PDA

View Full Version : HLS Obstacle Plotting Software?

EESDL
3rd Nov 2021, 13:33
Looking for pointers to any software to make this task easier. Ideally overlaying compass bearings on a panoramic picture - for example - open to ideas

PPRuNeUser0211
3rd Nov 2021, 19:11
Looking for pointers to any software to make this task easier. Ideally overlaying compass bearings on a panoramic picture - for example - open to ideas

What kind of output are you looking for? Digital? Or paper/document type

EESDL
3rd Nov 2021, 23:14
What kind of output are you looking for? Digital? Or paper/document type

both would be nice but if I had to choose then paper ……..

PPRuNeUser0211
4th Nov 2021, 06:12
both would be nice but if I had to choose then paper ……..

If you can use a laptop/windows tablet for the task, QGIS is pretty decent for mapping and printing the output. That would allow you to maintain an obstacle file for each location and plot them on any kind of underlying map you have access to, then allow you to print. It also allows for pretty easy import of external sources of data if you have access to any.

There's a bit of a learning curve to it, but it's free so there's a lot of online tutorials available.

If you want to go all digital, small number of devices and are happy to use android (and promise not to operate in North Korea or Iran!) ATAK on Android allows a really simple interface and gives you the information on a moving map as well, which is an added benefit.

If you're going to the HLS's in person, you can do a recce using ATAK on a phone then export the marked points to KML and import them into QGIS for subsequent maintenance/editing.

roulette
4th Nov 2021, 07:45

We've got software to do that, but it's part a much larger suite and may be too complex for what you require.
Have you tried using Google Earth - that's free and pretty easy to do (except you need to add/subtract the local magvar because bearings in Google Earth are °T)?

PM me if you want to discuss further.

cheers

CS-Hover
10th Nov 2021, 14:55
not sure if it is what you need, but works for me :rolleyes:

https://hunter.pairsite.com/theodolite/