PDA

View Full Version : Lysander Airshow -- Pilot's View

Dave Hadfield
30th Oct 2021, 14:52
I had the great good fortune to be able to fly our Lysander at the AeroGatineau show last month. Here is helmet-cam of the flight, with narration. -- Dave

https://youtu.be/bBCIoHOBriI

Big Pistons Forever
30th Oct 2021, 16:00
Great Video Dave !

ShyTorque
30th Oct 2021, 17:03
Great video, thanks. I really enjoyed that. The Lysander isn't the prettiest of aircraft by any means, but it really does have a grace all of its own. One of my favourite aeroplanes, even though most of my professional flying has been rotary wing.

charliegolf
30th Oct 2021, 17:08
I'd love to know about the honours won by crews in WW2, given its missions.

CG

Wetstart Dryrun
30th Oct 2021, 17:37
Brilliant!! A great video, excellent editing, grown up commentary.

Loved it to bits!

Thanks

MPN11
30th Oct 2021, 17:38
Simply GREAT ... many thanks for posting!

ShyTorque
30th Oct 2021, 18:22
CG

CG, I guess if we had been around in WW2 you and I might have been flying them! Having night flown light SEP aircraft to a grass airfield lit only by a very basic "flarepath" of portable lights, I can only imagine how tricky landing in a field in enemy territory would have been.

longer ron
30th Oct 2021, 18:47
Lovely video Dave - the Lysander sure is a fairly unique aeroplane !
I have managed to catch a couple of Lizzie Displays at Old Warden :)

air pig
30th Oct 2021, 20:50

CG
https://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Landed-Moonlight-Landings-1940-1944/dp/0947554750/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hugh+verity&qid=1635626873&sr=8-1

From the river company and well worth a read. As an aside, the well-known RAF pilot 'Percy' Pickard was an operational pilot with the special duties' squadron undertaking night missions into occupied France.

cavuman1
30th Oct 2021, 21:09
Superlative video, Sir! What an interesting craft is the Lysander. Not only are the automatic leading-edge slats and trailing-edge flaps far ahead of their time, the wing planform is quite unusual: almost as narrow of chord at the wing root as at the tip. I look forward to following more of your excellent work, Dave!

- Ed

GeeRam
30th Oct 2021, 22:54

CG

The already mentioned Percy Pickard, with 4 of the 161 Squadron pilots, from the left to right, Jim McCairns, Hugh Verity, Percy Pickard, Peter Vaughan-Fowler and Bunny Rymills.

While flying ops with 161 Sqn, McCairns was awarded 3 x DFC's, Verity 2 x DSO's and a DFC, Vaughan-Fowler 2 x DFC's & Rymills also 2 x DFC's....!!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1258x960/groupe_161_de_tangmere_1943_lysander_5594_e2ce86f3f1499013f3 100b7dd8e63a09bded30cb.jpg

Old-Duffer
31st Oct 2021, 06:07
Sad to think that McCairns was killed in a silly accident post war, Verity's book is well worth a read and perhaps Pickard went on too long.
Pickard's English sheep dog went with his widow to Rhodesia post war and is said to have died making the same crying noise as when his master was killed.

O-D

charliegolf
31st Oct 2021, 09:24
Thanks for that, I'll have a read...

While flying ops with 161 Sqn, McCairns was awarded 3 x DFC's, Verity 2 x DSO's and a DFC, Vaughan-Fowler 2 x DFC's & Rymills also 2 x DFC's....!!

I suspect all four felt they were, 'just doing my job'! Amazing.

CG

stevef
31st Oct 2021, 10:11
Excellent video!
I see that there's not much of a cockpit floor, in common with many aircraft of that era. Lots of opportunities for control jams by loose articles. :eek:

teeteringhead
31st Oct 2021, 10:27
When 161 was formed it was commanded by Edward "Mouse" Fielden, who before (and after) the War was Captain of the King's Flight. During his time at Tempsford - which he later commanded - he was awarded the DFC and also the CVO from George VI.

In 1952 he was advanced to KCVO and in 1968 to GCVO. Remember, the Royal Victorian Order is in the personal gift of the Sovereign, and NOT the government.

Oh, and he's got a road in Benson OMQs (OFQs?) named after him.

GeeRam
31st Oct 2021, 15:30
Sad to think that McCairns was killed in a silly accident post war

And he had been awarded a MM in 1942, for his successful escape from a POW camp and making a 'home run' after being shot down over France in July 1941.

ETOPS
31st Oct 2021, 17:56
Dave,

If you are reading this I've really enjoyed all your videos over the past few years - to the extent that I try to emulate your careful preparation and execution of every flight.
I'm a better pilot because of your calm, detailed flying.

I think your quote that "Brain power halves when you start a Merlin" should win an award....!!

DaveW
31st Oct 2021, 17:57
Get hold of a copy of We Landed By Moonlight (Hugh Verity) which will give you an idea. It's extraordinary.

Thanks very much for the video, Dave - magnificent. :D

Speedywheels
31st Oct 2021, 19:41
Really enjoyed seeing the in-cockpit video and your commentary, many thanks for posting.

Out Of Trim
1st Nov 2021, 16:19
That was great! I really like the Lysander for some reason. I remember building an Airfix model of it as a kid and always thought the wings were quite unusual. I really enjoyed the video and your flying narration… Thanks Dave 🙏👍👀

Haraka
1st Nov 2021, 17:56
Superb Video. My father did some stuff on Dwight Brook's Lizzie and Harald Penrose was a family friend whom I had the priviledge of flying with. Good to see the Slot /Flap automatic linkage explained!

langleybaston
1st Nov 2021, 22:11
I have just watched this video at the end of a sh1t day.
It is no longer a total sh1t day: beautiful beautiful display of a unique veteran aeroplane.
Thank you indeed.