PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong to Further Tighten Quarantine Requirements.

krismiler
26th Oct 2021, 07:26
Basically, following Beijing's zero COVID strategy.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/hong-kong-further-tighten-covid-19-travel-restrictions-2268917

carolknows
26th Oct 2021, 11:43
I mean I get it. But I don't.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202110/1236459.shtml

According to China's state media's narrative,
"The new logistics centers are aimed at boosting the intermediary trade in Hong Kong and strengthening Hong Kong' status as the international aviation hub of the GBA."

Also,

"Chan also said that the Airport Authority of Hong Kong (AA) is actively developing a multi-modal cargo transport service to enable seamless transfer of mainland exports through the HKIA to other parts of the world.

According to Chan, the AA is planning to set up a "Hong Kong International Airport Logistics Park" in Dongguan, where mainland exports can complete customs clearance, security checks and other procedures and be transported by sea to the cargo terminal in the restricted area of the HKIA for direct transshipment to the rest of the world. Dongguan is about 100 kilometers away from the Hong Kong airport.

Air cargo imports for the Chinese mainland can access the same channel for fast custom clearance."

That's what I don't get. Mainland would love to HKG as aviation hub to access goods in and out of China and the world. Why such insistence on covid zero unless it's the confidence in their current vaccines. Huh?

carolknows
26th Oct 2021, 11:47
One more in Sept from the state media,

"
According to plan released by China's civil aviation regulator in 2020, the country will build a world-class airport cluster in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao GBA by 2025. While consolidating the international aviation hub position of Hong Kong, Guangzhou and Shenzhen will also be built into international hubs. Service capacity will be upgraded at airports in Macao and Zhuhai.

Baiyun Airport will be open to over 110 international and regional destinations by 2025, Chen Xu, an official from the Guangzhou Municipal Development and Reform Commission said on Tuesday during a press briefing.

The airport will also be connected with high-speed rail and expressways, so as to achieve a seamless connection between air and rail passengers, making the airport accessible to all cities in the Pearl River Delta within 60 minutes."

1200firm
26th Oct 2021, 12:13
Status Quo will remain until AT LEAST 2023. Anyone who hopes otherwise is delusional.

Fly747
26th Oct 2021, 18:29
DB freighter pilot +ve?
https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/cathay-pacific-cargo-plane-crew-member-returning-from-u-s-tests-preliminarily-positive-for-covid-19/

Acepilothk99
26th Oct 2021, 19:30
Bye bye Cathay I guess the CCP pigs will make this airline sink deeper than the titanic soon

krismiler
27th Oct 2021, 00:16
It's outdated that Carrie refers to Hong Kong as "the gateway into China", this may have been true in the 1980s but now the mainland is well connected to the rest of the world with either direct flights or one stop connections via multiple hubs both within and outside the country.

3 weeks quarantine is an absolute killer for any visitor interested in coming, it's far longer than most people would stay in the first place. Cities such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai aren't places where people stay very long anyway. They rely on huge numbers of people turning over quickly.

Thailand's strategy of a test on arrival and one night in an approved hotel until the result comes through would be acceptable for the vast majority of people coming in, even those only staying for the weekend.

Sinovac has similar protection to other vaccines in preventing serious illness but is way behind in stopping people from getting infected.

A zero COVID strategy with a less effective vaccine isn't going to work while other countries have more effective vaccines and are preparing to live with the virus while they open upon.

ToCatLady
27th Oct 2021, 01:05
Australia to be put on 21 days soon too. Those returning from SLV better book 21 days just incase. No rush though, you'll be promised a roster but after forcing you back to HKG they'll surprise you with 31 G's

carolknows
27th Oct 2021, 01:37
Just curious, what is the LOGIC behind covid zero strategy??
When the whole world starts living with the virus like normal flu, and then what? They gonna suddenly open up one day and let the country go through multiple waves of covid when the rest of the world already has natural and vaccinated immunity? Like what is the logic? Can someone explain?

From a distance
27th Oct 2021, 02:04
As much a logically minded person desires to see some logic, there is no discernible logic behind any of the jumping at shadows based decision making.
The only logical conclusion is that HKG has been hit by an Alien stupid ray gun, with the intensity set to MAX.

Jetdream
27th Oct 2021, 02:19
ToCatLady

Is this your opinion or have you read this somewhere?

Fly747
27th Oct 2021, 04:02
Look at what Macau has for your answer to that. We are heading in that direction and they have 21 days for everywhere.

Dufo
31st Oct 2021, 01:04
Logic? Since when has there been logic under red regime, let alone Covid-induced paranoid screamers? We love waiting at assigned seating in HKG, taking a long walk thru the terminal to test area, following the hand directions of the staff, waiting for crew bus for almost an hour at limousine pier (as we cannot share a 50-seat bus with other colleagues for a 3min ride to SkyCity, due to vairrruuuusssss), having all freedom taken away by self-isolating in hotel rooms with no fresh air, no gym, crappy food and best of all - risking a 3-week quarantine in this communist wonderland.
​​​​Of course no one dares to question anything or anyone as in the end, we are to follow the great leaders and their ideas.
Cheers to BA crew which we have met few days ago - "Lagos used to be a :mad: to avoid, now it's HKG".

Fly747
9th Nov 2021, 12:16
Two crew positive from 2066 FRA arriving 6th Nov. One is living in the Harbour Pinnacle TST where there is a lockdown in progress. The other lives in Headland village DB. This is not good news.

Oasis
9th Nov 2021, 12:21
Everyone will get covid eventually, it is written in the stars.

It is like trying to stop a tsunami with you bare hands.

Hopefully CL will realise that before CPA goes under.

Jnr380
9th Nov 2021, 12:23
Fly747

Their family shipped off to jail, no judicial process, no avenue of appeal, nothing. This is life now in HK…..

controlledrest
9th Nov 2021, 21:44
I think it is good news. Sooner or later covid will be endemic everywhere. Once endemic, border controls no longer matter. The sooner we have community spread, the sooner policies will be forced to change. An outbreak will also motivate many of those stupid enough to not be vaccinated to get the shot.

Rie
9th Nov 2021, 22:01
Hopefully it does spread. This is the only way to kick this country into gear and have them sort something out finally. Even the leave home save app requirements should be linked to vaccines now.

HK is a disaster as far as mitigation strategies go.

hyg
10th Nov 2021, 03:51
Funny how someone still thinks the HK gov gets a say... the HK gov does not care about international flights or whatsoever, all they care about is opening the border with motherland.... and they will crucify the person who ruins it for them if they can.... Especially this happens like 1 or 2 days after the HK gov struck a deal with the Motherland about the conditions to open up, these guys are gonna be made an example.... so keep dream on that things will come good, the truth is the HK Gov would probably be willing to shut the entire cx operation down or make crew does 21 days if it meant the Chinese border can open

Rie
10th Nov 2021, 04:44
Something is stirring in the office... Not quite sure of what it is exactly but the rumours of changes happening are growing louder. The new management are being interviewed as we speak. Just head in there and you'll see someone trying their luck to be the next slippery pole climber.

If mandatory quarantine for crew picks up to the levels that China wants it to be then they won't be finding many willing candidates left. Even the sheer numbers applying to FZ were enough to ruffle a few feathers. If you are asking how they know... They have contacts who give them exactly who applied if they want it.

Fly747
10th Nov 2021, 05:05
Rie. FZ, Fly Dubai?

Rie
10th Nov 2021, 05:50
Yes, flydubai. Most expats with children have worked out they would rather afford education and food rather than stick around and let their sprog turn into a tankie.

Sqwak7700
10th Nov 2021, 09:00
I hate to point out the elephant standing on top of you, but all those crew who tested positive where vaccinated. I know, that inconvenient thing called facts.:}

If anything, these positives might deter those holding out from getting the vaccine.

Probably a lot more positives coming up, so hopefully it gets bad enough that they give up their moronic zero COVID strategy. A bit like leaving the house on a rainy day and expect to remain 100% dry.

herewego75
10th Nov 2021, 11:11
So closed loop for everyone? Guess the 747 wasn't the best idea!
Got the rating, get to fly the queen of the skies, then get to leave with no training bond :ok:

Everyone should be trying to get on the 747, a big cargo company in Europe are needing pilots shortly.

mngmt mole
10th Nov 2021, 14:24
I'm not certain, but I don't think they need you to "sign" anything. They just announce the changes now....no contract, just company policy :hmm:

Ecam321
10th Nov 2021, 14:38
Hong Kong is now effectively the Gucci version of North Korea.

gipilot
10th Nov 2021, 17:47
All the Euro(licensed) 747 jockeys got hired in the EU . 777 guys are now scrambling to convert their 777 ratings to 747’s. No money in freight.

Pickuptruck
10th Nov 2021, 21:43
When the 747 operation provides less than 20% of the company revenue on a good year, then just right now with the bleeding of cash by the pax fleet, there is no money in freight. Not enough to save the airline in it's present form anyway. COP about to drop off as freight rates drop. So basically 100+ aircraft and 1800+ crew will be idle until end of 2022. Over to you, company accountants.

Busbuoy
11th Nov 2021, 01:58
01 April 1993 is the day when those days went.

