PDA

View Full Version : Linton on Ouse Housing

NutLoose
27th Nov 2021, 15:28
It appears most are empty and the few civilian tenants are being evicted as the MOD intends to offload them, I just hope they will re occupied and not allowed to rot as elsewhere when taken over.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/yorkshire-families-facing-eviction-picturesque-22286545

Akrotiri bad boy
27th Nov 2021, 17:18
Drove past it yesterday. The pub's boarded up and the village shop is up for sale. All in it's looking pretty bleak.

ShyTorque
27th Nov 2021, 18:08
A really great shame. I trained there in the 1970s on the JP3 & 5 when it was a thriving and very busy place and the dispersal was full of aircraft. My daughter lived there in the Officers’ Mess only three years ago, three doors down from my old room. It was looking very run down back then.

I think I mentioned here that when I drove her back after her first bit of leave she couldn’t remember the combination to the push button combination lock on the back door. Something made me have a go and bizarrely I got it right first time. It hadn’t changed since I was there forty years ago!

It’s terrible news for the integrity of the village - the loss of the pub and the shop is shocking!

Downwind.Maddl-Land
27th Nov 2021, 20:51
However, as confidently predicted, now the place has closed the roads in the vicinity - having for the last 20+ years resembled ploughed fields - have just been resurfaced to billiard table smoothness!

Rigga
28th Nov 2021, 15:03
On a positive view, Coltishall’s houses and shops were all re-occupied quite quickly and is now a sought after area…despite HMP BURE on the doorstep!

cafesolo
28th Nov 2021, 16:05
#4. Downwind M L: Next occupants - School of tracked armour ?

Downwind.Maddl-Land
28th Nov 2021, 18:30
#4. Downwind M L: Next occupants - School of tracked armour ?
I won't be accepting that bet!

Fortissimo
28th Nov 2021, 21:24
It appears most are empty and the few civilian tenants are being evicted as the MOD intends to offload them, I just hope they will re occupied and not allowed to rot as elsewhere when taken over.

Similar stories ran in the media in 2020. Based on those:

There is no RAF or MOD need for Linton and there are no nearby units that need accommodation, which means its housing is surplus to requirements.

Annington Homes got a fantastic deal as part of the Portillo sell-off in 1993 (which ISTR saved 1p on income tax), which means MOD pays whether houses are occupied or not. As part of the deal, MOD is required to hand back housing in clusters (no pun intended). As a tax-payer, I would prefer MOD not to pay for empty houses.

Civilian tenants are on the same leases you or I would get if we rented any other property. When the landlord wants the property back you get notified. You only get evicted if you refuse to move out and can't convince a judge why you should stay put - from bitter personal experience with a buy-to-let property, there is a big legal difference between a tenancy being ended and someone being evicted.

It is a shame to see good housing going to ruin wherever it is, but that will be down to Annington, which owns them. When Bracknell was sold off and the housing handed back, even though most of the MQs were in good nick, the whole site was bulldozed and replaced with a much higher density development which no doubt made squillions for the developer.

I really enjoyed my 3 years+ at Linton and am as sorry to see the Stn closed as anyone else - the effect on the village should come as no surprise because the economic impacts of base closures are well known. Sad though it is, MOD and the taxpayer shouldn't be funding something that no longer makes a contribution to supporting the front line.

ORAC
10th Dec 2021, 08:33
https://twitter.com/kevinhollinrake/status/1468967572330598400?s=21

radar101
10th Dec 2021, 21:11
I think I mentioned here that when I drove her back after her first bit of leave she couldn’t remember the combination to the push button combination lock on the back door. Something made me have a go and bizarrely I got it right first time. It hadn’t changed since I was there forty years ago!

I think quite a few of us could guess what it is/was - I found a common combination to the messes on several flying stations. A number all aircrew couldn't forget.

The Helpful Stacker
10th Dec 2021, 21:30
I think quite a few of us could guess what it is/was - I found a common combination to the messes on several flying stations. A number all aircrew couldn't forget.

The "common combination" is the one that comes pre-set on those locks. Funnily enough we use the same locks in the NHS...

N707ZS
11th Dec 2021, 07:41
Must be an ideal location to locate families arriving at Dover and the South coast instead of dumping them in other Northern towns and cities.

radar101
11th Dec 2021, 07:49
The "common combination" is the one that comes pre-set on those locks.

The one I was thinking of is a number all aircrew/controllers would never forget

MPN11
11th Dec 2021, 07:57
The one I was thinking of is a number all aircrew/controllers would never forget
Of course ... 121.5 :ok:

ShyTorque
11th Dec 2021, 08:59
Nice attempt, unfortunately totally wrong! ;)

Herod
11th Dec 2021, 12:59
Wrong frequency band for a start.

spekesoftly
11th Dec 2021, 14:36
Wrong frequency band .... or subtle irony? ;)

mopardave
12th Dec 2021, 10:28
Of course ... 121.5 :ok:

I see a cheeky wink there.........I don't think MPN11 is actually telling all what the door code is!!:ok:

MPN11
12th Dec 2021, 10:36
Glad some of you got my geriatric 1960s reference.. And, 142.29 wouldn't have worked either.

ORAC
12th Dec 2021, 11:37
It presumably wouldn’t be a conspicuous number?

aeroid
12th Dec 2021, 16:46
Anyone there from the 74-76 years?

David Thompson
20th Dec 2021, 17:44
The story is featuring tonight on BBC Look North from Newcastle starting at 18:25 and will be available on iPlayer later .

ShyTorque
20th Dec 2021, 18:53
It presumably wouldn’t be a conspicuous number?

Correct and I absolutely no intention of revealing it here, or anywhere else!