but it seems he forgot to jump with it.

Oh, and the casual “I crashed my plane” is not just “Whoops…” but ambiguous enough to include and even suggest deliberate intent.
Shades of “I blew up my Tesla.”

FMS82
26th Dec 2021, 15:33
Oh man just watched this again for a laugh, only to realize the door is indeed already popped before his engine "fails"

Our homeboy made a big mistake with this one. Trust the NTSB and FAA will make short work of the matter.

Sad that this is what people do for attention on the web.

NZFlyingKiwi
26th Dec 2021, 17:23
There's some pretty questionable stuff posted by some Youtube content creators. I'm rather surprised by this one, obviously it's staged but there does seem to be some highly dubious activity going on from a legal perspective... Not to mention the whole 'hahaha I bought a plane and crashed it' seems like ridiculous wasteful excess even by current standards.

finestkind
26th Dec 2021, 21:16
Interesting. The door propped open could be for the ash scattering. The camera's to record the event. But no rego and that there were areas that looked suitable for such an aircraft do question the validity of the engine failure.

Peter Fanelli
26th Dec 2021, 22:35
No rego ident on the aircraft either, there's a law about that.

There's a tail number on believe it or not, the tail.

NC2.... something.

TWT
26th Dec 2021, 23:02
The door propped open could be for the ash scattering

He never had any intention of scattering the ashes from the aircraft that he bailed out of.

As he states, he was flying to Mammoth Lakes where he would go snowboarding and paragliding and scatter the ashes while he was there.

chimbu warrior
26th Dec 2021, 23:04
The door propped open could be for the ash scattering.

Can't be certain, but I think the Taylorcraft (cousin of the Auster) has sliding windows, so would wonder why the door needed to be propped open.

ChrisJ800
26th Dec 2021, 23:10
Looks like he picked a perfect skydiving day with low wind and lack of clouds. He could have done a 180 after the engine stopped and got away from the bad terrain area. Amazing all the gopros on the plane survived the crash or was the crash staged as seemed like an RC plane crash into bushes.

Sue Vêtements
26th Dec 2021, 23:37
Off topic a little, because I don't want to watch the video and bump up the count, but I saw a beautifully restored Taylorcraft for sale in Texas a few years ago on craigslist and there were several photographs, including one of the data plate. When I looked closely at it I realised it was manufactured on the day Nazi Germany invaded Denmark

I'm not sure what was stranger: that you could buy and fly this piece of 'history', or that they were still making private aircraft in the US at that time

9th of April 1940 if you're interested, so well before Pearl Harbor

rb14
27th Dec 2021, 02:27
Hmm, Sending a youtube clip viral can payoff bigtime in this day an age, so Im skeptical. With enough expreince in both GA and skydiving and knowing some stuff they/we get up to, my radar has registered the possible stunt this youtuber has pulled.
Although it may be all completly absolutely true, in parts, or just worth the risks.
I crashed my plane (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYszLNZxhM)
Im not so sure, so maybe your thoughts PPruners?
The things people do for "fame". My thoughts are with the plane. Complete twit. Or something.

finestkind
27th Dec 2021, 02:47
There's a tail number on believe it or not, the tail.

NC2.... something.

Sorry not sighted. At what time does this show in the clip?

finestkind
27th Dec 2021, 02:47
He never had any intention of scattering the ashes from the aircraft that he bailed out of.

As he states, he was flying to Mammoth Lakes where he would go snowboarding and paragliding and scatter the ashes while he was there.

Yep. No audio when i first watched

megan
27th Dec 2021, 02:54
He's (Terevor Jacob) a snowboarder who competed in the 2014 Olympics, has had a few too many concussions I think.

https://traumaticbraininjury.net/2014/02/21/u-s-snowboarder-and-daredevil-trevor-jacob-says-hes-had-25-concussions/

Taylorcraft BL-65 aircraft reg N29508 registered to Laura L Smith

TWT
27th Dec 2021, 03:37
I had a colleague once who told me that he had had a few head knocks in car accidents in places where hospital visits were risky.

He didn't get checked out for any of them and his behaviour was extremely erratic years down the track.

Wizofoz
27th Dec 2021, 05:23

Did you noticw the absense of a snowboard and paraglider from the aircraft?

TWT
27th Dec 2021, 05:37
None of us know what what he did or did not have in the back of the aircraft :)

Soab
27th Dec 2021, 07:50
I hope the FAA nail him to the wall for this, and any money he makes from youtube will not cover his fines and legal fees.

Waste of a nice aircraft.

He's just pure trash.

Squawk7700
27th Dec 2021, 09:22
What do y’all think the penalty for this would be in Australia?