Sam Ting Wong
11th Nov 2021, 04:50
gipilot

There are no attractive 747 jobs in Europe, nor did all based guys got hired. The market in Europe is terrible, 20days on for maybe a third of the money compared to HK.

main_dog
11th Nov 2021, 06:14
That’s not quite right STW. Even on the worst EU contract I know of, a DEC working 20 days on would give a comparable income to POS18 CN1, except you live where you want, they fly you out and back so no stress, downroute you can do whatever local rules allow (remember actually stretching your legs and perhaps eating out of a plate and not a cardboard box?), and on your days off you’re not testing every two days. Your family members aren’t treated like leper contacts, nor are you running the constant risk of having your loved ones, dozens of your colleagues and perhaps your children's classmates end up in Penny’s Bay.

Don’t get me wrong, these contracts are pretty bad, but there are also better contracts out there. Between not having to pay rent in the world’s most expensive city and the sanity of day to day life, the very fact that we can even compare these :mad: contracts to our lot make you think long and hard what we’re doing here.

Rie
11th Nov 2021, 06:33
The worst contract right now looks to be HKE. Just saw the 2022 plan. It seems as if they won't have many pilots left after forcing them all onto leave without pay.

I wonder if this is a precursor to 21 day crew quarantine for everyone.

Sam Ting Wong
11th Nov 2021, 07:03
Main Dog, which airline in Europe offers comparable pay?

I did the math, ASL would result in 30% of what I earn now, plus the pleasure of 20 days on.

Aerologic ( 777F) same shambolic pay, albeit with slightly better roster. Expect to fly +100 hrs block(!). They still do layover in HK, I see them sitting in the mid terminal all the time. If their test is positive its Penny Bay for them as well.

Not trying to defend our employer, not all, but where are these offers you mentioned?

PS I own my place in HK, and even with school fees and higher groceries the shortfall in income is so massive, it really doesn't matter how much I save on a pint of milk.

Look, I am actually considering to just accept lower pay, HK is over for me, I just want to get out. But what I cannot accept is a roster with 20 days on, standby at a place I don't live, 3 men 16 hour days or low cost rosters from hell with 0500 am sign on and 5 sector days. Let's not paint the situation rosier at it is, there is nowhere to hide right now.

If you disagree: please name the airline you are talking of. Stop beating around the bush: where? Lets talk numbers!

gipilot
11th Nov 2021, 07:37
You are wrong and have no idea what you’re talking about. There are jobs and I repeat ALL 747 pilots(once that were interested and have easa licenses) got hired. You talk about attractive , that’s a extremely relative word in these times. I wrote jobs, flying jobs that can pay your bills, there are enough on the 747 in Europe at this time, just make sure you have the proper license. Let’s not even talk about what’s happening in the U.S. with 747 jobs, please educate yourself of what’s going on outside the great universe you think is Hong Kong.

main_dog
11th Nov 2021, 07:52
If you’re on CN4 and own your own place, and your kids are gone, then yes you will still be better off financially staying in HKG, assuming you can stand the insanity. If you’re CN1/2 (or worse FO1/2), renting and with kids in school, it’s a different ballgame. In these scenarios you’re looking at spending most of your monthly income for the world’s most expensive rents and tuition, let alone food (and fuggedabout savings).

Since you bring up Aerologic, from a mate of mine joining them I do believe that’s actually a pretty decent contract, with proper benefits (ie a proper pension, Lufthansa travel benefits etc) and certainly more than shambolic pay (although they do work them hard).

You mention rosters from hell: I don’t know about yours, but mine doesn’t come out until the 27th, contains little to nothing of what I asked for, and what little there is gets taken away on day of ops. This isn’t even necessarily our employer’s fault, they need to cater to continuously changing rules and CHP’s zero-covid “strategy”.

Finally, while some airlines do still layover in HKG and risk “prison”, it’s only an occasional risk, and their families and friends won’t be involved. They only see the midfield concourse now and again, and are paid an allowance for that additional hardship (while many of us are logging more “hard white chair” time than flying time).

For us it’s a continuous sword of Damocles: at any moment your phone could ring advising that you and your loved ones are about to be carted off to PB, because you happened to position with some unlucky soul last week or unwittingly shared a taxi home with them the other day.

Good jobs are really only available in the US right now, for the rest, pick your poison depending on personal circumstances.

Sam Ting Wong
11th Nov 2021, 08:02
You are mistaken regarding Aerologic, I checked the numbers.

Pay is roughly 7000 T Euro net for a skipper. German tax is brutal. If you get a LH seat, F/O starts at half of that. That is a fact.

Pension is negligible, they only pay minimum state contributions, if you don't pay into their system for 40+ years you get almost nothing back, and it only starts at age 67 anyway.

They fly more than 100 hrs block per month, 3 men from Europe to India to Hong Kong. In one go.

There is a regular requirement for standby at the base ( within one hour availability).

I also would warn against cherry picking. Yes, you pay more for groceries and school in Hong Kong. But on the other side childcare/ cleaning etc is extremely cheap, and you don't pay for car, gas and insurance. You also have virtually no commuting costs/hotels for standby etc, no tax on capital income, rental income or dividends. Real estate in Europe is not cheap either, and the quality of the state schools heavily depend on your place of residence (aka cheap or expensive area).

Aerologic is probably the worst paying 777 job worldwide. Depending on your CN stage, homeownership, number of kids etc you would end up with one third to maybe (!) half the cx salary.

Again, not trying to defend Cx, but those are the facts.

volare_737
11th Nov 2021, 08:28
Rie

Its 9 months unpaid "voluntary" ! Wonder how they look at you if you dont volunteer !

Flying Clog
11th Nov 2021, 15:47
STW, the fact that you don't know about the 747 jobs in Europe that are indeed interestingly financially, with an exciting future, and certainly better than POS18, says more about you than it does about the jobs themselves.

They are 'by invitation only', based on internal recommendation, and cherry picking Cathay pilots by the bushel load. So indeed, you have probably never heard of them. Good luck with that! Maybe you have ruffled a few feathers in your time.

Sam Ting Wong
11th Nov 2021, 16:23
VIP invitation-only secret jobs for a small circle of elite Cathay pilots, hahahahaha, brilliant !

Dingleberry Handpump
12th Nov 2021, 01:09
Hahaha another Clog classic.

€8k a month as a truck driver on these secret handshake gigs, so I assume the 747 freemasonry must be big leagues.

Oli777
12th Nov 2021, 02:48
I'm pretty sure I'm correct here, but you are never going to get some magic job on a big rig truck and get paid $10,000pm or thereabouts. Everything in life requires experience, and most of these lucrative truck jobs require at least 5 years of driving long haul, ok maybe a VBIED truck in Syria requires no experience but still. Do you think anyone would just let you loose on a 28 wheel big rig with no experience, or with your 2 hours driving lessons... good luck reversing that thing, oh and it has more buttons in the cockpit that a 1970's 767!

Anyway back to playing TV games and drinking overpriced coffee from a new CX barista (that requires no experience and people will think you're fancy when you mention things like "single origin" and "espresso macchiat" !)

controlledrest
12th Nov 2021, 06:13
Sam Ting Wong

Don't mock it. Before HR scum took over recruitment, one could go to Andrea and put a good word in. It's how many of us had our files pulled from the thousands and ended up in CX. I also know of a few cases where tossers have had their applications binned after a quiet word was had.

In an earlier life I would recruit pilots to an operation I was running based on the recommendation of those already working for me. Takes the risk out of the hire.

In recent times I have got in contact with some CX lads (ones I know as good blokes and good operators) and put them onto a couple of outfits recruiting where I have back channel contacts. They are in the process of interviewing now.

Networks do exist and they do work.

Piet Lood
12th Nov 2021, 07:58
Of course STW has to mock it.
It’s painful for him to be confronted with a reality which doesn’t jive with his own and a world where people would put recommendations in for other people.
He doesn’t need it, so he doesn’t need to know about it.

Good to hear though he has finally had enough of HKG (and presumably cx).
Just one question for him though: was it the bucket of money that has finally filled up enough or did the bucket of :mad: finally tip over?

Sam Ting Wong
12th Nov 2021, 09:03
Come on guys, it's funny. A secret well-paid 747 job by invitation only? That's hilarious!

( and it has nothing to do with a network, of course that helps)

Piet Lood
12th Nov 2021, 10:25
Was it the bucket of :mad: or the bucket of money that filled up first?

BBN RADAR
12th Nov 2021, 10:54
Are they mutually exclusive?

FlightoftheNavigator
12th Nov 2021, 11:47
Testing every day... Wonderful...

ascalehero
12th Nov 2021, 12:35
So at what point do we say enough is enough? now not only are we away for long periods of time when we are in HK we will be frowned upon for being apart of the community
I know the companies hands are tied but some compensation for these inhuman threats and conditions would be a start

SW1
12th Nov 2021, 18:00
https://www.aeroprofessional.com/job/1604-b747-400-captain/

Sam Ting Wong
12th Nov 2021, 22:27
That is either Longtail or CargoLogic, both contracts are terrible.

