PDA

View Full Version : EASA and UK National PPLs. Post Brexit.

Maoraigh1
31st Oct 2021, 23:28
I paid. to retain my UK National PPL when I converted to EASA, and received a blue folder with two licences.
Does anyone know the status of these now? Are there still different privelages?9
I've always revalidated by experience, but in 2019 only the EASA one was signed after my "hour with an instructor", and I was told could not be revalidated this year. My log book was signed in 2019 and 2021.
The hours logged apply to both licenses, I think.

ETOPS
1st Nov 2021, 07:35
Good question. I'm in a similar position having had a UK PPL (the brown one) for a couple of decades but use my SEP privilege on my EASA (now CAA) part FCL licence.
Last year only the Easa one was signed as in your case - I'm wondering what the latest licencing review will throw up with a view to amalgamating these UK licences?

md 600 driver
1st Nov 2021, 08:14
I have a national ppl h it was a poo brown then a blue one now a sheet of A4 been told by the CAA is is now only usable with non part 21 aircraft
which I believe are home built / permit to fly is this correct as I could fly certified aircraft with it when I got it in the 80/90s or have I got it wrong
it’s not a part fcl licence

Arrow Flyer
1st Nov 2021, 08:53
The CAA published a Skywise notification regarding this topic, [link (http://skywise.caa.co.uk/licences-issued-in-accordance-with-the-ano-flying-uk-part-21-aeroplanes/?cat=15)]. There are still different privileges, but the difference isn't as pronounced as it was.

You can use your national licence to fly Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft. If this licence has an SEP class rating, you're restricted to the privileges of a LAPL (ie. No IMC/IR(R), 2000kg weight limit etc).

There are no such limits on your UK FCL PPL with SEP class rating. This licence is also valid for Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft.

Your instructor/examiner could have signed the national licence. The hours apply to both licences. Further details and exceptions regarding microlights are published here (https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/EASA-requirements/EASA-pilot-licence-recency-and-revalidation-requirements/).

Fl1ingfrog
1st Nov 2021, 09:49
If your UK PPL was issued with the SEP(Land) included in section XII, then of course it can be signed on re validation even if it hasn't been since its issue. The CAA will have made the first entry. It will be quite clear to any examiner that you have maintained the SEP(land) in validity by inspecting your UK/EASA licence and should use those dates. The decision to be made is whether the action is a 're-validation' or a 'renewal'. The SEP (Land) rating is one rating and doesn't change it's status and privileges from licence to licence.

Hopefully it is on the UK CAA list of jobs to reinstate the ICAO compliant UK PPL to its proper full status. There is no need to have two licenses any more.

basmith.fr
1st Nov 2021, 11:40
I missed the deadline for applying to France for an EASA FCL as my original EASA FCL became by default à UK CAA FCL PPL after Brexit.

i have to re-sit the Air Law and Human Performance exams along with another Skills Test in order to obtain a French FCL as I live in France.

I sat both exams during a recent trip to London at an EASA Registered School, however I am now waiting to see if the French authorities will accept the UK CAA issued Certificates.

Good question. I'm in a similar position having had a UK PPL (the brown one) for a couple of decades but use my SEP privilege on my EASA (now CAA) part FCL licence.
Last year only the Easa one was signed as in your case - I'm wondering what the latest licencing review will throw up with a view to amalgamating these UK licences?

md 600 driver
1st Nov 2021, 11:48
Does sep stand for single engine piston
as mine is a turbine rating for a helicopter

basmith.fr
1st Nov 2021, 12:44
Single Engine Piston

Maoraigh1
1st Nov 2021, 19:48
I found that link was to the most user-unfriendly data sources I've encountered. Not downloadable as a PDF, but "Ciick to next item".
It didn't clarify my situation for me.
In the past 12 months apart from my "Instructor Hour", I've no time in EASA aircraft, a few hours in an LAA Permit type, a few hours with an EASA Permit, and most of the hours with a CAA Letter authorizing flight with a now-invalid EASA Permit until its expiry date.

Arrow Flyer
1st Nov 2021, 20:59
Has any of the information provided in this topic, or via any of the links, been of use or are we still at square one with regard to your original question?

