PDA

View Full Version : Future French Carrier Programme - EMALS

RAFEngO74to09
21st Dec 2021, 20:39
"The (US) State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of France of Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS), Advanced Arresting Gear (AAG), and related equipment for an estimated cost of $1.321 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.

More detail in full announcement here:

https://www.dsca.mil/press-media/major-arms-sales/france-electromagnetic-aircraft-launch-system-emals-and-advanced

golder
22nd Dec 2021, 09:44
I'm sure that's a mistake. The French are always saying. They are self-reliant and want an independent EU defence.

rattman
22nd Dec 2021, 10:00
Have to say sorta surprised. Guess its lucky for france the US doesn't hold a grudge unlike france

Asturias56
22nd Dec 2021, 10:00
They bought Crusaders for the navy, they're buying Hawkeye they're not stupid..................

sandiego89
22nd Dec 2021, 13:55
Psst, hey Frenchie, want to buy some top notch electric weapon elevators and airline type toilet systems for your carrier too? They work great...most of the time.....

tdracer
22nd Dec 2021, 17:58
Hey - EMALS and AAG went billions over budget - need to recoup some of that if they can...

That being said, I hope this means they've pretty much ironed out the issues with EMALS and AAG and now they are good, reliable systems.

SpazSinbad
22nd Dec 2021, 19:11
...I hope this means they've pretty much ironed out the issues with EMALS and AAG and now they are good, reliable systems.
"...At the end of the 18-month PDT&T [Post Delivery Trials and Test] period, EMALS and AAG successfully achieved and exceeded the Navy’s target of 8,000 launches and recoveries aboard CVN 78...." 04 Sep 2021 https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/09/emals-and-aag-successfully-performed-during-cvn-78-shock-trials/

Asturias56
23rd Dec 2021, 09:02
The French could wait for the Chinese version - which I suspect will look rather similar to that fitted on the "Fords.".............