Think of these secretive job ads with "competitive package" as a tinder date without seeing a picture upfront. Enjoy!

controlledrest
12th Nov 2021, 23:34
FlightoftheNavigator

As a valued member of the CX team your transport costs will be covered and you will receive credit hours for the testing. As the testing is a requirement for flight duties, it will be covered by the FTLs.

You will also receive an extra day of annual leave for getting the booster shot like the office workers.

Jnr380
13th Nov 2021, 01:18
Sam Ting Wong

Wow, it seems you’re little life just revolves around Money, as you seem to be always mention it. I guess you must love money so much that you’re happy to be locked in a cell, as long the money is keeping you warm at night?

Has it occurred to you that each of the Freighter guys and maybe to a lesser extend pax pilots are fed up with all these restrictions? fed up with getting swabbed everyday? Sick of being treated like a leper in public? Being constantly oppressed by the government via the company? All for what? The fact that some one can lose their job if they attend a function during medical surveillance?

There are more reasons than money to leave this hell hole of a city! Unfortunately STW, you struggle to see that, you’re happy in your shoebox home in the worlds biggest open air prison!

carolknows
13th Nov 2021, 01:26
Ok let me get this straight. The purpose of the 3rd booster is to protect the pilots or protect the residents? Because the last time my sane brain and logic checked, vaccines do not prevent you from contracting the virus. So is this out of care and love to protect the pilots? ❤

I also wonder why not put in more resources to roll out vaccine passports and also entice the older folks to get their FIRST jab instead of going after 3rd jabs?

Sam Ting Wong
13th Nov 2021, 01:31
Jnr380

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Clog claimed there is a "secret well paying job by invitation only" for 747 pilots. Which is utter BS, as usual.

By the way, why are you still here?
Nothing to do with money? As we speak you are still here, you could leave today. Right now. But you don't, because of money..

Maybe time to be a bit more truthful to yourself..

PS If you care to know, for me it is about the roster, and not about the money actually. Once you progressed from Jnr to Snr you will understand.

FlightoftheNavigator
13th Nov 2021, 01:34
controlledrest

Hah, more like,
"Our glorious leader augustus has prepared a video to thank you for your efforts. To assist you in coping with the stress of daily testing, crew are required to complete a learners world module, covering the main points of this video"

freightdoggiedog
13th Nov 2021, 01:57
carolknows

Carol, you should know better than to try and introduce logic and rationality into the argument! :}

This is the magical fishbowl of HKG, which will heroically (and patriotically) keep the virus out despite everywhere else on earth failing to do so, where in response to a person catching Delta in her quarantine hotel this summer we increased time in quarantine, where a medical expert can state on the SCMP that a week of quarantine is enough for aircrew since Delta has an incubation period of four or five days, but travellers need to quarantine for up to three weeks, a place where it makes perfect sense to send 120+ children to PB because they are close contacts of close contacts.

Jnr380
13th Nov 2021, 02:23
Sam Ting Wong

I’m not the one constantly mentioning money, I’m not here for the money anymore and definitely not for the living standards.

Why am I still here? same reason as the 1000 others, playing it out till we get another job regardless of the pay, my freedoms are worth more money. Again, good luck in this hellhole, I’m glad you’re enjoying it! You were never destined for better things.

and what roster you referring to? Oh you mean that “guideline” of what to expect but never work it and get on constant reserve and/or get called to for a crew-up sim which you technically have to pay for? Yeah best damn roster in the world

Sam Ting Wong
13th Nov 2021, 02:28
Me enjoying it in HK ? Are you kidding me? I am saying there are no good jobs out there. Same what you just said. And that clog is full of it. God, this is like pulling teeth.

And no, you will not choose a job "regardless of the pay". This is so childish, can't believe I am even talking to you. What a waste of time. Over and out.

Veruka Salt
13th Nov 2021, 03:32
For anyone with an E3 visa or US Residency there are OUTSTANDING job opportunities.

Piet Lood
13th Nov 2021, 04:05
NO, NO, NO, Frank!
STW says there are NO good jobs out there and that’s the end of it.
God, it’s like pulling teeth.
Why can’t you all see what STW is seeing?
HKG and cx might be hell, but it’s the best hell out there!

Sam Ting Wong
13th Nov 2021, 04:54
I agree with all you said, Frank. Everybody needs to make up his mind, everybody is in a different situation. I am cut off from my family, to me the worst right now and a dealbraker.

What I don't get is why some in here argue about the quality of the jobs available. Europe, not in the US. The jobs I know of ( so minus the secret one from clog and the high pay one piet got) are offering low pay and require long time away/high hours. The only reason to accept those is because of the things you mentioned. Fair enough! There is no contradiction! I am talking only about the job itself, the money you get for it and the time on the road. Not about the man accepting the job, not the circumstances, not whatever else counts for you or anybody else. Which is of course the only rational way for me to discuss these jobs, since I can't know the individual situation nor is it my business. I can only state my personal financial viewpoint, and for me HK is not very expensive. I did not say this is the case for all of us, never.

Some in here have difficulties to understand or want to misunderstand me, so thank you for a normal question and tone. Quite rare unfortunately.

Piet Lood
13th Nov 2021, 05:09
Sam Ting Wong

Because your tone is sooooo much more mature…
If you can’t see the contradictions in your own statements, we can’t help you bud.

Sam Ting Wong
13th Nov 2021, 05:10
what contradiction? where? show me! and who is we?

UnaMas
13th Nov 2021, 05:29
For the love of God stop posting or go somewhere else to have your verbal diarrhoea

S22
13th Nov 2021, 07:02
And what is there to debate? If you can afford to leave and don’t like it then go. If your can afford to stay and like it then stay.

Piet Lood
13th Nov 2021, 07:09
Sorry to drag the idiot out longer than bearable, but I have to correct him on yet another false ASSumption:
I never said my job was a high or higher paid one (even though it is if you compare it to pos18).
What I said was: I am making more money now than when I was in cx.
You continue to draw many false conclusions based on your very narrow, limited and money oriented frame of reference.

herewego75
13th Nov 2021, 07:31
While all you sad people are arguing over who is the biggest baddest BABY in town - it's pathetic!

A new press release has made its way onto a certain GOV website that is going to make our lives terrible. Now I wish I did not make the move over...but I'm leaving soon :ok:

Time to take some time off work :yuk:

never ready
13th Nov 2021, 08:42
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202111/13/P2021111300334.htm

hyg
13th Nov 2021, 11:39
another freighter guy from the same outport got tested positive according to local news..... wonder what the Gov is going to do next

AtoBsafely
13th Nov 2021, 11:51
Lock up all the pilots…

they are obviously the problem.

Oasis
13th Nov 2021, 12:12
So for 14 days, every day a swab, and stay home for the duration, only to get out during submitting a test and going to the airport for another flight, after which you then stay in a hotel, and can’t get out.

I wonder when the suicide rate will eclipse the resignation rate..

chards
13th Nov 2021, 13:15
or we could cut out a few steps there Frank:

1. Cx pilots say screw you and walk off the course
2. massive ad campaign in foreign markets highlighting human rights abuses against pilots in HK
3. Foreign govts ban their carriers flying to hk
4. the whole :mad: show falls apart and we all bail

oriental flyer
13th Nov 2021, 14:40
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3155982/cathay-pacific-cargo-pilot-tests-preliminary

CX freighter pilot tests positive for Corona virus (https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3155982/cathay-pacific-cargo-pilot-tests-preliminary)

Oasis
13th Nov 2021, 17:38
Boy, if only we had bases in different countries so that their crew could spend minimum time in Hong Kong in isolation in a crew hotel of some sort, we could even call it "the Headland".

It would protect the Hong Kong community from Covid and increase morale of the aircrew in one fell swoop.

Hey, we wouldn't even have to pay them housing allowance, 13th month or education allowance.

krismiler
13th Nov 2021, 23:46
The Hong Kong authorities may be thinking of the COVID outbreak in Taiwan back in May which was traced to China Airlines pilots.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taiwan-quarantine-all-pilots-largest-airline-amid-covid-19-outbreak-2021-05-10/

Rie
13th Nov 2021, 23:58
Just go get the hotel CCTV footage from all the positive cases. Fine then, throw them out and strip them of PR... That's how it was in Taiwan with those cases.

They could go further and look at all the hotel escapees when at outports. But that would leave near zero people left in the company. Might have to crew it with the UO guys getting forced out.

tiger321
14th Nov 2021, 00:36
Rie

Speak for yourself! Most guys I know, myself included, don’t leave the room, never mind the hotel. It is horrible and not sustainable, but if you need the job, you would be silly not to comply.

Rie
14th Nov 2021, 00:51
Many are not complying. This is the issue.

hyg
14th Nov 2021, 01:04
it's not the first time and it won't be the last time a selected few ruining things for everyone....rmb the days ppl can self certify sick leave?

herewego75
14th Nov 2021, 01:41
Well if the pilots/CC are sneaking out then you get what you deserve.
Honestly if you are aware of anyone sneaking out and you have not spoken up then you just as bad as them.
I know it's been difficult for the crew. I am entering this world of quarantine soon, but if the pilots are not dealing with all this then call in sick! Don't spoil it for the others you selfish people.

You have a choice... Go to the doctor!