Maoraigh1
1st Nov 2021, 23:00
Post #5 answered it - IF the CAA concur when I submit the paperwork + letter this week.

Piper.Classique
2nd Nov 2021, 08:56
And now for another one...I have a French issued EASA licence and a UK lifetime PPL. I want to fly in France in a French registered aircraft, LAPL privileges will be fine. Can I do this with a UK medical, and which if either licence would enable this?

basmith.fr
2nd Nov 2021, 09:18
À UK Class 2 Medical allowed me to fly EASA registered aircraft here in France before 1st January 2021, I don’t know if that will apply today. Obtaining a Class 2 with a French AME is not a problem, even with an ECG it’s a lot cheaper in France. My lifetime UK FCL PPL SEP is not valid in France to fly EASA Registered aircraft even though the license is current and re-validated.

Arrow Flyer
2nd Nov 2021, 09:56
Piper.Classique - Your French issued EASA Licence is valid for flying French registered aircraft. You cannot use a UK medical: https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/127224.

You'll need to get an EASA Class 2. This can be issued by any AME holding an EASA authorisation. I hold an Irish licence and do my medicals with a Transport Malta AME in the UK.

jollyrog
2nd Nov 2021, 11:59
I presume you mean revalidated the SEP rating by experience.

The UK licence is issued in accordance with ICAO standards. The rest of the world sees it as an ICAO licence, it's only the CAA who have (had) funny ideas about its validity in comparison to Part.FCL licences, also issued in accordance with ICAO standards.

I kept my ratings signed on both my UK and Part.FCL licences at each revalidation. In relation to the SEP rating, as the CAA don't have a specific form for notification on the UK licence, I sent them a single SRG1119E each revalidation. Two licence signatures but a single form.

selfin
2nd Nov 2021, 12:27
Alternatively, as a temporary measure, a validation of the UK Sch 8 licence could be sought. DGAC form 88i-Formlic (https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/88iFormlic.pdf). Unless a validation is unavailable to an EASA licence holder?

Piper.Classique
2nd Nov 2021, 19:11
I think I'll try the validation to cover me for this year. Getting the medical in France may have issues. It's supposed to be the same but it isn't really. Think gold plate.

Arrow Flyer
2nd Nov 2021, 20:29
Then jump on an easyJet/BA/Ryanair flight to Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, East Midlands, Birmingham, etc and do a Class 2 medical with one of the EASA AMEs based on the airport.

Getting a medical in France needn't be an issue at all, the benefits of EASA are that you can use any EASA AME. They send the report to France and give you a certificate.

Forgive me for being a little direct, but getting a validation seems like an expensive and long winded way of achieving what you want when you already hold a French EASA licence. The CAA will charge £46 to verify your licence details, and the DGAC about €80 to issue the validation. At the rate the CAA are processing paperwork, it could be a month before they talk to DGAC at all.

Source: EASA Medical FAQ (https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/44557)

Good luck with whatever path suits your personal circumstances..

Klimax
21st Aug 2022, 15:47
Are there any updates on this?
Can an EASA license holder (including current SEP rating) legally fly a G-reg aircraft (SEP) today and beyond 31DEC2022? Cheers.

Fl1ingfrog
21st Aug 2022, 17:12
There is no such thing as an EASA licence. National authorities of countries who are members of the EU issue licences in accordance with EASA regulations, but they are national licences just the same. These licenses are also issued in accordance with ICAO and must be recognised throughout the EU and the other states that are encompassed by the EASA agreement.

So Klimax you must state what national authority issued your licence to have your question answered.

Klimax
21st Aug 2022, 19:55
There is no such thing as an EASA licence. National authorities of countries who are members of the EU issue licences in accordance with EASA regulations, but they are national licences just the same. These licenses are also issued in accordance with ICAO and must be recognised throughout the EU and the other states that are encompassed by the EASA agreement.

So Klimax you must state what national authority issued your licence to have your question answered.

Ok, I see, so let´s call it EU Flight Crew Licence, issued in accordance with Part-FCL.
Same question as before then, unless it makes a difference which EU country that issued the licence when it comes to the relevance of my question? Does that make a difference @Fl1ingfrog? Cheers mate.