PDA

View Full Version : SOL 412 - happy ending.

malabo
29th Nov 2021, 13:20
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yale-bc-canadian-armed-forces-helicopter-1.6266092

After the shrill cacophony of "if only NVG" on the Irish S-92, I expect the same here.

The crew certainly pushed themselves into a "now we're really fuxxed" corner with no way to back out. Saved by the "little" people with common sense.

Sikpilot
29th Nov 2021, 13:26
The world can use more nice stories like that.

Wirbelsturm
29th Nov 2021, 13:32
Seems to me that they made a very sensible decision not to push on into more dangerous conditions.

Nice to see support!

212man
29th Nov 2021, 14:54
darkness had rolled in quickly
I hate it when that happens - it can be so unpredictable sometimes…..

Good to see though, on all fronts.

twinstar_ca
29th Nov 2021, 15:20
I'm with Sikpilot, nice to see a feel good story and the appreciation from the people in BC to the help they are getting. They had enough ****e tossed at them with fires this summer, now this... and good show to the griffon crew for not letting "get-home-itis" occur and landing... :ok:

29th Nov 2021, 20:24
Good decision to land and great support from the locals - what's not to like about that story:ok:

MightyGem
29th Nov 2021, 20:46
Good desicision.

After the shrill cacophony of "if only NVG" on the Irish S-92, I expect the same here.
No. NVGs don't lower your weather limits.

roscoe1
2nd Dec 2021, 20:57
Many, many years ago after a lift job, we landed an S58T at a McDonalds restaurant near interstate 5 in central CA to have lunch. A convenient vacant lot next door. I'm well aware it wasn't a smart thing to do. After tipping over sone outdoir furniture and moving more dust than we expected, we were cringing when we saw several people, customers, the manager and 2 CHP officers who were having lunch, stride over as the rotors wound down. As things were being shut down a mechanic in the passenger compartment said " uh, oh this can't be good".
All of them including the cops wanted a tour of the ship. Nobody brought us grilled cheese and soup, we still had to buy lunch but people sat in the outdoor chairs when we left and waived.