Dingleberry Handpump
14th Nov 2021, 02:24
Wow, hold your horses for a moment, folks.

Unless non-compliance is limited to FRA, then perhaps we should give these guys the benefit of professional courtesy and assume they were infected through no wrongdoing.

From what I’ve witnessed, I have absolutely no reason to believe that compliance hasn’t been absolute.

The one certainty is that this will happen again, and again, and again.

Cury Lamb
14th Nov 2021, 02:35
Daily testing for 14 days. The more you test, the more positive cases you’re gonna discover. Tip of the iceberg, and CX is the titanic.

Bruce Ismay: “But this ship can’t sink!”
Thomas Andrews: “She’s made of iron, sir! I assure you, she can. And she will. It is a mathematical certainty.”

Rie
14th Nov 2021, 02:42
Dingleberry Handpump

The current answer is as long as you don't get caught we don't care what you do when not in Hong Kong. Been through this before. They know.

Dingleberry Handpump
14th Nov 2021, 03:21
Nonsense..

But go ahead and castigate the crew without facts.

Jnr380
14th Nov 2021, 08:16
herewego75

Report CC or Flight crew for not complying? What a sad little :mad: you are! Who hired you to report for the Hong Kong government?

It doesn’t matter what crew do, it none of your business. If they get caught it’s their problem not yours! But you say “well it effects everyone”. No it doesn’t, we’ve been complying for the last 20 months and where has that gotten us? More strict conditions! So forgive me if I decide to get some fresh air every now and then.
Only a sad sap would report other crew….. and you’re one of them

Bueno Hombre
14th Nov 2021, 09:43
Failed overpriced legacy airlines need to leave the business.

Cury Lamb
14th Nov 2021, 09:59
Been to Frankfurt lately? Scheiße :rolleyes:

Can’t wait to see the 200 selfies inside the PB container of a certain dutch Instaholic.
“Come fly quarantine with me”

SCMP 14 November 2021

Coronavirus Hong Kong:
Cathay aircrew who passed through Frankfurt will have to spend - 21 days in government quarantine, memo says; 1 new case confirmed

Health officials have ordered all Cathay Pacific aircrew who passed through Frankfurt this month to be quarantined for up to 21 days after three pilots who recently visited the German city tested positive for the coronavirus following their return to Hong Kong, the Post has learned.

ascalehero
14th Nov 2021, 11:29
herewego75

snitches get stitches

Piet Lood
14th Nov 2021, 11:32
Or a management position…

jetjockey696
14th Nov 2021, 12:52
CX will probably ask the hotels to issue a one time entry key card or what the Chinese and Russian hotels do, put a security guard at the end of the hallway. An adult babysitter of sorts.. :}

viking avenger
14th Nov 2021, 13:27
The virus does what the virus does and HK CHP does what Beijing tells them to do.

Agent Blake
14th Nov 2021, 13:32
It would be really nice to see the airlines stick together and say "sorry we cannot comply with these ludicrous demands, we will stop flying until a more reasonable plan has been formulated by the government".

The next public demonstration in Hong Kong needs to be the demand to open up.

carolknows
14th Nov 2021, 22:36
Maybe have a preview of the govt facility through our Instagram ambassador...

Rie
15th Nov 2021, 00:43
The star is going to use the platform to show what's going on... This will get good.

At least they took their uniform to show how well it's going.

Will Doughbros be sponsoring them?

Bekol delay
15th Nov 2021, 04:35
ANO HK CAP448C Part IV Section 20 para (8)(a)

A person shall not be entitled to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in Hong Kong if he knows or reasonably suspects that his physical or mental condition renders him temporarily or permanently unfit to perform such functions or to act in such capacity.

As we are reminded every PC session, "Your License, your responsibility"

#Groundthefleet

Coronavirus
15th Nov 2021, 05:22
World renowned Instagram influencer is locked up in PB. Still requires permission from company to post personal thoughts.

cxflog
15th Nov 2021, 05:57
Company is probably worried it might make them look bad when their pilots are locked in a prison for 21 days, colour me surprised

carolknows
15th Nov 2021, 06:38
Now another Instagram mega pioneer is advocating against this nonsense too! Please spread awareness loud and far!!

So the govt wants people to be vaccinated. But what's the difference between vaccinated and non vaccinated here??!

Rie
15th Nov 2021, 07:32
Pedalz, there is a Canadian triple pilot who can help with mental health problems. They take you off to a seminar and bring out all the bad. Must be wonderful for the mental health...

On second thoughts maybe they shouldn't be flying either.

KABOY
15th Nov 2021, 07:35
Your doctor is only a phone call away...

...and your career is only an email away.

You guys call the DFO 'jellyfish', but he is the one reaping rewards whilst the rest of you hold the bowl out. There isn't a backbone anywhere within the pilot group, stop waisting bandwidth.

ZootBoot
15th Nov 2021, 07:40
Not your career, only the job with this company.

KABOY
15th Nov 2021, 08:22
Take the initiative and walk, don't use sick leave.

That's a piss poor security blanket to retain employment and cling onto your job, hoping a career is around the corner.
Reality check.....there isn't.

ZootBoot
15th Nov 2021, 08:33
Sick leave doesn't protect my job, it protects me right now. I don't think a career exists here anymore and even if it did, I just don't want to stay here any longer.

ToCatLady
15th Nov 2021, 09:08
I would fully support these insta pilots especially Eva who is in PB. this actually might get the attention from around the world of what is really going on and happening to air crew. CX are trying to brush it all under the carpet to protect their share price but the hundreds of thousands who follow these guys will no doubt be sharing this across platforms.

The sooner the rest of the world see's what is going on, the better the outcome is for all of us. This is a time when she can put her 200k plus following to some real valuable use. fingers crossed she keeps exposing the truth of PB.

You might not like her or him, But keep an eye on what the power of social media CAN do.

KABOY
15th Nov 2021, 09:21
The food is already good.

She posts anything anti government and she can kiss her life gone....she ain't that stupid, I think.
I think she will even start to drink the CHP Koolaid saying it was necessary to keep HK safe.

After all, its their $30B keeping the airline alive.

Coronavirus
15th Nov 2021, 09:24
ToCatLady

So far, just a talk with full makeup on, about what happened. She will not go against the company. They probably gifted her a red and blue coffee cup (#stollen) in order for her not cry on camera.

hyg
15th Nov 2021, 10:36
ToCatLady

the World sees what the same dictatorship Gov did to the uyghurs, what did they do? All talk No action... they're going to be like 'this is not acceptable!!!!', then what is the HK gov going to say, like they always do 'foreign countries should not meddle with our internal policies'....

Cury Lamb
15th Nov 2021, 10:53
Quote from a mate at an American university:

”If this girl in my class says ‘like’ one more time, I’m gonna scream!”

jetjockey696
15th Nov 2021, 14:02
It wouldnt surprise me very shortly CX will ask the stopover hotels to issue single-entry keycards to the crew.. to prevent walkabouts....and beefy security guards.. who doesn't understand English, with one job only, to keep you from escaping..oops walkabout town... posted at the end of corridors for non-compliant crew members who decide to go ninja and sneak out.... but all this is for the good of opening up the border..... be a patriot. :ok:

VR-HFX
16th Nov 2021, 10:05
The common denominator is Frankfurt. Any sentient being would be suggesting that the hotel is the problem, not the crew who have tested positive. It has been shown time and again in places like Australia and NZ where hotels have been used for quarantine that they are unsuited to providing a covid free environment to "inmates". Simple questions have not been answered. Has the hotel had its ventilation upgraded? Do hotel staff wear PPE when delivering food to rooms? Are rooms, hallways and shared spaces properly disinfected? Are all hotel staff fully vaccinated? Are crew transport drivers fully vaccinated? This is an aerosol transmitted virus that doesn't pay heed to keycards, single entry or otherwise. The Delta strain has shown that the virus cannot be eliminated and the only solution is extremely high vaccination rates and learning to live with it. The current policy being adopted by the HKGov and China as a whole is counterintuitive and doomed to fail...both in protecting people and allowing businesses to operate. The quality of crew hotels has deteriorated consistently over the past decade, to the extent that the company is now , in this COVID world, putting crews at risk of catching COVID and/or suffering a complete mental breakdown.

3Greens
16th Nov 2021, 20:37
Europe, Germany and most of the world are not advocating a zero COVID strategy now, so I suggest that the above will not happen nor will it even be a possibility. If Cathay are concerned about Frankfurt hotels then they’ll just have to stop slipping there.

BewareOfTheSharklets
17th Nov 2021, 01:04
Quarintine Rules are for the little people:

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon was allowed to bypass Hong Kong’s draconian COVID-related quarantine rules for a 32-hour visit to the city.The Wall Street Journal reported Dimon was the first-known Wall Street corporate leader to visit Hong Kong since the pandemic began, and his arrival came days after Hong Kong’s government removed quarantine exemptions for foreign dignitaries.

