PDA

View Full Version : Bonding

Push to talk
23rd Aug 2002, 09:10
People, I have a question about bonding.

I fly for an airline in th UK and when I started working for this outfit I was bonded on the type I was going to fly. Now, when my bond on this type is alomost finished (just several months left), I am being told to go to another type in the company, but I never bidded for the type and the company wants to bond me again for quite a long period on this new type, which I totally don't want.

I am wondering if this is all legal that they force this bond on me and can anyone tell me what the best thing to do is??

Regards

411A
23rd Aug 2002, 15:06
Look at it this way.
Are you quite happy with your current airline?
If so, and the new(er) equipment is a step up, then accept the bond (and upgrade) and consider it a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Personally think that a second bond is a complete waste of time.

OTOH, if you reject the bond (and upgrade), what do you think the reaction will be from your airline management?

Was only bonded one time, and that was cancelled half way through the bond period. That particular airline got their monies worth, stayed ten years.

In the early seventies was offered a position on a 707, but had to pay for training. So, off to PanAmerican for the required type rating course, and was slotted in directly to command on the machine. Best option for me because I had the cash available, as bonding was not an option.

My suggestion: use OPM (other peoples money) to advance your career.

Mr Angry
23rd Aug 2002, 15:18
It has always been my understanding that a company cannot bond you on a second type, especially if the fleet transfer is at the behest of the company. I'd get legal advice on this before it goes to much further.

Good luck.

Low-Pass
23rd Aug 2002, 16:02
I've heard of companies doing it. I think Channel Express used to do it though things might have changed.

Push to talk
23rd Aug 2002, 16:17
First of all, thank you all for your reply.

411A, unfortunately it is not a step forward, but a step back. And I didn't bid for it and I never would. It actually holds me back and disadvantages me. But I am very happy to have a job in times like these, but the comp. will probably say take the bond or become redundant, although there are loads of people below me on the sen. list. So a lot of pressure.

fireflybob
23rd Aug 2002, 16:30
Push to talk - I would have thought that the company making you redundant in these circumstances amounts to constructive dismissal - I would get some legal advice!

I am not at all against the principle of bonding, so long as the amount involved is "reasonable".

Is there anything in your current contract concerning converting to another type wrt bonding?

Suggest you contact someone at BALPA or IPA to give you some sound advice about this.

Firestorm
23rd Aug 2002, 18:21
PTT,

Sounds like you need advice from BALPA/IPA, whichever you are a member of. Some companies only ask for a bond on your first type in the company, and others will cancel the first bond and start anew for the second type.

Get some advice.

Push to talk
23rd Aug 2002, 18:22
Everything the company does at the moment is totally not what they said and promised when they hired me, so I asked some BALPA people in the company about how and what, but they said the company could do it, but I think they're just sucking up to the management. But taken legal action doesn't make you very popular in the company and your days are probably counted then as well. So the only option is getting an other job somewhere.

For me the reason why I get paid is not for the flying (because I like that soo much that I would almost do that for free) , but for all the crap around it!! And sometimes it's not worth the pay.

gr. Ptt

expedite_climb
23rd Aug 2002, 18:30
Yes channex do it when upgrading to 737, dunno about other types.

Push to talk
23rd Aug 2002, 18:52
Yeah well, they did it to people before me, including BALPA members, and they'll do it to people after me. So much for BALPA, I think they're quite useless. But I just don't want to let it happen without at least trying to fight it. I'll probably end up with trying to stall it, delay it, playing stupid, etc. (I sound like a fighter pilot in captivity).

Ptt

BlueEagle
23rd Aug 2002, 23:25
P to T

Just a few questions and observations on about your predicament.

I take it that this backward move is not in any way associated with getting you into the LHS either now or in the near future?

Are the company actually getting rid of/reducing the number of the type you currently fly and want to stay on?

Are you the most junior on your type?

Did you sign a contract agreeing to this bond system, (possibly didn't even notice a second bond clause, just too happy to have a job)?

You don't have to take legal action if you don't want to but you CAN and SHOULD take your contract to a solicitor, pay their fee and get sound advice - if only for your peace of mind and to establish if your employer CAN actually make you redundant if you decline the new type. It doesn't sound as though it would comply with UK law if they did but your contract may take precedence, again, this is solicitor country and you should talk to one.

Best of luck - you may have to bite the bullet for a while and just increase your hours and experience.

Smokie
23rd Aug 2002, 23:58
Sounds like a fine plan, delaying tactics sometimes works.
I was bonded on an aircraft that I already had on my license, bloody cheek if you ask me , however keeping my head down when I went on to the Jet , I managed to avoid the bond on that. Total confusion in the company at the time helped , lots of training going on.
Still get legal advice though like I said on the other thread.

Beware though, the max you will get out of a constuctive dismissal case if you succeed wiil be 25K thats yer lot !

Push to talk
24th Aug 2002, 09:59
BlueEagle, to answer your questions;no,no,yes,no,I might do that, thanks.

Smokie, I posted this topic first here, but then realized that it might fit terms and endearment better than here, but I actuallyget more response here. I am not really interested in 25K, I want a good flying job, where I can have fun flying. Confusion, that's what I want to use, because most of the time one dept. doesn't have a clue what another one is doing. Thanks for your response.

gr. Ptt