PDA

View Full Version : Converting FAA CPL to ATPL overseas in Asia

Bored_Aviator
9th Dec 2021, 11:08
Hey guys,

I hold a faa cpl and finally hit my hours for ATPL and currently flying the A320 in Asia. Is there anywhere in Asia where we can do the ATPL papers and check rides to convert cpl to ATPL or do we need to go back to the US for the same ?

Cheers

LTCTerry
13th Dec 2021, 16:24
It’s not a “conversion” since you’ll end up with something higher than you have now...

You need to take the ATP-CTP course to take the knowledge test. You need to take the knowledge test to take the checkride. You need an examiner for the checkride.

There are, as far as I know, no ATP-CTP courses outside the US. Pretty sure it’s ditto for testing centers. And pretty much ditto for finding an examiner.

You need a week for the ATP-CTP course. With planning you can likely do prep and checkride for an ATP checkride somewhere the following week in a piston twin. Call it $3500-$4500 for each. So, two weeks and roughly $8000 and you’re done.

If you can find someplace that does ATP-CTP and 320 type ratings, you can likely figure out a way to do the ATP in the 320 simulator and save a few bucks.

Be sure to look at the FARs for required aeronautical experience for ATP; there’s more to it than “just 1500 hours.” You likely have it all met, but be sure.