PDA

View Full Version : Drug test EASA class 1 initial

MarkieB
15th Nov 2021, 23:01
Anyone who’s been for an EASA initial class one medical recently please can you confirm if the drug test was a mouth swab or urine sample? I’ve heard it’s a mouth swab and just wanted clarification. Unfortunately during a spate of covid mouth swabs last year I’ve developed some sort of phobia. I can’t stand anyone putting anything near my mouth now, it physically makes me sick.

dns
16th Nov 2021, 21:51
Urine sample mate, no need to stress!

​​​​edit: sorry, just realised you're asking about EASA, mine was urine for CAA, but I know some places do a hair sample instead

rudestuff
17th Nov 2021, 08:33
If you don't like swabs maybe you should rethink your career choice? Commercial pilots spend rather a of time traveling you see...

FlightDetent
17th Nov 2021, 10:23
Touché.

RT-PCR no older than 72 hrs at duty start, mouth swab is a new taste indeed. Acquired quickly once these replaced the nasal drillings. :ok:

Denti
17th Nov 2021, 20:31
Hmm, i do enjoy flying low cost short haul. No tests needed, just my digital vaccination passport. Whether that is safe or not, different question.

When i did my initial medical there was no drug test, a few years later they started with drug tests (back then only company required) and required applications to have at least 2cm of hair for that test. Yes, on the head please, no curly stuff.

dns
18th Nov 2021, 03:41
I had a drug test last year for a role with the police... I assumed they'd pull a couple of hairs out, and was horrified when the lady taking them said she needed a couple of hundred for the sample... Absolutely crapped myself, thought "bloody hell, this is going to hurt!"

Then she produced a pair of scissors and I realised I'd jumped to a really stupid conclusion!