View Full Version : Work permit or not?

Qwerty1234
10th Dec 2021, 11:03
At the moment I live I a EU country but still work in the UK. My airline have now told me if I want a command it will be in another EU country than the one I live in.
Am I allowed to be based and work in another EU country or do I need to sort out another work permit? Or does my airline need to sort this work permit if needed? Would it be different if it is a posting rather than a change of base?
​​​​​​Does anybody have an answer to this? Or knows where I can find the answer to my question? Thanks.
​​​​​​

deltahotel
10th Dec 2021, 12:04
Are you an EU citizen? If so you have the right to live and work in the EU.

nomilk
10th Dec 2021, 12:52
What status do you have in the country you live? If you considering a new work permit you probably will need one ... The airline won't have to sort out your work permits, but it might help you. So talk to the airline.

(It might help to provide more detailed information - airline, citizenship, country and status of residence, etc.)

Qwerty1234
11th Dec 2021, 08:57
You guessed right. I am British.

deltahotel
11th Dec 2021, 09:40
In which case you need to have or acquire the right to live and work in EU, whatever the EU equivalent of settled status is here. It may depend on how long you have lived in the EU - I have British colleagues who have acquired this right by living in the EU for long enough and have done the appropriate ppw. Ask HR.

deltahotel
11th Dec 2021, 09:41
Ps. What licence do you hold?

lear999wa
11th Dec 2021, 20:52
In which case you need to have or acquire the right to live and work in EU, whatever the EU equivalent of settled status is here. It may depend on how long you have lived in the EU - I have British colleagues who have acquired this right by living in the EU for long enough and have done the appropriate ppw. Ask HR.

The EU isn't a country as such. If you have say "settled status" in Germany and would like to move to another Eu state ( say France ) you would have to apply and be granted such. This is assuming that you are a non eu citizen.

Denti
11th Dec 2021, 20:55
There is no "EU right to live and work" for third country citizens per se, immigration for third country nationals is a national responsibility and not an EU thing. The Withdrawal Agreement only secures residency right in the country of residence before the transition period was over, which does not include freedom of movement within the EU, moving to another EU country for work requires one to get a work visa within that country, the posted worker directive actually does not help here, it is meant solely for EEA/EU workers, for third country nationals only very short and time limited posted worker status is available, usually up to three months. If one has lived in an EU country for five years or longer he can apply for a long term resident permit in that country, and after he has acquired that can then enjoy limited freedom of movement in the EU, however, each individual member state has a very broad way to implement additional requirements for the long term residency status, so that again, is very much different in each individual member state, additionally third country long term residents in the EU have to apply for residency status in each new country they move to, which means having to jump through any additional immigration law hoops that country deems necessary. Another way of course is available for those entered the EU as a highly skilled worker under the EU blue card scheme, if they have stayed in the initial EU country for 18 months or longer they can move to any other EU country, however they do have to apply for an EU blue card there as well.

Of course there is always the possibility to marry an EU citizen, if that one moves country their spouse can legally follow them and work there as well.

jetjockey696
15th Dec 2021, 05:18
Looks like we (UK) are better when we are part of the EU. we are left behind. lack of food, fuel, lack of jobs, lack of freedom to work in the EU, long lines in the airport for passport control, no cheap booze run between UK and EU.. I think UK citizens were given no solid information about Brexit. just saying about job security(most of the jobs were hard labour jobs (picking veg & fruit, cleaners, waiters, lorry drivers not the high-end jobs.. I don't see a huge line of UK citizens lining up for these jobs) no more giving EU maintenance fees, etc. I guess some people were sold on that. didn't see the rest of the consequences. Now most people are regretting the decision, now there are calls to join the EU again. Now everything is more complicate

Alrosa
15th Dec 2021, 09:54
I think the implications of leaving the EU were very clear to anyone in the U.K. that bothered to inform themselves before voting in the referendum. I’ll leave it at that.

Climb150
15th Dec 2021, 13:55
So far the only people I see complaining about Brexit are,

Farmers cause now they will have to pay more than £5 an hour to farm workers.

Transport business owners cause now they have to pay lorry drivers more than £10 per hour.

(All the food shortage and empty shelves are being blamed on the farm workers and lorry drivers going home. Funny that British people won't do these jobs for the wages on offer and rightly so)

British pilots cause now they can't work for Ryanair based in Eastern Europe working for peanuts.

Certain people love being in the EU because it makes goods generally cheaper at the expense of wage growth and standard of living increases. Others hate it exactly for the wage suppression.

Pilots are generally seen as entitled rich people so nobody cares about any grievance they have.

​​​​