PDA

View Full Version : Adding SIC Type Rating To My FAA License

Mr_C4
7th Nov 2021, 13:36
I recently got hired as a first officer for a company that flies EBM-120s. I have completed a SIC course for the aircraft at Flight Safety International and i have completed the necessary take offs and landings in the actual aircraft. I am being told, that I now need to log into my IACRA account and complete the necessary application and arrange an appointment at the nearest FSDO. I have contacted two FSDOs to arrange an appointment, the FSDO in Atlanta and the one in Miami. Atlanta is saying that everything is now done virtually but there is a 2 week wait time or I can contact a DPE and have it done, while Miami is saying that they no longer process SIC's and they have delegated the task to DPEs.

My question is, is there anyone here that can advise me which other FSDO processes the application virtually but does not have such a lengthy wait time or if there is a DPE that can process the application virtually as I am currently outside of the USA.

Thanks in advance

Climb150
7th Nov 2021, 14:12
The DPE that did your check ride should have added it to your FAA cert. Contact that person.

Mr_C4
7th Nov 2021, 21:35
Didnt do a check ride with a DPE, I did the take off and landings with a training captain that works for the airline. Only thing he can do is sign the IACRA form as an RI (Recommending Instructor).

Climb150
8th Nov 2021, 16:06
You said you did the sim at FSI. Why didn’t they ad it to to cert? An SIC type doesn’t require take offs and landings to be valid.

Mr_C4
8th Nov 2021, 23:03
14 CFR 61.55(j) When an applicant for an initial second-in-command qualification for a particular type of aircraft receives all the training in a flight simulator, that applicant must satisfactorily complete one takeoff and one landing in an aircraft of the same type for which the qualification is sought. This requirement does not apply to an applicant who completes a proficiency check under part 121 or competency check under subpart K, part 91, part 125, or part 135 for the particular type of aircraft.

Therefore after my training at FSI, I had to complete a take of and landing with a company line trainer in the actual plane to fulfill the requirements.

Climb150
9th Nov 2021, 18:27
So your training wasn’t conducted in accordance to a company specific training or proficiency program? You paid for the rating yourself and got FSI to do a generic rating? Now you are in a third country with no FAA DPE available to sign you off?

As you mentioned earlier, many FSDOs are closed and they are putting this work out to independent DPEs. Your only choice is find a DPE in the USA to do it (most likely have to come to USA in person) or ask an FSI DPE at the training centre you got the type from to do it. Whatever company you work for would have known all this so they should have a system in place already.

Is this an Eagle Jet thing?

340drvr
9th Nov 2021, 19:04
You might post your query over on Pilots of America, I know there are a couple of DPEs that frequent those forums.