PDA

View Full Version : COP20

V12
31st Oct 2021, 10:49
Does anyone else find the arrival of hundreds of private jets into GLA, EDI and PIK for COP26 a sickening hypocrisy?

I regret being in this sector. Knowing what we know now, the widespread growth in the use of larger jets for the extremes of the leisure life of multi-millionaires - who largely try to avoid paying their fair share of the tax burden, is really sad.

It's like having $300 Bn and feeling the need to burn large sums on inventing space tourism whilst hastening global warming.

Obviously a lot of aviation is good, but for it to be sustainable surely we have to optimise it's use whilst we bring on the new technology?

Maybe it's just me. Or should I join the ostriches and not think of our grandchildren's future inheritance?

pifpafpouf
31st Oct 2021, 11:23
You mean, either climate change is a hoax or they don’t have our best interests at mind but only theirs ? :oh:

BizJetJock
31st Oct 2021, 11:40
My better half spent many years as an environmental scientist. She long ago questioned me on the topic of how I earn a livng, but when she dioscovered how much fuel even a large corporate jet burns, and the low utilisation of the aircraft, she realised that it is a totally insigificant amount compared to taking hundreds of families to the Costa Brava for their summer holiday.
So no, I don't find use of private aircraft for more efficient use of the time of people who have the capability to make a difference a sickening hypocrisy. I do find it a sickening hypocrisy when they come out with all sorts of grand targets for the press conference that are then completely ignored in reality.

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
31st Oct 2021, 12:01
....Depends what is meant by 'Private'. Owned, leased or rented? V12 seems to know of 'hundreds' of private jets, but doesn't offer any checkable detail. Scottish owned PIK has offered free parking to COP26 aircraft under 10 tonnes AUW for 24 hours, but doesn't specify turbine or piston. Not an unlimited amount of ramp space at GLA or EDI. Other airports, military or civilian in Scotland a bit further away, but for senior visiting heads of Government, that could mean loss of face. Thus I'm guessing that their rides will drop them off, then scoot off somewhere else until needed again. If you saw the US presidential circus in motion at Rome yesterday or day before, it's hard to imagine Airforce 1 plus half a squadron of US freighters for all that procession of armoured vehicles parking around the side of the GLA terminal.

BFSGrad
31st Oct 2021, 13:49
Does anyone else find the arrival of hundreds of private jets into GLA, EDI and PIK for COP26 a sickening hypocrisy?
The employees that manufacture, maintain, and crew those "hundreds of private jets" each have a net worth well south of a billion dollars and begrudgingly pay their "fair share" of taxes.

V12
1st Nov 2021, 07:20
....Depends what is meant by 'Private'. Owned, leased or rented? V12 seems to know of 'hundreds' of private jets, but doesn't offer any checkable detail. Scottish owned PIK has offered free parking to COP26 aircraft under 10 tonnes AUW for 24 hours, but doesn't specify turbine or piston. Not an unlimited amount of ramp space at GLA or EDI. Other airports, military or civilian in Scotland a bit further away, but for senior visiting heads of Government, that could mean loss of face. Thus I'm guessing that their rides will drop them off, then scoot off somewhere else until needed again. If you saw the US presidential circus in motion at Rome yesterday or day before, it's hard to imagine Airforce 1 plus half a squadron of US freighters for all that procession of armoured vehicles parking around the side of the GLA terminal.

checkable detail: Scottish Daily Record quotes 400…

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/private-jets-flying-cop26-blast-25338840.amp?utm_campaign=fullarticle&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=inshorts

Preacher_Av
2nd Nov 2021, 11:35
Utter nonsense. divide the 400 by 5 and you got your actual number of private activity for COP.