Lets assume it was over private property and if it was found to be deliberate.

megan
27th Dec 2021, 09:50
Dropping things from an aircraft? :E

Squawk7700
27th Dec 2021, 20:07
Dropping things from an aircraft? :E

Dropping himself from an aircraft?

If you could prove it was safely done, they might be hard pressed to do too much about it. Proving it was deliberate would prove difficult without an admission, especially if it wasn’t recorded.

megan
28th Dec 2021, 01:02
The aircraft was in production during WWII as the L-2 Grasshopper, used as a spotter.

FAA now have him in their sights.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/plane-crash-video-sparks-online-backlash/?MailingID=800&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=5G+Sample+NOTAMs%2C++Plane+Crash++Video&utm_campaign=5G+Sample+NOTAMs%2C++Plane+Crash++Video-MONDAY%2C+December+27%2C+2021

biscuit74
28th Dec 2021, 11:45
That's a disgraceful waste of a fine little aircraft, of considerable vintage - older than the idiot 'flying' it. Shame on him - I hope the authorities throw the book at him, fine him heavily and remove his licence.

Total nonsense suggesting there is nowhere to land - several good roads visible as well as small sections of open ground on which an aircraft of that type could easily be landed with minimal damage or personal risk. Clearly a planned bail out - no-one routinely flies wearing all that rig, with the door pre-opened. No attempt at all to look around for a suitable landing spot, straight into preparation for exit and yakking on a ruddy phone !

Plus, the risks associated with just abandoning your aircraft to crash anywhere, while small, are not inconsiderable - as pilot and owner you have a responsibility to others.
This is so much the bad side of the American throw way society, that someone can think it acceptable to simply throw way a fine vintage aircraft.

JetHutek
28th Dec 2021, 15:23
Notice no post crash fire. Did he realize he was running out of fuel, and pop the door preparing to bail? I also noticed he didn't attempt to adjust mixture or restart the engine in any way...which any pilot would do. But if you know the fuel is spent, no need to restart, as it won't run....

Pretty simple work for an NTSB investigator to track the last fuel receipt vs. any flights logged to check if there was much fuel on the plane.

nojwod
29th Dec 2021, 12:02
What a disgraceful, staged, fake, unforgiveable waste of a perfectly good plane for what? Self promotion? Reputation? Kudos from brain dead mates?

I hope the book gets thrown at him, I really really do.

Locked door
29th Dec 2021, 17:59
Most grasshoppers don’t have a mixture control (dependent on carb fit) and starting is via hand swinging the prop unless you can dive fast enough to spin it up.

kghjfg
29th Dec 2021, 23:23
I’m most surprised that “Ridge Wallet” have sponsored the video and I presume their customers think it’s “cool” and “far out” to crash an old plane.

Says a lot about the company that they’ve paid him for this.

Auxtank
30th Dec 2021, 09:38
I’m most surprised that “Ridge Wallet” have sponsored the video and I presume their customers think it’s “cool” and “far out” to crash an old plane.

Says a lot about the company that they’ve paid him for this.

I think losing Ridge Wallet sponsorship will be low priority on his list of worries now the FAA are getting their teeth in to him.
I hope they make a bloody good example of him and what constitutes unacceptable/ reckless conduct by a pilot in command. Loss of license privileges at the very least with a hefty fine for clear up.

kghjfg
30th Dec 2021, 19:20
I think losing Ridge Wallet sponsorship will be low priority on his list of worries now the FAA are getting their teeth in to him.
I hope they make a bloody good example of him and what constitutes unacceptable/ reckless conduct by a pilot in command. Loss of license privileges at the very least with a hefty fine for clear up.

Who’s said he’s lost their sponsorship?

They’re not distancing themselves from it at all.

Like I said “it’s cool” to their customers.

They must think it’s good PR for them.

As has been reported elsewhere, the FAA will do nothing, they’re not fussed.

If there is no insurance claim (Was he paid enough by ridgewallet to cover the cost of the aircraft) then he’s fine.

Auxtank
30th Dec 2021, 19:46
Sorry to be difficult - could you cite where the FAA have expressed that they're taking no further action.

Or is that just your opinion based on Twitter . . .

clark y
31st Dec 2021, 00:00
People will do anything for likes.

Another aircraft wrecked very deliberately. Didn't get into the air luckily.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5hGUQyKy0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9k6oOEBmrLY

kghjfg
31st Dec 2021, 03:37
Sorry to be difficult - could you cite where the FAA have expressed that they're taking no further action.

Or is that just your opinion based on Twitter . . .

It’s my opinion.

Not based wholly on Twitter though, as can be seen above there is a precedent for this sort of thing.

The problem they have is that he didn’t say he did it deliberately. There’s no law against not being a very good pilot, or making bad decisions in an emergency situation.

