PDA

View Full Version : Innocuous query about AM Gerry Mayhew

Jackonicko
21st Nov 2021, 13:48
His bio lists him flying the Jaguar and then (on exchange) the USAF F-16C, but no details are given as to which units. His command of XIII Squadron with the Tornado, and of RAF Leuchars are detailed in the bio, as are his later appointments.

Does anyone happen to know which Jag unit(s) he flew with, and where he did his F-16 exchange?

(I had the real pleasure of interviewing him in Dubai last week and completely forgot to ask.)

He seems like a really switched on, high calibre chap, and a thoroughly decent and likeable bloke, too.

sangiovese.
21st Nov 2021, 15:54
Can’t answer the question but known him since 1990 and a thoroughly nice chap he is too.

DuckDodgers
21st Nov 2021, 16:00
During my time he was a Flt Cdr on 41(F) Sqn, 2001-2003. No idea about his Viper tour, perhaps Shaw on the CJ? He remains one of the few who has stayed true to himself, Boyd would be proud. He would make an excellent CAS following the absolute disaster that Hillier was and Wigston is.

mad_collie
21st Nov 2021, 17:05
During my time he was a Flt Cdr on 41(F) Sqn, 2001-2003. No idea about his Viper tour, perhaps Shaw on the CJ? He remains one of the few who has stayed true to himself, Boyd would be proud. He would make an excellent CAS following the absolute disaster that Hillier was and Wigston is.

You spelt Wokeston wrong.

DuckDodgers
21st Nov 2021, 18:45

Ha ha! Absolute truth! 👍🏻

Wyntor
21st Nov 2021, 19:29
Mayhem....top man, always has been. Genuine to the core. Would be great to see him as CAS.

Jackonicko
22nd Nov 2021, 08:16
It's heart-warming to hear such praise for the chap, though I'd still like to know if his first Jag unit was 6, 54, or 41!

Your admiration is obviously shared by Ben Wallace.

Military hunt for head of the armed forces breaks ranks

Larisa Brown, Defence Editor

Saturday September 11 2021, 12.01am, The Times

Boris Johnson has requested that the defence secretary put forward lower-ranked candidates than normal for the job as head of the armed forces, The Times has learnt.

Senior government sources said the prime minister wanted a “broader pool” of candidates to select from for General Sir Nick Carter’s replacement, even if it meant them skipping a rank.

It is understood Ben Wallace invited three three-star ranks to apply for the role: Vice-Admiral Sir Ben Key, who led the evacuation effort in Afghanistan; Lieutenant General Sir James Hockenhull, chief of defence intelligence; and Air Marshal Gerry Mayhew.

The last two declined but Key, chief of joint operations, has applied for the chief of the defence staff position and is said to have a “good relationship” …….

jagnut
22nd Nov 2021, 08:35
I knew him on 6 Sqn in the early/mid nineties which I think was his first Jag tour, thoroughly nice bloke liked by all.

Jackonicko
22nd Nov 2021, 08:37
Thanks very much Jagnut, much appreciated!

Now all I need is someone who knew where he did his USAF F-16 exchange!

Megaton
22nd Nov 2021, 09:35
First Jag tour in early 90s was on 6 Sqn.

pete o'probe
22nd Nov 2021, 09:55
Former air traffic controller at Laarbruch who came over to the dark side. Nice bloke with a terrific sense of humour.

sangiovese.
22nd Nov 2021, 10:46
Former air traffic controller at Laarbruch who came over to the dark side. Nice bloke with a terrific sense of humour.

Fortunately that sense of humour continued when we lived on the same corridor in YHOM!

MPN11
22nd Nov 2021, 10:51
Nice to see another Air Trafficker make good!

Widger
22nd Nov 2021, 11:35
A thoroughly decent Officer with a great sense of humour - Ask about his Bruce Forsyth impression. Glad to see he has risen to the position he deserves

Bo Nalls
22nd Nov 2021, 17:05
Thanks very much Jagnut, much appreciated!

Now all I need is someone who knew where he did his USAF F-16 exchange!

F16C at Hill AFB - Reg News No 1 (2013) by Media & Communications Officer Scotland & Northern Ireland Region Air Cadets - Issuu (https://issuu.com/aircadets-sni/docs/reg_news_no_1_2013) Page 7

grobbling about
22nd Nov 2021, 17:43
Jacko, I seem to recall that he was a first tourist on 6 when I was on 54 (92-94)

Jackonicko
22nd Nov 2021, 20:57
F16C at Hill AFB - Reg News No 1 (2013) by Media & Communications Officer Scotland & Northern Ireland Region Air Cadets - Issuu (https://issuu.com/aircadets-sni/docs/reg_news_no_1_2013) Page 7

Excellent source! Many thanks....

Jackonicko
22nd Nov 2021, 20:58
Jacko, I seem to recall that he was a first tourist on 6 when I was on 54 (92-94)

Thanks GA!

Jackonicko
25th Nov 2021, 20:20

Funny, but a little unfair.

In my albeit limited experience, Mike Wigston seems to be a good-humoured, friendly chap, who is charismatic and inspirational, devoted to his service and his people and with an air power brain the size of a planet.

Now that's not as funny as calling him Wokeston, I'll admit, but if I was serving I'd be pleased as punch that he was at the helm.

Jackonicko
25th Nov 2021, 20:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYl1CDa92_Y

Gerry Mayhew interviewed.

Foghorn Leghorn
25th Nov 2021, 21:17
Funny, but a little unfair.

In my albeit limited experience, Mike Wigston seems to be a good-humoured, friendly chap, who is charismatic and inspirational, devoted to his service and his people and with an air power brain the size of a planet.

Now that's not as funny as calling him Wokeston, I'll admit, but if I was serving I'd be pleased as punch that he was at the helm.

Not unfair at all. It seems to be a unanimous view from the coal face.