PDA

View Full Version : A321 NEO Noise

pax britanica
7th Nov 2021, 17:14
I went to Prague a week or so ago, first trip on a BA A321 NEO .

I was in row 7 just ahead of the engine which seemed quite noise on the ground and pretty moisy on take off. Didnt have the buzz saw noise at noise abatement but it was for amodern aircraft pretty noisy, low growl sound in the cruise.

I know the engines are different but the NEO seemed a lot noisier than my return on a regular 320
Mind you the barking dog in the hold noise seems to have gone on the NEO .

Any one else had a similar opportunity to compare.

Other comments on the flight, the outbound on the A321 was absolutely jammed, comfy ride, v impressive take off at LHR . Even with reduced traffic we still trundled all the way round London at 6000 Ft on a Dover departure not climbing until well beyond Biggin . Leavign Prague, not many Pax at all , a sad quiet airport with no national carrier with CSA's demise' we climbed straight to FL350 no hint of breaks in the climb.

Using some Avios for business class to get the extra bags we needed we got a very good (for an airline) full English in and out . Seemed very popular with the other pax.

And nice to fly again after just over 2 years

PAXboy
7th Nov 2021, 21:49
I'll ask the obvious question Is the 'Barking Dog' still carried in the NEO? This might not be the noise you heard but worth excluding from the enquiry! Searching for Airbus Barking Dog clarifies the sound.

I think I've only been on a NEO once and cannot recall any sound put of the ordinary.

redsnail
8th Nov 2021, 08:11
Yeah, the engine sound is different :) I can't recall it being noisier per se.

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2021, 08:38
I haven't flown on either yet, but I would imagine that PW GTF-powered A320/A321s sound rather different from BA's CFM-powered neos - does anyone have any experience of them ?

pax britanica
8th Nov 2021, 12:33
The barking dog comment was just an observation , it would in any event seem logical for Airbus to have redesigned the 'power transfer unit' that cuased that noise.

In fact as was pointed out I would agree that the NEO noise was more obtrusive than actually louder, nothing too negative, certainly wouldnt put me off flying on one again and of course the engines are different. i suppose one just gets used to the pattern of new aircraft /new engines less noise.

Certainly got off the ground at LHR quickly but if it can cross the pond then a quick trip to Prague even full isn't going to be a challenge is it

redsnail
8th Nov 2021, 13:50
I'd have to ask Checkboard what easyJet's are. Flown on BA's Neo.

HOVIS
8th Nov 2021, 15:17
AFAIK the PTU is still there and still barks.

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2021, 17:44
Good old banana pumps ... :O

I'd have been surprised if the neo's hydraulic system differed much from that of the ceo.

pax britanica
8th Nov 2021, 17:46
the barking dog noise isnt on every flight as I recall its only when some sort of pumping is required, it wasn't heard on my NEO trip but then it wasnt on the return 320 either.

S.o.S.
8th Nov 2021, 18:00
Let sleeping dogs lie ... :ok:

HOVIS
8th Nov 2021, 20:55
Usually when one engine is shutdown. The PTU kicks in to maintain hydraulic pressure in the yellow/green system.

Davef68
24th Nov 2021, 00:29
I've found NEOs quieter sitting behind the engines

krismiler
24th Nov 2021, 07:34
There is a definite difference in the engine sound between the IAE V2500 on the CEO and the P&W on the NEO. The P&W is geared which may have something to do with it.

When performing single engine taxi, the right engine is shutdown and the yellow (right) hydraulic system electric pump is then switched on, which wakes up the dog as the pressure drops. When parked, opening the hold doors uses yellow system pressure which may also disturb the dog.