PDA

View Full Version : A P W Tait aka fareastdriver

Old-Duffer
5th Nov 2021, 18:47
Ladies and Gentlemen,
It is with much sadness that I must record the passing on 1 Nov 21 of FAREASTDRIVER - stage name Al Tait.

Al was a Rhodesian and came to UK in 1960 entering the RAF via South Cerney, followed by the usual passage to a seat in the Valiant and when the seat collapsed he went to helicopters. Tern Hill led to 230 Sqn in Borneo and thence the Puma and after leaving the RAF he spent many years in China - I understand his logbooks are pretty full.
Al was a member of a gang called the Old Rotors, which he supported over about 20 years.
Al, who seemed remarkably fit, was taken ill recently apparently not Covid, and died when complications set in when he was in hospital.
The details of his funeral are that it is a family affair and will be in Aberdeen where he and Betty, his wife lived.

Old Duffer

Brian 48nav
5th Nov 2021, 18:58
That's sad news! FED was one of those posters here whose contribution I always looked out for.

NutLoose
5th Nov 2021, 20:08
That is sad news, I really enjoyed his posts and he will sorely be missed, please pass on my sincere condolences to his family and friends, such a terrible loss.

MPN11
5th Nov 2021, 20:49
Oh, damn! RIP, FED … you have entertained and informed this old non-aircrew endlessly over the years.

Jobza Guddun
5th Nov 2021, 21:24
RIP FED. Enjoyed his posts for many years, particularly the informed opinions on matters out East.

MightyGem
5th Nov 2021, 21:31
Sad news. RIP Al.

Lyneham Lad
5th Nov 2021, 22:06
Sad news indeed - I shall miss his informed and interesting posts. Condolences to his family.

RIP.

longer ron
5th Nov 2021, 22:22
:( Sad news RIP Al

megan
6th Nov 2021, 02:35
Can only concur with all said above, always looked forward to his contributions, will be sadly missed. Fly high FED.

ShyTorque
6th Nov 2021, 07:41
I’m really sad to hear this. I hadn’t actually met him, but from PM exchanges here I know that we had flown on the same squadron at different times then operated in the same airspace and been on frequency together when he flew the Puma in the Far East in the 1990s.

My sincere condolences to his family. He will be missed here, too.

S.

Asturias56
6th Nov 2021, 08:43
Very sad - we often didn't see eye to eye but he never descended into any form of unpleasantness. I always felt I'd like to have met him in the flesh.

he'll be missed :(

treadigraph
7th Nov 2021, 09:57
I am sorry, always a great contributor and very much a Gentleman. So sad...

Barksdale Boy
7th Nov 2021, 12:29
As Treaders says - so sad. I was always interested in what he had to say, especially about China - he having lived there.

Winnie
7th Nov 2021, 12:57
Very sad new. sorry to hear.

Tashengurt
7th Nov 2021, 21:05
One of those names you take for granted on the forum.
Thankyou for recording his passing, too many on here just fade away.

langleybaston
7th Nov 2021, 21:45
Blue skies sir

teeteringhead
8th Nov 2021, 09:20
Top Bloke

RIP Al

Krystal n chips
8th Nov 2021, 09:39
We were polar opposites in just about every respect. However, I did enjoy his accounts about living and working in China.

I can, however, relate directly to a sudden and unexpected passing along with the emotional effect this has on family.

I extend my genuine condolences and sympathy to those of his family so affected in this difficult time for them.

Davef68
8th Nov 2021, 10:44
Sad news, I always enjoyed his posts, espcially those which he accompanied with photos!

212man
8th Nov 2021, 13:15
It was sad news indeed and there are a lot of comments on the Bristow Old Gits FB page. I flew with him for several years in Aberdeen and always enjoyed his laid back calm nature, and chatting about his experiences earlier in his career, on Valiants, Whirlwinds and Pumas. He had a wealth of knowledge and no airs and graces - most ably demonstrated by his somewhat casual approach to his uniform!

Cornish Jack
9th Nov 2021, 08:21
FED went through Valley as one of a large number of rotary conversions in the mid 60s. Just checked and we flew together at least twice - once on 'wet winching' and once on wets and decks in November '65.Sad news but so many of that era are no longer with us.