He’ll milk any court case to get more exposure for Ridge Wallet who sponsored it.

FAA can’t really touch it, they know it’ll go away quietly if they don’t touch it.

5 minutes of a few pilots saying it’s sad he’s wrecked an old plane. That’s all that happens.

What will Ridge Wallet sponsor him to do next, that’s the big question issue.

Will he wreck an old car maybe? What will get more outrage than this, this has clearly failed so far. Unless the FAA act, then it will make the national news, and him and his sponsors win.

Sadly, it’s probably best if the FAA do nothing.

Which is what a lot of people are saying is exactly what they will do.

B2N2
1st Jan 2022, 23:53
So he doesn’t always wear a chute when he flies, comment video posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSZuC84CEg

Squawk7700
2nd Jan 2022, 05:30
Sounds like the FAA are investigating it…

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/plane-crash-video-sparks-online-backlash/

NZFlyingKiwi
2nd Jan 2022, 17:45
That's encouraging. I think it is a valid concern that if he gets away with a slap on the wrist there will probably be copy-cat attention seekers out there that would give it a go, given the tendency for ideas to take off (sorry) in the Youtube/social media arena.

LostWanderer
3rd Jan 2022, 00:17
Who’s said he’s lost their sponsorship?

They’re not distancing themselves from it at all.

Like I said “it’s cool” to their customers.

They must think it’s good PR for them.

As has been reported elsewhere, the FAA will do nothing, they’re not fussed.

If there is no insurance claim (Was he paid enough by ridgewallet to cover the cost of the aircraft) then he’s fine.

Unfortunately I agree that the FAA will likely do nothing after a brief investigation. The guy had plenty of time to flip switches and tamper with the scene before anyone got a look anything (assuming NTSB or FAA even went to look at the scene, which I highly doubt they did). As suspicious and likely as it is that he did this intentionally, I suspect it is going to come down to lack of evidence on this one.

And also as pointed out, so long has he doesn't make an insurance claim the fool will walk away from this with a bunch of advertising revenue off the stupid video.

thunderbird five
8th Jan 2022, 05:19
Investigation closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwV9rn2794

treadigraph
8th Jan 2022, 07:06
Excellent! :ok:

Auxtank
8th Jan 2022, 09:05
[QUOTE=thunderbird five;11166999]Investigation closed./QUOTE]

Love it; "No disrespect to Johnny, just Trevor."

DaveReidUK
11th Jan 2022, 19:47
He's (Trevor Jacob) a snowboarder who competed in the 2014 Olympics, has had a few too many concussions I think.

https://traumaticbraininjury.net/2014/02/21/u-s-snowboarder-and-daredevil-trevor-jacob-says-hes-had-25-concussions/

Taylorcraft BL-65 aircraft reg N29508 registered to Laura L Smith

Marked (legitimately, given its age) as "NC29508" in regulation two-inch high letters on the fin. It's actually registered to the pilot (Jacob) at an address in Mammoth Lakes, CA.

Checkboard
11th Jan 2022, 22:05
Mr Jabob bought the aircraft from Ms Smith just before the incident. People who looked up the registration as the video came out had Ms Smith's name returned as it took a week or so to update the register.

Smooth Airperator
12th Jan 2022, 07:55
Is it me or is that the poster face of a psycho?

Wizofoz
12th Jan 2022, 09:08
Mr Jabob bought the aircraft from Ms Smith just before the incident. People who looked up the registration as the video came out had Ms Smith's name returned as it took a week or so to update the register.
And apparently it was over due for major maintenance.

So he had a servicable aircraft, but bought and flew this one over the mountains.

Smoking gun IMHO.

meleagertoo
12th Jan 2022, 19:01
If indeed this was not staged it seems to me incredible - that is, beyond the bounds of credibility that;

One would transit hills at such an enormously unnecessary altitude
Pump the yoke in that extraordinary manner that has no purpose known to an aviator (but maybe looks impressive on youtube)
Wear a skydiver's parachute
Not attempt to restart the engine
Not attempt to glide clear (from said enormous altitude)
Not attempt a forced landing in the many washes and meadows available
Have the "presence of mind" to bale out and play with a selfie-stick but not take water.
Freefall for so long
Not parachute from great altitude to a safe low-level landing area
Deliberately parachute into an inaccessible poison-oak infested mountainside crash-site instead of the above, with the addded risk of arriving at a bush-fire from the crashed aorcraft.

A truly staggering performance!

43Inches
12th Jan 2022, 22:04
Apart from it being in the USA, where anything is possible, this is almost certainly staged. The relevant questions are not whether it was fake, more so whether it was legal. Main questions are, is the pilot qualified, is the aircraft registered and maintained appropriately, was permission sought for the act, was the act performed over private property with the owners consent, what risk was there to non-participating public persons and property. At the end of the day it just comes down to was the aircraft operated in an unsafe manner whilst in flight.

