PDA

View Full Version : DH Call out

Cat3508
15th Nov 2021, 03:46
Have just been watching a video of a Turkish Airlines B 737-800 landing. Just before the minimums call out, there was another call out, " Decision Height " . Have never heard this before. Is this normal, or something that can be added if required.

Cheers

deltahotel
15th Nov 2021, 09:09
On our Boeings we get the auto calls ‘Approaching Decision Height’ at 100’ above and ‘Minimums’. This is if a Radalt minima has been selected. If no Radalt minima is set these auto calls don’t happen and PM makes the calls ‘100 above’ and ‘Decide’. Does this help?

Wirbelsturm
15th Nov 2021, 09:49
Our Boeings are set to call displayed minima as selected on the MCP (Mode Control Panel in the middle just under the glareshield) only if the minima is displayed on the PFD (Primary Flight Display). This applies to Baro and Rad Alt.

The call is '50 Above' followed by 'Decide'. In low visibility it allows the landing pilot to be 'heads out' looking for the required visual references for the approach whilst also making the call to 'continue' or 'Go-Around' at decision height which the pilot flying the approach would then initiate.

Denti
15th Nov 2021, 12:30
When i was on 737s they were pin-pogrammed to do an auto call out of "Approaching Minimums" at 100ft above whatever was bugged, and "Minimums" at DH/DA. For no DH landings there was no auto callout, which is why we bugged the CAT I DA on Baro and switched over to RA, that way we still had a triangle at the CAT I DH on the altitude tape which served as a reminder for a decision call at alert height (200ft).

Cat3508
17th Nov 2021, 04:50
Thank you for your interesting and informative replies. Much appreciated