PDA

View Full Version : G-IV crashed at Dominican Republic.

JanetFlight
16th Dec 2021, 02:12
Sadly with no survivors...Operator HELIDOSA and Reg HI-1050.
Seen couple of times here in Europe also...such a lovely painting...may all rest in peace.
Acc some links in spanish pilot advised tech issues and was trying to return to airport at Las Américas International Airport.
Seven Pax plus 2 crew,,,

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/12/9-killed-in-plane-crash-at-dominican-republic-airport/

Sikpilot
16th Dec 2021, 02:52
Issues immediately after takeoff. Control locks or gust locks?

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2015-09-09/ntsb-faults-pilot-compliance-gust-lock-giv-crash

Airbubba
16th Dec 2021, 08:30
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1031/hi1050_da52785533eb688f761f09cce70dd7381139d272.jpg
From FR24.

MarkerInbound
16th Dec 2021, 11:42
[QUOTE=Sikpilot;11156596]Issues immediately after takeoff. Control locks or gust locks?
[QUOTE]

They were unable to rotate in the Bedford crash and went off the end of the runway.

CW247
16th Dec 2021, 13:10
Judging by the FR24 data, speed was not an issue so assume not an engine problem. Altitude definitely was! 800ft orbits over a city.

B2N2
16th Dec 2021, 15:54
First rumors have it that they had hydraulic issues prior to departure then left and tried an emergency diversion after total hydraulic failure.

Pugilistic Animus
16th Dec 2021, 20:47
Does a G-IV have manual reversion?

DaveReidUK
16th Dec 2021, 21:45
Unsurprisingly, yes it does.

W9SQD
17th Dec 2021, 01:44
Does a G-IV have manual reversion?

And it is a real wrestling match! 😉 Push, pull . . . nothing happens. Push, pull some more, then the first push, pull kicks in.

CW247
17th Dec 2021, 10:21
Sounds like MCAS beta edition :{

Avman
17th Dec 2021, 13:32
A little basic history on this airframe: Built in 2001. Operated with several companies in the USA as N13J and N121JJ until acquired by the Helidosa Aviation Group in February 2019 as HI1080.

Incidentally, should this thread not be in Accidents and Close Calls?

DaveReidUK
17th Dec 2021, 17:58
Built 2002 (per FAA), I don't think it was ever HI1080.

Avman
17th Dec 2021, 20:18
Yup, senior moment, I meant 1050 and typed 1080. The info I have is that it was registered to the Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation (as N482GA) 11 Jul 2001, which is what I based my built year on. It may in fact have been assembled the following year.

DaveReidUK
25th Jan 2022, 06:48
Photo from the Preliminary Report showing the aircraft taxying for takeoff shortly after work had been carried out on the starboard spoiler:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/788x436/hi_1050_b19efb5a74cb3ad17f7a5d603830b78fc02a62a5.jpg

Informe-Preliminar-CIAA-108-21-HI-1050.pdf (elveedordigital.com) (https://elveedordigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Informe-Preliminar-CIAA-108-21-HI-1050.pdf)

ATC Watcher
25th Jan 2022, 07:20
Very sad as it seems it was preventable a if proper (visual) check would have ben performed after the maintenance. Also sad is the fact that it was the F/A first professional flight.

HOVIS
25th Jan 2022, 10:30
I have never worked on Gulf stream aircraft, but is it normal to have one spoiler up? It doesn't look like the corresponding aileron is deflected up.

AircraftOperations
25th Jan 2022, 11:00
I have never worked on Gulf stream aircraft, but is it normal to have one spoiler up? It doesn't look like the corresponding aileron is deflected up.

No, it isn't normal. The implication so far is that this was not noticed by the crew before getting airborne and therefore was a major factor in the accident. At what stage the starboard spoiler became extended and then didn't retract is another question. Hard to believe it would have been extended during a (if any) pre-flight walkaround.

procede
25th Jan 2022, 11:41
Maybe it was fine during the walk around and they only came up when the hydraulic system was turned on.

double_barrel
25th Jan 2022, 11:51
Work was done on the spoiler actuators immediately before departure. A Google translation of an excerpt from from the report shared by DaveReidUK:

Another video from the airport security camera captured images of checkpoints flight of the plane and the spoilers moving before leaving the main ramp where it was parked after passengers were boarded. During this time, it was seen that the spoilers on both wings extended, but only the spoilers on the left wing returned to a storage position, except in two cases, where the spoilers on the left wing were extended and put away twice, during the taxi to the right from the location plane parking.
During the taxi for takeoff, video from another security camera captured another image of the plane, this time from the rear of the plane, which also indicated that the three spoilers on the right wing were extended, and the spoilers on the left wing were saved.
Security video also showed that when the plane took off, and it did so with an attitude lower right wing with spoilers still extended.
Later an image of the plane captured by a witness attending a baseball game, while flying through the Quisqueya stadium. The picture showed that the spoilers on the wing right wing were still extended, but the ones on the left wing were not.

V12
25th Jan 2022, 12:00
Work was done on the spoiler actuators immediately before departure. A Google translation of an excerpt from from the report shared by DaveReidUK:

For memory the BED Gulfstream crash was with the one where the report exposed that the op.crew had stopped using checklists 150+ flights before? Correct me if I'm talking rubbish.

I just can't get my head round the fact that a crew can decide that 'up till today, I did as I was trained and always used checklists, but today I'm not going to bother and my PNF thinks that's fine too'.

Which chapter was that in, in the text books?

SMT Member
29th Jan 2022, 18:12
There’s all sorts in aviation, including the commercial side of it. Some are more comfortable with a less strict regime, some find the rules perhaps a bit over the top sometimes but understand the overall benefit, some insist on going absolutely by the book, and others still think they know enough to write the book. One tend to find the more questionable representatives at either end of the scales.

What I’m wondering is why no take-off config horn was screaming at them as they set power. Is that not a feature in this flavour of Gulfstream?

DaveReidUK
29th Jan 2022, 19:54
What I’m wondering is why no take-off config horn was screaming at them as they set power. Is that not a feature in this flavour of Gulfstream?

Clearly the spoilers weren't armed or extended for takeoff - in other words there was a mismatch between the position of the spoiler control handle (presumably in the Retract detent) and the control surface (extended on one side only). Whether that would trigger a configuration warning or not isn't immediately obvious, but I suspect not.

Spooky 2
30th Jan 2022, 16:22
I think the warning horn is a function of the handle poistion rather than actual spoilers on the model Gulfstream. Also, there are a couple of small mirrors that the pilot can see the physical position of the spoilers (I think?).