The other guy that was doing donuts in his own paddock might not be the full six pack, but he did nothing wrong. No intention to get airborne, was just operating a motor vehicle to its destruction on his own land. If he drove it onto a public road or someone else property that's another matter, like with the guy that drove his plane to the local pub in WA.

paperHanger
14th Jan 2022, 11:15
But .. the most damning evidence, and who knows if the FAA have seen this ... are the two fire extinguishers in his trouser legs ... some eagle-eyed still framer managed to spot a few frames where you can clearly see the outlines of a pair of fire extinguishers, one in the bottom of each trouser leg ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/s3gqnd/and_so_the_plot_thickens/

Squawk7700
14th Jan 2022, 20:22
But .. the most damning evidence, and who knows if the FAA have seen this ... are the two fire extinguishers in his trouser legs ... some eagle-eyed still framer managed to spot a few frames where you can clearly see the outlines of a pair of fire extinguishers, one in the bottom of each trouser leg ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/s3gqnd/and_so_the_plot_thickens/

What was the theory here, he enjoyed watching Astro-Boy as a kid or he wanted to land near the wreck to extinguish the potential fire?

DIBO
14th Jan 2022, 20:57
you can clearly see the outlines of a pair of fire extinguishers, one in the bottom of each trouser leg ...wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly. It would be more sensible to hide two of these, as you're planning to bail out and spend some time in the 'bush'. Water to survive, not to extinguish... But the conclusions remains the same, one big fake, irresponsible promotion stunt, which should be punishable by law, failing that, cutting off all his income from this insane InstaTikTube influencer nonsense....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/148x459/sipper_water_bottle_500x500_664d910e712958ace8e4415d1e26152c 654968e5.jpg

paperHanger
10th Feb 2022, 13:02
wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly.

Look carefully at the photos, you can clearly see the pressure guage on the extinguisher outlined.

Hadley Rille
21st Apr 2022, 07:19
FAA have asked for their certificate back.
Jacob: "What?"
Aviation Weekly (https://www.aviationweekly.org/news/faa-rules-youtuber-trevor-jacob-purposely-crashed-airplane)

Less Hair
21st Apr 2022, 13:25
After only one year he can apply for a new licence?

Feathered
21st Apr 2022, 13:34
“During this flight, you opened the left side pilot door before you claimed the engine had failed,” the F.A.A. wrote.

Before jumping out of the plane, the agency said, Mr. Jacob made no attempt to contact air traffic control on the emergency frequency, did not try to restart the engine by increasing airflow over the propeller and failed to look for a place to safely land, “even though there were multiple areas within gliding range in which you could have made a safe landing.”

After the crash, Mr. Jacob also “recovered and then disposed of the wreckage,” the F.A.A. said.

“You demonstrated a lack of care, judgment and responsibility by choosing to jump out of an aircraft solely so you could record the footage of the crash,” the agency said. “Your egregious and intentional actions on these dates indicate that you presently lack the degree of care, judgment and responsibility required of a certificate holder.”

The post A YouTuber Purposely Crashed His Plane in California, F.A.A. Says (https://www.nytimes.com/) appeared first on New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/).

Feathered
21st Apr 2022, 13:35
The NY Times obtained a copy of the letter via a public records request.
“During this flight, you opened the left side pilot door before you claimed the engine had failed,” the F.A.A. wrote.

Before jumping out of the plane, the agency said, Mr. Jacob made no attempt to contact air traffic control on the emergency frequency, did not try to restart the engine by increasing airflow over the propeller and failed to look for a place to safely land, “even though there were multiple areas within gliding range in which you could have made a safe landing.”

After the crash, Mr. Jacob also “recovered and then disposed of the wreckage,” the F.A.A. said.

“You demonstrated a lack of care, judgment and responsibility by choosing to jump out of an aircraft solely so you could record the footage of the crash,” the agency said. “Your egregious and intentional actions on these dates indicate that you presently lack the degree of care, judgment and responsibility required of a certificate holder.”
New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/).

ORAC
12th May 2023, 03:48
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65567519

YouTuber Trevor Jacob admits to crashing plane for views

A YouTuber who intentionally crashed an airplane for views will plead guilty to obstructing a federal investigation by cleaning up the site of the crash, US prosecutors say.

Trevor Jacob, 29, posted the video of the plane crash to YouTube in December 2021. It has over 2.9 million views to date. In a plea agreement, he said he filmed the video as part of a product sponsorship deal.

He could face up to 20 years in prison…..

