PDA

View Full Version : A320 Nose Landing Gear Joint types

MAIBAY
21st Nov 2021, 12:17
On an Airbus A320 Nose Landing Gear, where the drag link attached to the strut (above the two steering cylinders), Is that joint a spherical joint ?

jettison valve
16th Dec 2021, 22:46
Yes - the drag link has a spherical bearing / ball at its lower end where it attaches to the leg itself, found it in the CMM of the link.
I might add that I found at least ONE NLG designed like this; I assume that all of them are the same in this respect.

Why did you ask...?

MAIBAY
17th Dec 2021, 02:46
jettison valve,

Thank you so much for your response! I'm a mechanical engineer who is an aircraft landing gear enthusiast. I wrote a book about mechanisms and how to diagnose them to see if they have the proper joints so that they won't bind. The method is called Gruebler's Count. My book "How to design mechanisms that last a lifetime" is on Amazon.com.
The math told me that there should be a spherical joint there, and you have confirmed it ! I'm not allowed to post URL links yet. But if you search Youtube for: "Gruebler's Count" you will find my channel where I made 3D printed mechanism models of many aircraft landing gears.

You made my day,

Thanks !

Le

Basset hound
14th Jan 2022, 14:47
Here's something of interest from Airbus about the issue of A320 nosegear cocked at 90 degrees, which has been an ongoing issue.
https://safetyfirst.airbus.com/landing-with-nosewheels-at-90-degrees/