Under Hong Kong’s rules, most visitors need to be quarantined for up to three weeks at their own expense in government-owned hotels before they can move about the city. There are exceptions to the rule, though in Dimon’s case it appears he never spent a minute in quarantine.

https://www.benzinga.com/news/21/11/24123440/why-did-hong-kong-exempt-jamie-dimon-from-its-restrictive-covid-quarantine-rules
https://www.wsj.com/articles/it-is-a-very-large-bankhong-kong-defends-letting-jamie-dimon-skip-quarantine-11637065381?mod=hp_listb_pos3

VR-HFX

In the case of NZ, hotels who's ventilation system wasn't up to standard were either dropped by the MIQ program or closed for a few weeks whilst it was upgraded.

carolknows
17th Nov 2021, 01:25
In other news,

"Faster vaccination of the elderly and booster doses in focus as country seeks way out of strict pandemic controls... ....Hence, China is seeking to boost its vaccination drive with the hopes of building herd immunity as part of conditions to relax (https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3155399/zero-chance-chinas-zero-covid-aim-now-virus-has-adapted-sars?module=inline&pgtype=article) its tough zero-Covid control measures."

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3156233/china-allow-vaccine-mixing-covid-19-booster-shots

"China has approved trials for the use of a domestically developed mRNA Covid-19 vaccine (https://www.scmp.com/topics/chinese-coronavirus-vaccines?module=inline&pgtype=article) as a booster shot — a development that could widen the options for China’s vaccination campaign... ...China has approved trials for the use of a domestically developed mRNA Covid-19 vaccine (https://www.scmp.com/topics/chinese-coronavirus-vaccines?module=inline&pgtype=article) as a booster shot — a development that could widen the options for China’s vaccination campaign."

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3155739/china-approves-trials-using-mrna-vaccine-booster-shot

I am sure big brother wants a way out of this nonsense approach too.

CXDOG
17th Nov 2021, 02:59
VR-HFX

Before you torch the Mainz hotel on suspicion, can I point out that FRA is virtually the only freighter port where we arrive and depart through the busy, crowded, thronging main passenger terminals for CIQ and security.

Oh it must be the hotel room where we must isolate while watching the good folk of Germany strolling along the riverside. It can’t be the airport where those people line up alongside us in the hundreds…

VR-HFX
17th Nov 2021, 04:38
CXDOG

Point taken. I wasn't torching the Hyatt per se, but rather pointing out the stupidity of the quarantine situation in HKG.

Given that FRA was singled out for special treatment by the HK Quarantine system one must logically deduce that they believe the hotel to be the problem. They are locking up crew at PB for 21 days even though they test negative on return to HK.

The reality is that the HK Govt and PRC elimination strategy is absolute madness. Taken to its logical conclusion it must mean that anyone arriving in HK goes to PB for 21 days, unless, of course, you happen to be the CEO of a major Wall Street firm.

Moppelchen
17th Nov 2021, 06:46
Where will the Crews be staying in the near future ? Since the Hyatt in Mainz is an excellent Hotel, i suggest a Holiday Inn Express near the airport will be the coice. Walking distance, of course. So no one has to breath in contaminated cab driver air. Mad world...

VR-HFX
17th Nov 2021, 09:23
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/So-long-Hong-Kong-Asia-s-business-hub-loses-its-luster?utm_campaign=IC_asia_daily_free&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NA_newsletter&utm_content=article_link

Dufo
17th Nov 2021, 13:39
Sheraton airport or Steigenberger airport hotels are both ok for short layovers.

Flex88
17th Nov 2021, 16:33
Keep watching the "real" news and FedEx will just be the first in a tsunami of corporations, head offices, banks & retail outlets to RUN from the new ground zero of totalitarian manipulated communism that is Hong Kong...
It used to be the "gateway" to China; it's now the flush lever on the toilet !!!

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3156315/coronavirus-fedex-shuts-down-hong-kong-pilot-base-citing

anxiao
17th Nov 2021, 20:07
Dofo, I have to disagree with you there. If you think that the Steigenberger is suitable for a crew layover, your acceptable standards have fallen to a low ebb. I know some crew from certain American airlines that put cabin crew there, and they hated every minute. It was way below standard ten years ago.

Somewhere online there is a copy of the LH combined cabin and flight crew unions requirements for a layover hotel. They are not excessive, they are simply decent and designed to treat staff as a valued part of the airline. The rest of the airline, sales and marketing on conferences and often including board level used to follow these requirements. It is not rocket science, and is often not based on cost to the company.

As a manager at my previous airline stated, around 20 years ago, "Would you stay with your wife in this hotel?" When a union voice across the table said that he wouldn't stay there with his ex wife, that particular hotel was taken off our list.

gipilot
18th Nov 2021, 08:13
“They are not excessive, they are simply decent and designed to treat staff as a valued part of the airline.”

I suggest you have a long think about that line cause as a pilot at Cx you’re absolutely no valued part of this organisation.

BraceBrace
18th Nov 2021, 09:35
anxiao

Then what exactly are these standards? Because in all these years in aviation I have heard many different answers, spoken and unspoken, from the spoken just "good sleep" to the unspoken "tequila on the beach".

I have stayed at the Sheraton and the Steigenberger and was quite happy, perhaps a little bored at most. No I would not take my wife (I have no ex wife) to the hotel, as our holiday standards are different from work standards.

Rie
18th Nov 2021, 09:43
tiger321

Define serious breach please.

Fly747
20th Nov 2021, 07:07
Some good news. 111 aircrew released from quarantine after it was established that the three crew with Covid had left the FRA hotel.

3Greens
20th Nov 2021, 22:36
yeah great news. They sacked the 3 and are looking into all crew nightstops in the last 6 months to see if there’s been any transgressions. Best hope you don’t bank with HSBC and paid for that beer outside the hotel on your card…

krismiler
20th Nov 2021, 23:20
Singapore aircrew are required to wear an electronic wrist tag during layovers, similar to the ankle bracelet worn by people on bail. It's called the "Crew Safe" system. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hong Kong authorities introduce something similar. If you leave your room for 5 minutes to fill up the ice bucket it will flag up.

A contract with an airline for crew accommodation is a valuable source of income to a hotel, particularly at the moment, so a request for access to CCTV footage of the hallways around the rooms where crew have stayed would likely be granted. European data protection laws would come into this but probably wouldn't help much if matters were decided in Hong Kong.

Oli777
21st Nov 2021, 03:19
I really wouldn't be worried about "the last 6 months" in fact I wouldn't be worried about a few weeks ago. We all know CCTV footage is on a loop and erased depending on the size of the recording system, probably every few days. And credit cards? I'm pretty sure a company or anyone is not allowed to just access your finances to sniff around. The best they can do is chat to staff and ask if they know anyone whos broken the law. The 3 that were fired were to set an example and instill fear in the rest of us..

1200firm
21st Nov 2021, 03:36
What German Laws did they break?

CXDOG
21st Nov 2021, 04:57
Picture this. You’re in a hotel in a non-locked down country and it’s 3am local time but you’re HUNGRY. Room service - Not available. Food delivery - not available. 24 hour convenience store a 5 minute walk away…

Not saying that was the situation faced by the three pilots on this occasion but there are valid reasons to leave your room. Crew Safe tag and all

Dufo
21st Nov 2021, 07:18
Who cares what YOU need? Fresh air? Forget it. Freedom? Forget it. Food? get serious, you have three options - baked beans vomit with hash browns, chinese bat congee and something undescribable. Enjoy it and don't question authorities.

oriental flyer
21st Nov 2021, 10:28
Why doesn’t the company run crew in a closed loop for a two or three months at a time , purely on a voluntary basis of course . In return you get to add the same length of time to your annual vacation

Rie
21st Nov 2021, 10:46
No one is daft enough to agree to that long locked away. Flying once a week and sitting in the Headland isn't an enjoyable experience. Imagine extending that out.

The best way to crew it right now to keep everyone happy is reverse basing. They already have a massive surplus of willing volunteers to live in the USA and operate freely back to HK.

AQIS Boigu
21st Nov 2021, 11:11
CXDOG

The scenario you just outlined has a clear cut solution in the relevant FON.

Please don’t overcomplicate.

VR-HFX
21st Nov 2021, 11:20
CX has become the Mary Celeste of aviation. Reverse basing will not work because the company has already blotted its copy book with every jurisdiction it operated bases. The crews are all ready for a straight jacket and in need of anti-depressants. Two or three month closed loops would have to assume massive numbers of family breakdowns. A strong case for a claim to the UN for Human Rights abuses. Move the freighter operation to Subic for 6 months is the most sensible option.

Fly747
21st Nov 2021, 13:19
VR-HFX. Subic, now we’re talking! But how many family breakdowns will that lead to?

CXDOG
21st Nov 2021, 16:21
AQIS Boigu

Yup. I’ve been working under various versions of Layover FON for 20 months now. I’m pretty familiar with it.

Item 7. If permitted by local public health regulations and policies, the following essential activities are allowed to ensure that basic food and medical needs are met:
If room service and food delivery service are not available, collecting take-away food for consumption in your hotel room.

So in my scenario it is specifically permitted to leave your room. Not sure which part you are reading.

Cury Lamb
22nd Nov 2021, 11:55
Rumours have it that this years 13th month will be announced this coming Friday, and that a special ex gratia payment will also be made to all eligible staff: half basic salary or HKD 8000, whichever is lower.