The 29-year-old pilot and skydiver has agreed to plead guilty to one felony count of destruction and concealment with the intent to obstruct a federal investigation, the US justice department said in a statement on Thursday.….

Auxtank
12th May 2023, 04:21
20 years seems a bit harsh on the other hand I feel curiously devoid of sympathy for him deliberately crashing a perfectly sound aircraft.

fox niner
12th May 2023, 10:35
Looking forward to his youtube vids in jail!

Stuart Sutcliffe
12th May 2023, 10:35
20 years seems a bit harsh on the other hand I feel curiously devoid of sympathy for him deliberately crashing a perfectly sound aircraft.
Intentionally crashing an aircraft could have led to the death, or serious injury, of innocent bystanders. That he did it for Youtube "views" says a lot about rabid social media adherents like him - selfish, venal, pathetic, mindless, shallow idiots. Trevor Jacob's actions were abhorrent, and he certainly knew what he planned would transgress laws, so if the laws transgressed demand a sentence of 20 years, then that is what he should get.

It's a case of cause and consequence, and there are an awful lot of people who say and do things on social media that need to understand this. How he ever thought he would get away with it, with multi-angle video footage, defies logic, and highlights his limited intellect. Let it serve as a warning to the many more buffoons out there. 🙄

Lead Balloon
12th May 2023, 10:50
And if he'd intentionally crashed a car, it could have led to the death, or serious injury, of innocent bystanders. But I'll bet leftie that he wouldn't go to prison for 20 years if he'd intentionally crashed a car.

The mystique of aviation is ... perpetually mysterious.

Stuart Sutcliffe
12th May 2023, 11:48
And if he'd intentionally crashed a car, it could have led to the death, or serious injury, of innocent bystanders. But I'll bet leftie that he wouldn't go to prison for 20 years if he'd intentionally crashed a car.

The mystique of aviation is ... perpetually mysterious.
Flying aircraft, even at the General Aviation level, requires more input of effort to obtain the qualifications, and should involve more care and attention to maintenance, flight planning (fuel and oil, loading, weather, routing etc) prior to every flight, than driving a car does. Aviation is subject to a different legal framework, partially because of the potential for death and destruction that could be caused, if aviators become slapdash about their flying.

You won't convince me that car drivers pay similar effort and attention to every drive they take. So 20 years incarceration for simpleton Trevor Jacob, for actions done entirely in the name of worshipping at the altar of Social Media, strikes me as well deserved.

Neither am I convinced that a similarly-minded idiot, crashing a car for the appalling idea of gaining social media views, who ended up killing or injuring bystanders, wouldn't be sent to prison for a very lengthy term. I think legal officials would take a very dim view of the actions of said idiot.

SWBKCB
12th May 2023, 11:56
Note that it's not just the crash but then the cover up of the evidence etc etc

Auxtank
12th May 2023, 17:42
Note that it's not just the crash but then the cover up of the evidence etc etc

Absolutely. I was just saying - 20 years in jail is a long time.
A longer sentence for me would be losing the privilage to exercise the rights of a PPL for life, which I expect him to get and in my opinion he fully deserves.

NZFlyingKiwi
12th May 2023, 19:29
Well, regardless of whether the length of the sentence is harsh or not, I'm pleased to see an outcome which will hopefully be a deterrent to future cases of 'use of aeroplane for social media stupidity' - although this is one of the more egregious cases there are plenty of other examples out there of people doing incredibly stupid things in aeroplanes for 'likes'.

Auxtank
12th May 2023, 21:00
Well, regardless of whether the length of the sentence is harsh or not, I'm pleased to see an outcome which will hopefully be a deterrent to future cases of 'use of aeroplane for social media stupidity' - although this is one of the more egregious cases there are plenty of other examples out there of people doing incredibly stupid things in aeroplanes for 'likes'.

Agreed. Like that bloody silly Red Bull stunt where the PIC's attempted to swap planes with each other mid-air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRRX9UoWkQY

Lead Balloon
12th May 2023, 21:41
If he'd intentionally crashed a car entirely in the name of worshipping at the altar of Social Media and covered up the evidence for the purposes of insurance fraud, I'd bet leftie that he wouldn't go to prison for 20 years.

The mystique of aviation remains ... perpetually mysterious.Flying aircraft, even at the General Aviation level, requires more input of effort to obtain the qualifications, and should involve more care and attention to maintenance, flight planning (fuel and oil, loading, weather, routing etc) prior to every flight, than driving a car does. Aviation is subject to a different legal framework, partially because of the potential for death and destruction that could be caused, if aviators become slapdash about their flying.

