PDA

View Full Version : Civvy Bulldog + Aston Martin Bulldog @ RAF Abingdon 1980

longer ron
20th Nov 2021, 13:33
I just wondered if anybody has seen any photos from a Photocall at RAF Abingdon in 1980 (possibly 1981) which included Alan Curtis with his Bulldog G- AXIG + the prototype/one off Aston Martin Bulldog + an Oxford (?) UAS Bulldog .
The photos were taken over on the far side of the runway on the Oxford (I think ?) UAS Parking Apron/Pan.
We also had a visit from the Cranfield A1 (which Alan Curtis was also involved with) but I do not think that was the same day ?
Nothing important but something reminded me of it this morning :)

Beamr
20th Nov 2021, 17:42
Found this from the most used search engine, but I reckon you've already seen it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/420x577/1985_aston_martin_bulldog_concept_bw_05_e4c489bbb998d0ebb327 07defb47e2e8698adf1e.jpg

longer ron
20th Nov 2021, 21:37
Many thanks Beamr,I had not seen it :)
I had not even realised that the car had been restored LOL,it was something else that reminded me this morning,I had not thought about the occasion for many years.
I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that some photos were taken of the car next to both the RAF Bulldog and Alan Curtis's civvy Bulldog but since the car did not go into production the pics maybe never saw the light of day.

rgds LR

Pypard
21st Nov 2021, 06:43
Saw the car a couple of months ago: it looks good but I have to say the styling hasn't aged well.

longer ron
21st Nov 2021, 07:28
Yes a bit of an odd design concept,especially for a company with Aston Martins pedigree.

I must admit I was a little surprised at the time that there were a couple of Bulldogs on the civvy register :)

muggins
21st Nov 2021, 07:45
As I recall, in the 1970s Scottish Aviation had 2 Bulldogs on the civil register as company demonstrators
G-AXEH the only Beagle Bulldog, and
G-AXIG the first Scottish Aviation Bulldog

DaveReidUK
21st Nov 2021, 07:53
I must admit I was a little surprised at the time that there were a couple of Bulldogs on the civvy register

G-AXIG, the second prototype Bulldog, spent its 40-year career on the civil register. It now hangs in the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh.

And of course all the exported Bulldogs were briefly G- registered prior to delivery.

Pypard
21st Nov 2021, 07:59
Plus the Bullfinch!

treadigraph
21st Nov 2021, 08:01
Scottish Aviation also had G-ASAL as a demonstrator, registered in '73 - a rare re-issue of a registration by the CAA, it was formerly SAL's demonstratror Twin Pin.

G-ASAL is still airworthy and based at Prestwick.

Have to say I don't think much of the Aston Martin Bulldog either - mind you I don't like the other angular sports cars that became de rigueur in the '70s!

longer ron
21st Nov 2021, 08:04
Thanks for the extra info re civvy Bulldogs everybody but I did say I was surprised at the time (in those pre internet days) - as I was not really much of a reggie s potter :)
I live fairly close to the 2 x museum Bulldogs up here in bonny scotland :)

longer ron
21st Nov 2021, 09:04
G-ASAL is still airworthy and based at Prestwick.
Have to say I don't think much of the Aston Martin Bulldog either - mind you I don't like the other angular sports cars that became de rigueur in the '70s!

Quite amazing/unusual for an Aircraft to be based at the same airfield for most of its life :)

DaveReidUK
21st Nov 2021, 10:47
Civvy Bulldog:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/591x356/g_aahh_d3ff6a8c42db25ea46d02b6d602148f5a390f8c1.jpg

:O

chevvron
21st Nov 2021, 16:53
G-AXIG, the second prototype Bulldog, spent its 40-year career on the civil register. It now hangs in the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh.

And of course all the exported Bulldogs were briefly G- registered prior to delivery.
'IG spent a long time at Blackbushe and Compton Abbas, the latter being where one of its users, courtesy of Alan Curtis, was Prince Micheal of Kent when he was learning to fly.
His 'landaway' for his QXC was Farnborough; my SATCO was standing in the tower waiting for the Prince to come up to sign his certificate but the Group Captain beat him to it by meeting him outside the tower!!

