PDA

View Full Version : FR24 - value to airlines?

c52
6th Dec 2021, 14:01
It must be possible to work out quite a lot about an airline's operations from FR24*, for instance, punctuality, cruise speed, taxi times, turnaround times - but is such knowledge of sufficient value that any airline would employ someone to do it? Would probably have been a dream job for me in the distant past.

*other similar products exist

DaveReidUK
6th Dec 2021, 15:59
AFAIK, many airlines have deals with FR24 covering data of a quantity/quality not available to enthusiast users. I would imagine ditto for the major OEMs.

skianyn vannin
6th Dec 2021, 17:05
I used to use it to find out where the aircraft I was due to takeover was in flight and its ETA. Certainly more accurate than the nonsense the handling agent told me.

+TSRA
7th Dec 2021, 16:12
It must be possible to work out quite a lot about an airline's operations from FR24*, for instance, punctuality, cruise speed, taxi times, turnaround times - but is such knowledge of sufficient value that any airline would employ someone to do it? Would probably have been a dream job for me in the distant past.

*other similar products exist

The short answer is yes, airlines do employ people to look at that type of data. Every airline is different of course, but mine works that all out from the raw data supplied directly from the aircraft to our servers into both custom-built and third-party programs. My airline does not use FR24, but the programs we use do a similar job. For example, engine manufacturers have engine condition programs that permit a computer to take all the data points from an engine and then compare those against data from all the other engines in service. This allows the identification of issues within an engine ahead of time and permits better maintenance planning. The same goes for almost everything else in an airline. So much so that many airlines are accused of being IT companies that own a bunch of airplanes.

wiggy
8th Dec 2021, 07:29
I used to use it to find out where the aircraft I was due to takeover was in flight and its ETA. Certainly more accurate than the nonsense the handling agent told me.

:} Oh so true…our company OPs lost us after a diversion once….literally didn’t even know what country we had been in for best part of 24 hours…anyhow I digress - as far as Flight Radar goes…:

A few years back…LHR, snow (so what follows was almost inevitable…)….we’ve briefed and are expecting a “on time departure” :D

Get to gate….no aircraft…..check iPad - company sources. We and G-XXXX are supposedly both at the advertised gate…..I have a think, check a non-company source on t’internet…:E

Ring OPs…

Me ”Where’s our aircraft”

Them: “on stand XXX”

Me” “we’re there now, I’m looking out of the window. there’s no aircraft, are we still meant to be on G-XXXX?”

Them “Yep”

Me: “Oh, interesting because I’ve just checked Flight radar and the aircraft is currently over Lands End, inbound”

Them: “Hang on” … click…..wrrrrrrr……………..

PAXboy
8th Dec 2021, 21:07
skianyn vannin I recall sitting in the Premier Pass lounge at IOM with the screens all confident. Checked FR24 and we had another 20 minutes of comfy chairs!
All carriers must find it very useful and worth whatever FR24 can charge them. A virtual workdwide radar system? Priceless.

condor17
20th Dec 2021, 09:30
Wiggy , nice one .. just like the era of our dodgy tail designs ...
Milan , into transit to go airside ,
Driver '' ee no eere yet '' .
Us , '' we'll drive round ramp and do some spotting please ''....
Us , '' there's our 757 '' .
Driver '' ee no BA '' !

And even worse , the 2 of us sitting in the pier in Warsaw can't see a 75 tail ... 10 mins later think we should ask a ground staff , get up and walk towards the usual gate ... theres a company 75 !

Me , '' didn't know we had one looking like that , we should put in an Air safety report , or at least a staff suggestion '' .
My oppo , '' wots it to say '' ?
Me , '' Blxxdy dangerous to have one of ours looking like Air India ''

rgds condor .

HOVIS
20th Dec 2021, 10:29
Plus one here. Standard procedure now. 😁

dixi188
20th Dec 2021, 11:20
Wiggy , nice one .. just like the era of our dodgy tail designs ...
Milan , into transit to go airside ,
Driver '' ee no eere yet '' .
Us , '' we'll drive round ramp and do some spotting please ''....
Us , '' there's our 757 '' .
Driver '' ee no BA '' !

And even worse , the 2 of us sitting in the pier in Warsaw can't see a 75 tail ... 10 mins later think we should ask a ground staff , get up and walk towards the usual gate ... theres a company 75 !

Me , '' didn't know we had one looking like that , we should put in an Air safety report , or at least a staff suggestion '' .
My oppo , '' wots it to say '' ?
Me , '' Blxxdy dangerous to have one of ours looking like Air India ''

rgds condor .
Was at CPH one day waiting for airside transport to our freighter and a BA crew were waiting also. Saw wierd coloured BA aircraft taxi in. I asked BA capt. what he thought and he said something like " Just done ground school and was taught to say positive things about it to the public! But it's still crap."

paulc
24th Dec 2021, 14:10
Its very useful when picking up passengers as well. As a passenger i have found it very useful as you can check the inbound aircraft eta. A few years ago i used it to see the status of my flight from Manila to Abu Dhabi and it had departed on time so headed to the airport. In the meantime a large thunderstorm had built up and i could watch the inbound flight enter a holding pattern and eventually divert to Clark which meant a lengthy delay (30 hours or so)