You won't convince me that car drivers pay similar effort and attention to every drive they take. So 20 years incarceration for simpleton Trevor Jacob, for actions done entirely in the name of worshipping at the altar of Social Media, strikes me as well deserved.

Neither am I convinced that a similarly-minded idiot, crashing a car for the appalling idea of gaining social media views, who ended up killing or injuring bystanders, wouldn't be sent to prison for a very lengthy term. I think legal officials would take a very dim view of the actions of said idiot.Thank you for making my point.

Ixixly
13th May 2023, 01:58
Auxtank let's not compare Red Bull which involves large teams of people and meticulous planning to this numpty with a couple of cameras and a youtube channel, they should both face consequences for doing the wrong thing but they are vastly different degrees.

Car RAMROD
13th May 2023, 04:00
Auxtank let's not compare Red Bull which involves large teams of people and meticulous planning to this numpty with a couple of cameras and a youtube channel, they should both face consequences for doing the wrong thing but they are vastly different degrees.

is this the red bull stunt that didn’t get permission, and both pilots had their licenses pulled by the FAA?
or something like that? I didn’t keep up to date, only snippets, so I’m not sure what happened with all of that.

if so, sounds very meticulous. Just about on par with each other, just one had a bigger budget and more players.

Ixixly
13th May 2023, 05:24
is this the red bull stunt that didn’t get permission, and both pilots had their licenses pulled by the FAA?
or something like that? I didn’t keep up to date, only snippets, so I’m not sure what happened with all of that.

if so, sounds very meticulous. Just about on par with each other, just one had a bigger budget and more players.

It was meticulously planned, you're talking about 2 C182 specifically modified for this stunt with two experienced Pilots/Skydivers, with the ground crew keeping the area clear in an area they'd thoroughly checked out to start with to ensure no one lived there or anything like that along with actually attempting to get proper permission. They just went ahead and did it without the proper permission. Nowhere near the same as a dude taking a crap box for a flight and jumping out somewhere then trying to dispose of the evidence afterwards and lieing about it.

As I said, both are against the law but to very different degrees, and is why one is facing very large jail time and the others just had their licenses yanked and are therefore not on par with each other.

deeceethree
13th May 2023, 22:05
Thank you for making my point. Did he? In which of your parallel universes did that happen?

Lead Balloon
14th May 2023, 01:37
I realise it makes lots of people feel very important being able to deal with and pontificate upon the enormous complexities and incredible risks involved in – gasp – aviation. But we are here talking about an aircraft that weighs less than half the weight of an average family car, is less than a tenth of the complexity of an average family car, could be flown solo by a 16 year old student pilot, had no passengers on board and was deliberately crashed in a carefully chosen remote location on a gin-clear day, injuring no one.

Oh the humanity.

Stupid and criminal and a waste of a perfectly good aircraft? Yes.

20 years’ prison? Gimmee a break. This guy (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-11/james-farmer-sentenced-crash-killed-baby/102205174) was nearly three times the legal blood alcohol limit when he crashed his car doing 200 kilometres per hour on the freeway, killing his son and severely injuring his partner. He was sentenced to less than 10 years in prison and will be eligible for parole after serving a minimum of 7 years and 9 months.

(Cue the nightmare scenario involving a deadly Taylorcraft BL-65 drifting, unpiloted, across LAX airspace, bringing down Air Force One into a kindergarten, incinerating 100 children, when the media stunt goes horribly wrong…)

megan
14th May 2023, 04:55
And if he'd intentionally crashed a car, it could have led to the death, or serious injury, of innocent bystanders. But I'll bet leftie that he wouldn't go to prison for 20 years if he'd intentionally crashed a carThe potential 20 years is not for staging the crash, it's for the destruction of evidence and and lying to the FBI. The crashing had been dealt with by revocation of his license previously.

Chronic Snoozer
14th May 2023, 05:32
I realise it makes lots of people feel very important being able to deal with and pontificate upon the enormous complexities and incredible risks involved in – gasp – aviation. But we are here talking about an aircraft that weighs less than half the weight of an average family car, is less than a tenth of the complexity of an average family car, could be flown solo by a 16 year old student pilot, had no passengers on board and was deliberately crashed in a carefully chosen remote location on a gin-clear day, injuring no one.

Oh the humanity.

Stupid and criminal and a waste of a perfectly good aircraft? Yes.

20 years’ prison? Gimmee a break. This guy (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-11/james-farmer-sentenced-crash-killed-baby/102205174) was nearly three times the legal blood alcohol limit when he crashed his car doing 200 kilometres per hour on the freeway, killing his son and severely injuring his partner. He was sentenced to less than 10 years in prison and will be eligible for parole after serving a minimum of 7 years and 9 months.