Pilots however, are excluded, as next years pay increase will take place with the January salary, as follows: a surprise 18% for captains, 28% for FO’s and up to 30% for all SO’s :ok:

Handsanitser
22nd Nov 2021, 13:12
Yes… also from reliable source from the top echelon that CX will start using a new power plant for our A50 fleet in 2022.

Pink unicorns

White Knight
22nd Nov 2021, 21:24
oriental flyer

Really? Why should pilots and crew have to go through such nonsensical :mad: 20 months after this ‘pandemic’ started? Get a grip!

My sincere condolences to the CX & KA pilots who have to suffer HK’s cr@ppy pandemic response!

Cury Lamb
22nd Nov 2021, 22:00
And just when you thought that things couldn’t possibly get any worse:

SCMP - Coronavirus: tighten airport measures, Beijing delegation urges Hong Kong in inspection visit over border re-opening:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3156917/coronavirus-hong-kongs-contact-tracing-efforts

“The team warned that the current policy of exempting aircrew members from quarantine “might need further review” after three former Cathay Pacific pilots arriving from Germany were confirmed as infected, according to the source.”

Fly747
22nd Nov 2021, 23:31
And the DB Jovial court case appears to have gone to Canada before the US and stayed at the Regal between trips. Exec jet pilot?
https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/patient-infected-with-covid-19-at-regal-airport-hotel-wears-respirator-mask-causing-mutant-virus-to-spread-to-other-patient/
This is going to get worse.

Jnr380
23rd Nov 2021, 00:14
Tracking bracelets for everyone!

Cury Lamb
23rd Nov 2021, 00:54
Ankle Tazer activated remotely, delivering 50k Volts more likely :}

stevieboy330
26th Nov 2021, 00:05
Have a happy Christmas CX
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/cathay-pacific-cancels-hundreds-of-passenger-flights-because-crew-refuse-to-quarantine/ar-AAR7vy3

SaulGoodman
26th Nov 2021, 02:11
as the flights will be preighters, can one assume the cabin crew has bigger cojones then the pilots?

Bekol delay
26th Nov 2021, 02:31
No, they don't have enough flight crew in the closed-loop to operate these services. They've been trying to get more volunteers for months, by offering their 'heartfelt thanks' for all we do and are surprised that no one is willing anymore.

The 'short term' solution is now rapidly approaching its 1 year anniversary...

Mill Worker
26th Nov 2021, 03:01
mmm. imagine if they had crew based outside HK (and the US)...

Jnr380
26th Nov 2021, 04:02
The biggest problem CX faced was keeping these crews current and rated, no way the HK government will allow these “uncleansed” pilots to fly with local crew or even attend sim sessions.

CX should have “advised” the CHP that they will create segregation in the training building, one for based crew, one for local crew use only.

I spoke to my bank last week, they regret to inform me that I can’t pay my loan back with compliments.

Jamesd03
27th Nov 2021, 22:26
Cury Lamb

Gotta love a good troll 🤣

Starbear
28th Nov 2021, 04:52
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/3157626/coronavirus-british-airways-temporarily-suspend?utm_medium=email&utm_source=cm&utm_campaign=enlz-today_hk&utm_content=20211128&tpcc=enlz-today_hk&UUID=3844debc-984f-4729-bb1d-07476304a235&next_article_id=3157589&article_id_list=3157626,3157589,3157621,3157609,3157562,3157 631,3157629,3157625&tc=9&CMCampaignID=38ea23aa851c1674095fcec5bbaadda3i

clown Carrie will soon succeed in her total isolation plan. Whether she likes it or not.

s6b
29th Nov 2021, 23:29
Minimum 7 days in Penny's Bay on return now plus DQH afterwards...2) Local based crew who are entering local community before the next duty flight

For crew who have stayed in high risk places in Group A during the 21 days prior to arrival in Hong Kong

a. ALL those who have stayed in areas in the “List of Specified Places For Enhanced Quarantine & Surveillance Measures on Omicron Variant” published on the Government’s COVID-19 thematic website must be subject to self-isolation at the Penny’s Bay Quarantine Centre for 7 days upon arrival, followed by self-isolation at a designated quarantine hotel room for the remaining period as stipulated in clauses 12(b) or (c).

In other words, for fully-vaccinated local-based air crew with a travel history to the places concerned and seek to enter the local community upon arrival in Hong Kong, they will be subject to 7-day self-isolation at the Penny’s Bay Quarantine Centre, followed by 7-day self-isolation at a designated quarantine hotel.

Farman Biplane
30th Nov 2021, 01:09
Implosion not far off then….

JMock
30th Nov 2021, 03:42
yep
the high risk places requiring 7 days PB then quarantine are the Southern African countries
So far

controlledrest
30th Nov 2021, 08:22
We urgently need to base crew out of HKG, both for CX to operate and for the crews's welfare. Bases would have to be at ULH ports and regoinal staging ports, so no crew would have to leave the aircraft in HKG and risk been subject to HKG Govn madness.

ascalehero
30th Nov 2021, 10:45
Cury Lamb

seems you were almost right, at-least about the first part and a week later

Jnr380
30th Nov 2021, 10:49
controlledrest

The GMA was smug as hell about closing bases and how instrumental she was in the whole process. Now by her hand with the support of senior management, the company had to cut their scheduling to able to comply with the strict HK quarantine! She is the main purpose that the company has lost millions in revenue. 👏🏽

kenfoggo
30th Nov 2021, 13:56
The Swire way is that successes are celebrated in London but failures are buried in Hong Kong. The GMA will not be held accountable for her failures but moved sideways to managing the restroom facilities at a Coke bottling plant. Until removed from her position she will be the most enthusiastic volunteer when called upon to screw the aircrew.

dabz
2nd Dec 2021, 02:54
Get ready for the next list of demands, thank you for your sacrifice to those lucky selected pilots.

Beatings shall continue until moral improves...

Dragon Pacific
2nd Dec 2021, 02:58
Weren’t those separate crew called something like Dragonair?
They had separate aeroplanes too which would be even more handy.

ToCatLady
2nd Dec 2021, 03:51
Have we ever had GMA that has done well from this role? A.Mc did reasonably well but perhaps that is because he was not a swire prince? the rest all seem to F*** it up really badly and their Swire careers stall in HR director roles.

Poisoned chalice

Jnr380
2nd Dec 2021, 04:24
The whole CX and HK government is such a tragic comedy that it can really be a great broadway show! Any writers in the group?

Cury Lamb
2nd Dec 2021, 04:25
Now Transit Pax are also in the firing line :rolleyes:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3158135/omicron-variant-hong-kong-health-experts-push

Tighten Covid rules on transit travellers: expert
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1622410-20211202.htm

jetjockey696
2nd Dec 2021, 04:44
Truly Christmas is here.. This year panto. is CXinderella.. Godmother Carrie told CXinderlla she must be home before midnight..otherwise.. suffer the consequences....... have a merry christmas..

Acepilothk99
2nd Dec 2021, 08:08
They say this like Hong Kong has more confirmed cases compared to China.. blind government puppets

Load Toad
3rd Dec 2021, 01:51
This is rather good: Penny's Bay

valhalla634
4th Dec 2021, 14:35
So frustrating and sad to see HK being completely snookered by China’s policies. In complete contrast to Singapore where they are following a calculated, scientific and logical plan to open up their economy.

Starbear
4th Dec 2021, 18:39
that’s not “rather good” that’s bloody excellent but sadly wasted on clown Carrie and team including her proxy (or poxy) jellyfish.

Test Monkey
6th Dec 2021, 21:22
Speaking of tightening things up in HKG.. can’t help but notice that the last post for this very active section on any thread is from 4th December.. has it been shut down by the people behind the curtain ?

Longtimer
7th Dec 2021, 00:17
Article from the BBC Hong Kong Covid: The Cathay pilots stuck in 'perpetual quarantine'Hong Kong Covid: The Cathay pilots stuck in 'perpetual quarantine' - BBC News (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59370672)

Rie
7th Dec 2021, 04:04
Pierre is only on 150. Some of the current guys leaving who got fed up after the penny's bay issue have had over 170, probably now over 180 days locked up.

Cury Lamb
7th Dec 2021, 10:28
Does 21 days in a forced PB solitary confinement count as being ‘homeless’ ? I’m signing up with Save the Chickens Foundation :ok:

Homeless people exempted from new app rule
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1623112-20211207.htm

MENELAUS
7th Dec 2021, 10:59
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x802/a3c193cf_4893_475b_bed6_5961f9abdb5b_6b80d9f8b86073af5ff0b43 fa733913dbff23f3c.jpeg

Oli777
7th Dec 2021, 14:35
@Globocnik BRILLIANT! :ok: hahaha, I need to circulate that to everyone!

MENELAUS
7th Dec 2021, 15:11
Can’t take any credit for it sadly. Act quick. Before our friendly mods do the govt’s job for them.

Starbear
7th Dec 2021, 19:10
seems they already have?

anxiao
8th Dec 2021, 16:45
And looks like someone cut it a wee bit tight on their visual to 25L :}

But a brilliant meme

MENELAUS
8th Dec 2021, 18:21
Yes the RNP (AR ) raim was a bit off that day.

