PDA

View Full Version : EASA FI to FAA FI

adamlouis
9th Nov 2021, 15:25
Anyone know the process and cost for a EASA ATPL holder with a FI to a FAA flight instructor ?
I have about 2000 hours , EASA ATPL with about 250 hours dual given .

rudestuff
9th Nov 2021, 15:44
It's all in 61.183

Basically you need an FAA Commercial and IR (assuming it's for airplane) or ATP, training and necessary logbook endorsements then two written tests, training as required to take the practical test plus spin endorsement.
​​

LTCTerry
9th Dec 2021, 15:31
It's all in 61.183

Basically you need an FAA Commercial and IR (assuming it's for airplane) or ATP, training and necessary logbook endorsements then two written tests, training as required to take the practical test plus spin endorsement.
​​
You have to have an FAA Private to take the Commercial checkride - can be 61.75.

This can all be done fairly quickly assuming the minimal aeronautical requirements of each step have been met. A good instructor can weave much of this into a tight plan. You can do IFR training on the way to/from the practice area for the commercial maneuvers.

My suggestion:

• Buy ready made lesson plans; use them to study for the following:
• Get a 61.75 piggy back private (or use the new EASA-FAA framework?)
• Fill any gaps in 61.65, take the Instrument written and practical tests. (IR is not required for the Commercial, but it is a requirement for CFI.)
• Start flying the commercial maneuvers from the right seat. Work CFI patter into the mix. Fill in any gaps in 61.129 (note the section that says "ten hours (truly) solo *or* ten hours "fake solo" - performing the duties of PIC. It's all ten of one or ten of the other!) Take written tests for Commercial Airplane, Fundamentals of Instruction, and Flight Instructor Airplane.
•Take Commercial checkride in the right seat.
• Next day take CFI checkride in the right seat of the same airplane with the same DPE.

Option - consider taking the instrument ground instructor and advanced ground instructor written tests and get the DPE to do the paperwork for those too.

gerpols
11th Dec 2021, 17:21
Anyone in need of a FAA ATPL CFI, CFII, MEI / EASA CPL FI, CRI, IRI ?
Please give me a call.
Kind regards,
Gerrit Pols
[email protected]

adamlouis
11th Dec 2021, 21:21
You have to have an FAA Private to take the Commercial checkride - can be 61.75.

This can all be done fairly quickly assuming the minimal aeronautical requirements of each step have been met. A good instructor can weave much of this into a tight plan. You can do IFR training on the way to/from the practice area for the commercial maneuvers.

My suggestion:

• Get a 61.75 piggy back private (or use the new EASA-FAA framework?)
• Fill any gaps in 61.65, take the Instrument written and practical tests. (IR is not required for the Commercial, but it is a requirement for CFI.)
• Start flying the commercial maneuvers from the right seat. Work CFI patter into the mix. Fill in any gaps in 61.129 (note the section that says "ten hours (truly) solo *or* ten hours "fake solo" - performing the duties of PIC. It's all ten of one or ten of the other!) Take written tests for Commercial Airplane, Fundamentals of Instruction, and Flight Instructor Airplane.
•Take Commercial checkride in the right seat.
• Next day take CFI checkride in the right seat of the same airplane with the same DPE.

Option - consider taking the instrument ground instructor and advanced ground instructor written tests and get the DPE to do the paperwork for those too.

Do you know approximately how much all these steps would set me back?