(Cue the nightmare scenario involving a deadly Taylorcraft BL-65 drifting, unpiloted, across LAX airspace, bringing down Air Force One into a kindergarten, incinerating 100 children, when the media stunt goes horribly wrong…)

Agree entirely. It was a victimless crime.

Lead Balloon
14th May 2023, 06:36
The potential 20 years is not for staging the crash, it's for the destruction of evidence and and lying to the FBI. The crashing had been dealt with by revocation of his license previously.If he'd staged a crash in a Morris Minor - a car of about the same weight and vintage as a Taylorcraft BL-65 - as a media stunt, then destroyed evidence, lied to police and made a fraudulent claim on the insurance, I don't think he'd be facing 20 years in prison. Depending on his antecedents, I reckon he'd cop a large fine and a short, probably suspended, sentence.

Zombywoof
14th May 2023, 06:56
All this talk of 20 years is just so much hyperbole. The guy is a dumbskull who pulled a stupid stunt. He's not an axe murderer.
The plea bargaining arrangement has been posted for all to read. It clearly spells out what is to be expected re sentencing.

https://www.pprune.org/11433997-post3.html

Ixixly
14th May 2023, 06:59
Lead Balloon Chronic Snoozer as others mentioned, whilst no one was hurt and it seems like a lot, this guy lied to the FBI and the FAA, 2 separate Federal Organisations, not to mention I'm sure they're keen to send a very strong message to dissuade others from doing the same thing and he showed very little remorse for what he did which often just pisses them off even more.

Lead Balloon
14th May 2023, 07:40
I see your point. If he goes to prison for 'only' 5 years I'll be out there, tomorrow, doing my own media stunts and lying to 'federal organisations' and showing no remorse.

gerry111
14th May 2023, 08:52
I see your point. If he goes to prison for 'only' 5 years I'll be out there, tomorrow, doing my own media stunts and lying to 'federal organisations' and showing no remorse.
I dunno. Anything over three years keeps me well behaved.

Zombywoof
14th May 2023, 15:18
For those who can't (or won't) read the entire lengthy Plea Agreement, the deal they've made is on Page 12.

In plain English, it says the prosecution will be happy with anything over 18 months, and the defence will be happy with anything less than 24 months. These are the terms under which the guilty plea was entered.

In cases where there is mutual agreement, judges like to play Solomon and saw things off in the middle, so don't be surprised if he gets 21 months.

Apparently the prosecuting attorney feels 18 months is enough to "send a very strong message to dissuade others".

For anyone who thinks 18 months in jail is a piece of cake, try it sometime. I'll wager your opinion will have changed by the end of your stay as a guest of the government. :)

Chronic Snoozer
15th May 2023, 00:39
Thanks Zombywoof. Makes sense and seems a reasonable deterrent to others.

Pinky the pilot
15th May 2023, 10:22
For anyone who thinks 18 months in jail is a piece of cake, try it sometime. I'll wager your opinion will have changed by the end of your stay as a guest of the government. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

And especially if, as I once read somewhere, that your Cellmate is a 22 stone, shaven headed male named "Bubba' who has certain preferences when it comes to 'matters sexual'.:eek::mad:

Squawk7700
15th May 2023, 11:02
I’ve been in and out of jail many times and I’d prefer not to be there, on the correct side of the thin blue line. Some of the long term inmates seem to love it. I guess they have no choice. Free board and food, can’t ask for much more when you’re down and out in life.

Smalahove
15th May 2023, 11:10
your Cellmate is a 22 stone, shaven headed male named "Bubba'... who snores.

Losing the ability to control your environment is not something to be taken lightly. The guy may end up in the softest jail in the USA, but you can bet he is going to be VERY sorry for what he did. All for a few bucks and some Youtube likes. Madness takes its toll. :=

MagnumPI
16th May 2023, 03:22
I haven't read the documents but I'm assuming it'll be a federal prison too. If I've heard correctly they really don't offer early parole, so he's likely to serve close to the full sentence...

...not to mention the risk of getting his cheeks busted or his wig split! :ouch:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
16th May 2023, 09:03
For those amongst us who may be interested in exploring this one 'further', may I recommend You Tube, the 'Blancolirio' channel, Mr Juan Browne presenting.

He seems to give a very factual description of events, and also quotes a few other matters, such as, deliberately crashing an aircraft into a State Forest, with the potential for starting a 'wildfire', all for the purpose - allegedly - of increasing his on-line audience to promote a..... wait for it....wallet.

Worth the look.

p.s. Mr Pinky, HHMMmmmm.......

megan
16th May 2023, 22:52
If I've heard correctly they really don't offer early parole, so he's likely to serve close to the full sentence...It's said elsewhere that for a federal offence a minimum of 85% of the sentence must be served.

tossbag
17th May 2023, 07:51
So, what's the consensus? How long does everyone think this ****wit should be locked up? Or not? Good behaviour bond? Tap on the wrist and naughty boy?