Cury Lamb
10th Dec 2021, 06:09
Debbie ain’t doing Dallas no more:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x1466/eda98d1a_9165_4f1d_b484_91da0dc9fc4c_e28dbdac325a7e011ce3962 20b9321cacd9bb393.jpeg

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3159174/american-airlines-axes-hong-kong-dallas-service-another

Ecam321
10th Dec 2021, 12:33
Well, adding to the current HK fiasco....

Omicron variant: US travellers arriving in Hong Kong must spend first 7 days of quarantine at Penny’s Bay government facility, remaining 2 weeks at designated hotels
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3159237/omicron-variant-hong-kong-poised-tighten

mngmt mole
10th Dec 2021, 15:36
HK seems intent on removing itself from the list of places anyone will desire to travel to in their lifetimes. I suspect the long-term fallout will reverberate through this city for many years to come. An utterly craven and foolish local Govt, who history will judge destroyed one of the world great cities. Tragic

anxiao
10th Dec 2021, 15:52
Yes mole, I also think tragic. But entirely within the CCP playbook: isolate, sinicize, control.

Nothing new here, just 26 years early.

krismiler
11th Dec 2021, 22:58
One time use hotel room keys now.

​https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEAGj5EFEgsWeclZtwCiCPpcqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowief2CjCJ2dUCMNvw rAU?hl=en-SG&gl=SG&ceid=SG%3Aen

MENELAUS
12th Dec 2021, 00:20
What a complete bunch of *****. Frankly.

SOPS
12th Dec 2021, 01:37

​https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEAGj5EFEgsWeclZtwCiCPpcqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowief2CjCJ2dUCMNvw rAU?hl=en-SG&gl=SG&ceid=SG%3Aen

Why don’t they just handcuff them to the bed?

HKGDTT
12th Dec 2021, 01:54
CK or any DM will probably mandate no layovers and return thru extended duties and sleep in the bunk, add a makeshift bunk or two more on the freighters with the intent of saving money on layover expenses and solve the hotel room key card issue, that will be taken into account for next year´s bonus.

Farman Biplane
12th Dec 2021, 07:08
Sounds like a modern day slavery practice to me.

Jnr380
12th Dec 2021, 11:06

These ideas are clearly coming from company management to satisfy the HK government. If it was truly pushed by the Hong Kong government they would have us all strapped up with tracking bands, either wear them or don’t fly!

Cathay has shown their weakness, and that is it can’t fight on two fronts (government and crew) and both are pillars of support for the company. If one falls they will truly struggle come recovery.

Cury Lamb
12th Dec 2021, 12:13
Sounds like a modern day slavery practice to me.

Illegal in most countries, report the :mad: ers to the local authorities

Will IB Fayed
13th Dec 2021, 09:00

​https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...G&ceid=SG%3Aen (https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEAGj5EFEgsWeclZtwCiCPpcqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowief2CjCJ2dUCMNvw rAU?hl=en-SG&gl=SG&ceid=SG%3Aen)
I feel so sorry for my mates married to the closed loop salaries putting up with this ****.

SOPS
13th Dec 2021, 10:27
I feel so sorry for my mates married to the closed loop salaries putting up with this ****.

I have to ask.. why are people doing this? Are you so addicted to flying you have to subject yourself to this abuse? Or are you a person that can only imagine themselves as a pilot?

There is a life on the outside.. it takes some guts to do it.. but there is a life on the outside. Trust me.

Will IB Fayed
13th Dec 2021, 10:50
I think people have mortgaged themselves up, kids in private schools, to the point they cannot sit back on no income. Lets face it, there aren't many alternatives out there at the moment (unless you're American.)

Cury Lamb
13th Dec 2021, 11:02

For those who are not in a closed hell loop, do a night out on the town, and have some fun :}

And if nothing else, wear a DOUBLE mask, that should protect you against all ‘variants’, in whatever shape, size or form they come in!

'Use face masks, LeaveHomeSafe for prostitute visits'
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1623993-20211213.htm

Rie
13th Dec 2021, 18:58
'Use face masks, LeaveHomeSafe for prostitute visits'
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1623993-20211213.htm

Easier to just browse 141 and let them come to you. Just gotta setup a leave home safe QR code for the front door…

VforVENDETTA
21st Dec 2021, 03:45
Almost all pax flights to US and AUS just canceled until the end of January. Exemptions are not getting renewed. Not even loop exemption. It's temp basing overseas and very quickly or shutdown. Any crew getting off the plane in hk will be subject to full quarantine. Either hk based crews do a turnaround extended duty to a destination and back without getting off the plane at destination or overseas based pilots doing a turnaround to hk and back without getting off the plane in hk, or a shutdown. It's about time.

Unless the silly hk government backs down last minute. But they're so doubled down it seems unlikely. The sooner they drive this sh!tshow off the cliff the better.

just now... Actually the minister of transport temporarily won the fight against minister of health, no further restrictions on crew at this time. For now anyway.

Fac6
21st Dec 2021, 06:39
You love to talk rubbish. Flights are still going to the USA in January, the 880 is still operating, there are no changes to its schedule or most USA destinations.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story huh?

Cury Lamb
21st Dec 2021, 07:34
You love to talk rubbish. Flights are still going to the USA in January, the 880 is still operating, there are no changes to its schedule or most USA destinations.

Maybe V was talking about this:

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/fc/4/184808/HK-sees-five-Omicron-cases,-bans-Cathay-flights-from-New-York

Bueno Hombre
21st Dec 2021, 07:42
Everyone knows that if a policy is, or seems to be, not working, then there is a need to double down on it.

Fac6
21st Dec 2021, 08:06
Yes, possibly you are correct. So what will HK do when the rest of the world gets infected with this strain? Ban everyone? Never in my life have I seen a mentality like this. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif

Dragon Pacific
21st Dec 2021, 08:27
Yes, possibly you are correct. So what will HK do when the rest of the world gets infected with this strain? Ban everyone? Never in my life have I seen a mentality like this. https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif
I think you know the answer to that Fac6. Anyone whose job depends on them getting back to HK had better do so soon.

VforVENDETTA
21st Dec 2021, 12:08

Just to shut you up. And this is just half the list. They'll announce it in a day or two anyway.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1076x734/screenshot_20211221_210328_whatsapp_5ee7546edae7c905cf5191c8 bbb3124b4373e6da.jpg

carolknows
21st Dec 2021, 13:03
https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/4/184875/Nurse-of-Castle-Peak-Hospital-tests-positive-of-Covid-19?fbclid=IwAR3XljSMRbk_X4Ata6dF27mgS_yJDl4klKtP3980YaWxNvts fqwg_QI2kP4

Ok so do we lockdown the whole hosp and make city wide medical staff work closed loop now or what?

missingblade
21st Dec 2021, 13:54
https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/4/184875/Nurse-of-Castle-Peak-Hospital-tests-positive-of-Covid-19?fbclid=IwAR3XljSMRbk_X4Ata6dF27mgS_yJDl4klKtP3980YaWxNvts fqwg_QI2kP4

Ok so do we lockdown the whole hosp and make city wide medical staff work closed loop now or what?

Yes of course!!! She clearly got covid in Hong Kong before she went to the UK!! Isn't it obvious?

jetjockey696
22nd Dec 2021, 05:29
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3160575/omicron-variant-cathay-pacific-requires-london

Cury Lamb
22nd Dec 2021, 09:56
Cathay Pacific slashes flights to Australia

Cathay has scrubbed all flights to Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide, while Sydney drops to around two services per week.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/cathay-pacific-slashes-flights-to-australia

Dingleberry Handpump
22nd Dec 2021, 10:51
Cathay Pacific slashes flights to Australia

Cathay has scrubbed all flights to Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide, while Sydney drops to around two services per week.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/cathay-pacific-slashes-flights-to-australia

Definitely nothing to do with crew shortages. No, siree!

The hole dug by the crew management ‘bosses’ will take years to climb out of.

Cury Lamb
22nd Dec 2021, 10:58
Providing they stop digging, but then again, these clowns just can’t help themselves :rolleyes:

It’s the beginning of the end …

Rie
22nd Dec 2021, 11:03

The hole dug by the management who are leaving and being replaced by FO's. They are being left to struggle with the nightmare of old. Cycle will continue if the airline doesn't go down the drain.

kenfoggo
22nd Dec 2021, 14:48
They do not need to stop digging. When the crewing situation gets critical it will be somebody else’s problem as the management roundabout turns.

controlledrest
23rd Dec 2021, 01:29

If only we had crew based in Aussie (and elsewhere).

BuzzBox
23rd Dec 2021, 02:10
If only we had crew based in Aussie (and elsewhere).

Yup. What a short-sighted move. :ugh:

Cury Lamb
23rd Dec 2021, 05:57
Yup. What a short-sighted move. :ugh:

Time for the Jelly Fish to step down, he’s done more than enough damage already.

MENELAUS
23rd Dec 2021, 07:37
What ? Old spongebob squarepants ? There’d be no one left to take the piss out of.

herewego75
23rd Dec 2021, 10:03
I wonder if these pilots that are posting pictures on their social media, posting comments on yammer, agreeing "strongly" with comments etc are going to finally grow a pair and... Take some well deserved time off!
All it requires is an appointment, email and a backbone!

