PDA

View Full Version : PPL in USA and conversion to UK?

Gucci Cockpit
12th Mar 2001, 21:30
Ladies / Gentlemen,

Hi, I am fairly new to the pprune scene and am about to emabrk on a PPL. Any advice help on the following issues would be greatly appreciated:

1. Has the UK PPL now been fully replaced by the JAA PPL? (btw what is a JAR PPL?) What is the latest on this topic?

2. Can I get a conversion to a PPL back here in the UK if I go out to train for a PPL in the USA?

------------------
"mayday mayday! The sim has lost one of it's legs!"

[This message has been edited by Gucci Cockpit (edited 13 March 2001).]

TooHotToFly
12th Mar 2001, 22:41
Gucci - welcome to the crazy world of aviation. To answer your questions:

1) All PPL training is now done for a JAR licence. JAR stands for Joint Aviation Requirements and is the result of the harmonisation of the various aviation bodies in Europe. There's not much difference between the old UK CAA PPL and the JAR PPL - except an extra 5 hours training.

2) You can do a JAR PPL in America so you don't need to convert anything when you get back. You will probably need a few hours though to get up to speed with UK airspace, radio procedures etc.

Good luck.

Gucci Cockpit
13th Mar 2001, 04:56
Thanks too hot, great help. Actually came across some courses today in the back of flyer and pilot.

btw how far are you in your quest? have you passed the PPL stage? going onto CPL?

------------------
"mayday mayday! The sim has lost one of it's legs!"

TooHotToFly
14th Mar 2001, 00:50
I've got PPL, IMC, Night, Multi and colour blindness. There goes my class 1 medical then.

Maybe I'll become an instructor instead.