The bloke is a dead**** and it's a pity that a bit of natural selection didn't occur here.

Zombywoof
17th May 2023, 13:36
So, what's the consensus?I agree with Chronic Snoozer, I think the plea agreement is reasonable. What do you think? (I can guess, from the tone of your post). ;)

grizzled
18th May 2023, 03:12
Regardless of the time to be served (and I happen to think 21 moths is apt) I am also of the opinion that he should be permanently banned from possessing a pilot's licence -- or license... :)

tossbag
18th May 2023, 09:28
What do you think? (I can guess, from the tone of your post). https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

What do I think? Yet another attention seeking narcissist and youtube hero. You get 21 months in Aus for manslaughter so I guess he's actually getting a fair whack. Mind you, 21 months in an Australian low security prison would actually be a nice break from the daily grind. 21 months in a US prison...........yep, he probably is getting a reasonable penalty.

Zombywoof
18th May 2023, 12:47
21 months in an Australian low security prison would actually be a nice break from the daily grind. 21 months in a US prison...........yep, he probably is getting a reasonable penalty.I have no idea about Aussie jails, but please... 21 months in the crowbar hotel is NOT a nice break from the daily grind.

It's 21 months in hell, as anyone who has done it can attest.

tossbag
19th May 2023, 06:18
What I am saying is, 21 months in a low security prison in Australia is a walk in the park, foxtel, kayo, 3 square a day. What I'm also saying is, I'd **** my pants at the prospect of spending one week in ANY US prison, let alone a federal one.

fox niner
5th Dec 2023, 05:38
Apparently Trevor J. was sentenced to 6 months jail in a deal with the authorities yesterday.

Auxtank
5th Dec 2023, 06:41
Yep, the toerag's been jailed. That will (hopefully) learn 'im.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67622247

"A YouTuber has been jailed for six months for deliberately crashing his plane for views, and then lying about it to US investigators.

Trevor Jacob, 30, posted the video of the plane crash in December 2021, implying it was an accident. He ejected from the plane - selfie stick in hand - and parachuted down to land.

The clip was viewed millions of times.

In a plea agreement, Jacob said he filmed the video as part of a product sponsorship deal.

The former Olympic snowboarder pleaded guilty earlier this year to one felony count of destruction and concealment with the intent to obstruct a federal investigation.

Jacob "most likely committed this offence to generate social media and news coverage for himself and to obtain financial gain", federal prosecutors in California said on Monday.

"Nevertheless, this type of 'daredevil' conduct cannot be tolerated," they added."

Zombywoof
5th Dec 2023, 07:53
He got off pretty easy. He should be thanking his lawyer for finding a soft judge. The judge obviously rejected the prosecutor's argument. In my country you do two thirds unless you're a bad boy in the hoosegow, so he'd be out in four months. Luck was with him.

Auxtank
8th Dec 2023, 07:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD7wa0ztVUs

Less Hair
8th Dec 2023, 07:42
He got his FAA licence back already.

Auxtank
8th Dec 2023, 12:38
He got his FAA licence back already.

You got to be joking . . .

Bosi72
9th Dec 2023, 09:35
You got to be joking . . .
it's not that they "gave" him the licence.. he basically went from zero, theory exam, hours, flying test...

Runaway Gun
9th Dec 2023, 10:22
“Say, nice wallet! What’s with all the go-pros, and the parachute?”

KRviator
9th Dec 2023, 10:49
it's not that they "gave" him the licence.. he basically went from zero, theory exam, hours, flying test...Doesn't the FAA have a "Fit and proper person" requirement? Surely being convicted of intentionally crashing a plane and lying to the FAA would put him in conflict with that...

Less Hair
9th Dec 2023, 11:57
AFAIK he was only blocked for one year to apply for a new licence. He went through the entire process and paperwork and even did a video I didn't want to link to. To me he still does not sound overly apologising.

NZFlyingKiwi
9th Dec 2023, 17:15
That's ridiculous if true. I wonder how that would compare to if he'd been caught, for example, flying while intoxicated?

aroa
10th Dec 2023, 06:03
Apart from being a narcissistic ******** and busting a top little aeroplane, I wonder if anyone went bush to collect or assess the remains for a rebuild project. If it was got flying again it could be called The Boofhead Bomber..

aroa
10th Dec 2023, 06:04
Okay then.. Richard Cranium.

Runaway Gun
10th Dec 2023, 09:44
I believe that his recovery and disposal of the wreckage was his main offence. Destroying of evidence. Literally threw parts of it into various airport trash cans.