Fargo Boyle
21st Nov 2021, 23:03
Quite amazing/unusual for an Aircraft to be based at the same airfield for most of its life :)
Indeed. I think the record is held by the Shuttleworth DH60 G-EBWD which has been based at Old Warden since 1932!

treadigraph
22nd Nov 2021, 07:48
Not quite as long as Shuttleworth's DH-60, but Monsun G-AYPE has been at Biggin since it was imported by Air Touring Services in '71 and with the same flying group since '74 - nice to see it a few days ago, it is very active!

(Grasshopper G-BBLH has been there since certainly '77 - I saw it there in very early January '77 looking very nice in its USAAC scheme - and looking at the previous owners, possibly as early as '74)

Speaking of Shuttleworth and Bristol Bulldogs, they of course had one that was spectacularly demolished at Farnborough in '64 after and engine failure at the top of a loop. The pilot escaped with cuts and bruises. Eventually painstakingly rebuilt by Skysport, it's now on display at Hendon.

longer ron
22nd Nov 2021, 08:23
Indeed. I think the record is held by the Shuttleworth DH60 G-EBWD which has been based at Old Warden since 1932!

Impressive Fargo :)

A lovely a/c I was occasionally allowed to work on was Harvard KF183 which was based at Boscombe Down from 1953 to 2016 - 63 years not bad,a much more interesting a/c to work on than my usual Jets LOL

Fargo Boyle
23rd Nov 2021, 10:33
Impressive Fargo :)

A lovely a/c I was occasionally allowed to work on was Harvard KF183 which was based at Boscombe Down from 1953 to 2016 - 63 years not bad,a much more interesting a/c to work on than my usual Jets LOL
Another a/c with an interesting history G-CORS (Full History) - T6 Harvard Aviation T6 Harvard Aviation (https://www.t6harvard.com/uk-harvards/g-cors/)

deltahotel
23rd Nov 2021, 10:49
I thought I had a photo of this. The photo was of the AM Bulldog, our OUAS Ac and a doggy Bulldog. This was all organised by OC OUAS - a bit of a car nut. I then got a ride in the car back to our building. I can’t find the photo but will look again.

rgds

ps it would be 1980

chevvron
23rd Nov 2021, 12:50
Another a/c with an interesting history G-CORS (Full History) - T6 Harvard Aviation T6 Harvard Aviation (https://www.t6harvard.com/uk-harvards/g-cors/)
I knew the pilot mentioned. He had been OC Flying Farnborough before moving to Boscombe and was a helluva nice guy as were all Farnborough TPs.

longer ron
23rd Nov 2021, 18:25

Hi Fargo - just to let you know that G-CORS is KF183.

rgds LR

longer ron
23rd Nov 2021, 18:36
I thought I had a photo of this. The photo was of the AM Bulldog, our OUAS Ac and a doggy Bulldog. This was all organised by OC OUAS - a bit of a car nut. I then got a ride in the car back to our building. I can’t find the photo but will look again.

rgds

ps it would be 1980

Hi dh
It would be nice if you can find it.
I was posted into UEF approx march 1980 and I do not think I had been at Abingdon that long when this particular visit happened so I had figured it was probably 1980.
I had a couple of flights in OUAS Bulldogs + quite a few with 'the opposition' + even more with the guys on 6AEF - Abingdon was a great place if one was interested in flying - although it has to be said that my Flight Sergeant was not impressed with me as regards my flying :)

rgds LR

deltahotel
23rd Nov 2021, 21:24
LR

Abingdon was a great place to learn to fly. I left OUAS in Sep 1980, so between us that ties it down pretty well. I’ll have another look!

longer ron
24th Nov 2021, 05:31
Many thanks dh
One never fully escapes from the flying bug,I had a lovely day out in the sun yesterday at the gliding club up here in bonny scotland and am heading out there again today :)

rgds LR