But alas. The moaning will continue, the pictures will get posted, the loops will be full, PB will fill up - rinse and repeat.

Fool Sufferer
23rd Dec 2021, 11:40
Out of interest, what has become of your self-promoting “prancing carrot”?

Oasis
23rd Dec 2021, 13:09
Other airlines pay hazard pay to fly to Hong Kong.
The job has probably gotten twice as long and hard (thats what she said) on a work day, on off days, you're still working getting tests and wrapping your head around the latest changes.
All the while getting shafted on cos18.
Flying with psychologically challenged crew.

They must be laughing on the third floor, wondering why they didn't try this before..
The only ones staying will have high percentage of the weak and the desperate.

If there isn't a time to shut this mickey mouse flying club down, it is now... Wheres the AOA? Pricing microwaves?

Jnr380
23rd Dec 2021, 13:20
Who do you think provides suggestions to the government about further tightening the screws? Not the CHP, they’re too busy trying to start a fire by banging two rocks together.

The company is providing recommendations to the government to maintain/increase exemptions. In other words, they’re gambling with your mental health to keep operations going.

All the “support” provided by the company is meaningless unless the root cause is addressed, and unfortunately that will never happen.

FlightoftheNavigator
23rd Dec 2021, 15:12
Nah, everything is fine! We can definitely recovery from this! We just need to cut costs a little bit more! Except our bonus, thats definitely off the table..

propje
24th Dec 2021, 08:03
And remember they haven’t touched that 39billion either….

MENELAUS
24th Dec 2021, 08:21
Another crew banged up today. Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

Dufo
24th Dec 2021, 08:43
Another crew banged up today. Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

Cathay crew?

propje
24th Dec 2021, 09:00
Hong Kong Finds Suspected Local Omicron Case in Airport Cleaner
Does this mean that all airport staff who are close contacts are send to PB ?

MENELAUS
24th Dec 2021, 09:34
Apparently so. Ex SYD

VforVENDETTA
24th Dec 2021, 12:22
Positive cases from SYD and LON. all cx flights suspended to both destinations for 2 weeks.

AQIS Boigu
24th Dec 2021, 12:23
Apparently so. Ex SYD

So who will clean the toilets then???

carolknows
24th Dec 2021, 13:29
closed loop style cleaning schedule!!
4 weeks on, 2 weeks off in full PPE and daily testing for the greater health benefit of everyone? yay or nay

hungry wolf
24th Dec 2021, 15:21
Positive cases from SYD and LON. all cx flights suspended to both destinations for 2 weeks.
Any reference ?

cannot
25th Dec 2021, 09:02
Just go to CX website LHR - HKG only available flights route through FRA

very merry Christmas Everyone

MENELAUS
25th Dec 2021, 09:10
Especially to the poor unfortunates banged up
over the period. With or without their families.

Cury Lamb
25th Dec 2021, 09:27
Just go to CX website LHR - HKG only available flights route through FRA

very merry Christmas Everyone

Ho ho ho, here we go:

More flights banned as HK logs 25 new imported cases
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1625961-20211225.htm

3Greens
25th Dec 2021, 15:13
The problem with a zero Covid strategy is that there is no end game now. I don’t see the Chinese culture allowing them to change their strategy in the face of a highly transmissible variant of SARS COV-2, so HKG and China will no doubt remain isolated and cut off from the rest of the world for the foreseeable.
I don’t see how Cathay can survive at all

Oasis
25th Dec 2021, 16:43
The only way forward is an outbreak in China or Hong Kong.

Dualbleed
25th Dec 2021, 17:24
The outbreak is coming, no ifs and buts about it.

Dragon Pacific
26th Dec 2021, 04:46
The outbreak is coming, no ifs and buts about it.

I agree Dual. Indeed it will be a miracle if they manage to keep it out now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/dec/26/covid-live-news-france-and-italy-see-record-daily-cases-australias-omicron-outbreak-spreads?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

hyg
26th Dec 2021, 05:35
SYD and LHR got suspended for 14 days. RIP long haul stopover revenue.

Zero Covid Strategy will and always make no sense when vaccines are a thing. It sucks that agreement with ZCS doesn't seem to be limited to the pro-establishment or pan-democracy camp in HK - it seems to be agreed across the board with only expats against it. Very little local talk on switching to SG-style Living with Covid and abandoning 21 day quarantine.

Huan yin lai dao Xiang Gang
1. There is no more pan-democracy camp in HK, they are all either in jail or left HK
2. As the former HK Legco President Rita Fan once said, if you can't accept the 'one country two systems', you are welcome to leave... and FYI, their definition is one country > 2 systems, so if PRC says control covid at all costs, the SARs do as they are told.
3. The HK Gov is ONLY interested in opening the border with PRC, whether or not the rest of the world can come to HK, they don't really care.
4. Ppl in HK want to travel, many actually want to go have a look at what it's like in UK/Canada/Australia as it's not easy to move without having actually been to the place for more than a week. But at the same time, many locals are happy that because of the border restrictions, there are much fewer mainlanders on the streets in general.

Just like you don't question why North Korea has a 0 COVID strategy, you don't question the CCP's policies if you want to continue to live in HK. The CCP has been getting ready for internal circulation of the economy since the trade war started, as the current Deputy Chairman Wang said a few years ago, the Chinese can survive on just eating grass for a year. You might as well stop the wishful thinking and just accept it or just do what many locals have done in the last 12 months, leave...

Cury Lamb
26th Dec 2021, 09:43
Oh FFS, just shut down the whole dog & pony show already!!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x1484/d09a43a4_071c_4ed0_8f98_5dbfdb1a0bb3_1c6a47754b688dd57438984 89e014e6c06d2ccf9.jpeg
The Cathay Pacific crew member had left for the United States last Wednesday, and tested preliminary-positive for the coronavirus on Saturday, triggering mandatory testing – though not an overnight lockdown – for residents of Tower 3 in Tung Chung’s Visionary condominium complex.

Cathay Pacific flights from London, Korean Air services from Seoul and Emirates Airlines flights from Dubai were halted for two weeks each after passengers the carriers brought to the city were found infected on arrival.

Trigger_
26th Dec 2021, 12:07
Politician Michael Tien points out (26 Dec) that allowing the aircrew members to quarantine at home increases the risk of COVID transmittance, while there is a loophole for not keeping airport workers in close-loop operations.
Sophia Chan, Secretary for Food and Health, is recommending third dose to those groups of high risk to exposure, such as airport workers, aircrew, and workers at quarantine hotels. What about asking the many medical workers especially those working in public hospital to get third dose? This is being kept in low-profile.
Leung Chi Chiu, specialist in Respiratory Medicine, saying that circuit breaker has to be applied to the many high risk countries when necessary, not just for particular flights, but the regions with incoming cases, or even restricting passengers from those countries to transit in Hong Kong.

They are all pointing towards aviation industry. It is on the news everyday. These tend to kill the industry, torture aviation workers. No one cares about how serious is the illness of those fully jabbed. Number of confirmed cases is the only index. Is it something incurable? Elderly are super inert to get vaccinated.

Pay attention to the medical workers on this YouTube clip (3:26 / 8:52 / 11:46) named " I have COVID-19. Tested positive & hospitalised in Hong Kong! "
Those paramedics transferring COVID patients, hospital workers and cleaners are working near the patient and are not required to quarantine for 14/21 days after work. The main difference is that they all wear full PPE and face shield. Either the aircrew wear like this for quarantine free, or medical workers handling COVID patients should quarantine for weeks.

After all, the company will lose money and absorb every hard impact brought by the virus.

mngmt mole
26th Dec 2021, 15:27
George Orwell couldn't have come up with a story this bleak or depressing...

VforVENDETTA
28th Dec 2021, 09:05
LAX & YYZ just got suspended for 14 days.

krismiler
28th Dec 2021, 09:28
Returning aircargo crews to get 3 days hotel quarantine.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/covid-19-hong-kong-tighten-air-crew-quarantine-rules-omicron-threat-2404351

Bueno Hombre
28th Dec 2021, 09:32
[QUOTE=Cury Lamb;11160974]Oh FFS, just shut down the whole dog & pony show already
Yes ordinary Hong Kong People do not choose to travel with this arrogant and expensive airline.
Shut it down now before more Hong Kong Taxpayers Money is wasted on it.

VforVENDETTA
28th Dec 2021, 10:24
[QUOTE=Cury Lamb;11160974]Oh FFS, just shut down the whole dog & pony show already
Yes ordinary Hong Kong People do not choose to travel with this arrogant and expensive airline.
Shut it down now before more Hong Kong Taxpayers Money is wasted on it.
Ordinary hk people can't afford to fly anyway. They're irrelevant.

1200firm
28th Dec 2021, 11:02
Currently 3 days. End of Jan it will be 1 week. End of Feb it will be 2 weeks. Please be guided accordingly.

skyboss
28th Dec 2021, 15:14
Currently 3 days. End of Jan it will be 1 week. End of Feb it will be 2 weeks. Please be guided accordingly.
you are absolutely right with your prediction. 3 days is only the beginning