PDA

View Full Version : R22 or R44 self fly hire in Cornwall or Devon??

slim40
25th Jun 2007, 13:01
Hi all,

Going to Cornwall (St Austell) for a week starting 28th July and would like to hire an R22 for a day to fly around the coast. As yet, I haven't found anything apart from Helmagic at Truro who have an R44- which would mean doing a conversion first. I'm saving my pennies to do a Hughes 500 conversion!
Any information as to whether or not an R22 for SFH is available would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Si

ppheli
26th Jun 2007, 04:43
There used to be R22s at Bodmin, but the current school there seem to operate S300s - see http://www.moorgoodshelicopters.co.uk - they may have some other ideas for R22s, possibly

pilotmike
27th Jun 2007, 14:14
As far as I know, there are no R22s for hire in Cornwall.

Graham Barral has an R44 at Truro airfield for tuition, but probably not for hire.

I believe there is a consultant who flies himself to Treliske hospital in his own R22.

I have flown an R22 to Bodmin airfield, John Bray's pad at Rock and various other Cornish sites in recent times, but it was from elsewhere.

PM

scooter boy
29th Jun 2007, 09:25
"I believe there is a consultant who flies himself to Treliske hospital in his own R22."

That would be me. ;)

I sold the R22 and upgraded to an R44 3 years ago, Treliske were unhappy about me using their pad so I land at the Duchy Hospital instead (which is adjacent).

Sorry but I don't know of any R22s available in the area.

SB

nigelh
29th Jun 2007, 12:44
you WANT to fly an R22 around the coast ....are you MAD :ugh: I presume you are going to overtake around blind corners on the way there just to add a bit more excitement into the trip !!!???............................i have heard of people who HAVE to fly them but WANT to ......a new one on me !!!!

slim40
2nd Jul 2007, 15:23
Thanks SB, looks like it's a no go for flying when we're down there this time. I could do an R44 conversion (a bit excessive for a one week trip), but would rather continue with the R22 and do a turbine rating on the mighty Hughes 500. I could hire an R22 from near home and fly it down, but it'd be one hell of a trip and my wife would have to take the car with all her luggage in ;-)

NigelH- and why not? Not R22 bashing, are we? Even though it's a bit small for me (I'm 6'2"), I've grown to quite like it! My instructors machine (the one I hire) has some funky doors on too that bulge outwards to give more elbow room, and they have sash windows big enough to let a decent amount of air in, and useful for photography etc. Still a compact cabin, but those doors do make a big difference!

Si

Twiddle
2nd Jul 2007, 15:37
On a serious note, why not fly the 22 down there, DHL your stuff for £15 and it'll all be at the hotel waiting for you, DHL it back when you're finished?

slim40
2nd Jul 2007, 21:17
That's not a bad idea at all. It's a long way though, and I have to consider the weather at both ends of the week and of course whether or not my instructor will let me have his machine for 7 days too...
It'd certainly rack up my hours!

cheers
Si

Twiddle
2nd Jul 2007, 21:32
one of the guys from Southend took a 22 to cornwall with his girlfriend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

nigelh
8th Jul 2007, 17:49
Yes but did he enjoy the flight as well ?

slim40
8th Jul 2007, 20:48
I'm sure he did! I'm going to do my Hughes 500 type rating on the way (and back), so I'm a happy bunny too!
Would still like to fly around the coast- it's a missed opportunity...

bolkow
9th Jul 2007, 23:01
LOL Nigel, great minds think alike.

Danny Wickens
20th Dec 2021, 23:20
Good evening all,
I hope everyone is well.

I am hoping someone on here can help me find an R22 or R44 that is possible to self fly hire in Cornwall (preferably) or Devon.
I have done all of my flying at Gloucester and surrounding areas so far, however, I was hoping to be able to fly closer to home for more of my hour building.

If anyone knows of anyone who has one or any ideas I would be massively appreciative!

Many thanks,
Dan

21st Dec 2021, 08:05
Try Air Cornwall and talk to Gary - they don't have helicopters themselves but Gary is also a helicopter man and will know what is available in the South West

Hughes500
21st Dec 2021, 18:25
You wont find one down here I am afraid, can do you Schweizer 300's Hughes 500's or As 350's