PDA

View Full Version : Nasty birdstrike

catseye
26th Oct 2021, 06:41
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-10-26/ibis-smashes-through-pilots-windscreen-like-a-missile/100568218

aroa
27th Oct 2021, 22:17
RIP that Ibis.
Incoming to Birdsville many moons ago, on the radio was a child’s cry ‘Daddy Daddy that was a bird’ !
On landing, there was a C 206 covered in blood and feathers with a broken oil cooler, damage to the cowl in line with the lh seat. Lucky ? strike and not thru the windscreen. Was a station owner with his kids in the back.
Could have been very much worse. Violent death for the pelican only, thankfully.

My pelican out of Rockhampton, checked it’s six, folded it’s wings and fell away like a rock. Must have had plenty of prior experience over the wetlands beyond the runway. Good one.

thunderbird five
28th Oct 2021, 04:26
I've heard of "Angry Birds" but not nasty birds.

Ixixly
28th Oct 2021, 08:06
Last Ibis strike I remember was about 12 years back at Archerfield, hit the leading edge of a 172 doing circuits, they had to replace the entire wing it was so badly dented, bloody bin chickens are a force to be reckoned with! :}

mustafagander
28th Oct 2021, 09:41
I love the title "Nasty Birdstrike". Can someone show me a nice one???

Charlie Foxtrot India
28th Oct 2021, 11:30
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x480/rfds_bird_strike_2_aba45004c74ffb3e5d43ecc3cdf0ae149ae1ec99. jpg
RFDS 1, Pelican 0

Union Jack
28th Oct 2021, 13:51
RIP that Ibis.
Incoming to Birdsville many moons ago, on the radio was a child’s cry ‘Daddy Daddy that was a bird’ !
On landing, there was a C 206 covered in blood and feathers with a broken oil cooler, damage to the cowl in line with the lh seat. Lucky ? strike and not thru the windscreen. Was a station owner with his kids in the back.
Could have been very much worse. Violent death for the pelican only, thankfully.

My pelican out of Rockhampton, checked it’s six, folded it’s wings and fell away like a rock. Must have had plenty of prior experience over the wetlands beyond the runway. Good one.
"Birdsville" you say? I'm glad that all was ultimately well, butt's all in the name.

Jack

aroa
29th Oct 2021, 03:32
Lots of birds on the Birdsville lagoon…and all close to the airstrip. And thermalling near to.
After seeing that episode, I chose a downwind take off away from the lagoon.
No feathered air combat wanted.

FL235
31st Oct 2021, 03:51
Back in the day when 23 Sqn had Meteors, one of a tail-chase pair hit a wedgie at low level at a fair turn of speed. Unfortunate bird impacted on the lip of an intake, 1/2 going into the wing, the other thru the engine, removing all the engine instrument leads/sensors in the process. With no engine instruments he shut down the engine & came home on one. One of our better pilots was scrambled to do an external inspection, and after putting the canopy into the tailpipe, advised to try a restart. Successful, so just keep the throttles together and investigate handling for landing.
The wing damage took over as the speed fell, uncontrollable roll at about 150kts. So he plastered it on the long runway at Amberley at 160 or so kts. We quite expected the brakes to burn out, as had happened on several occasions in normal ops. Procedure was to pull onto the grass, retract the gear and sit down on the ventral tank.. But they survived in this case, so all was well, apart from the meteor, which required considerable work. The impact had wrapped the leading edge of the wing back around the aileron control rod & reached the spar, and the nacelle leading edge was smashed. Oh, and the wedgie of course

31st Oct 2021, 12:19
The biggest I can claim was an Emu.
Just took the head off the bird with the leading edge just outboard of the RH engine nacelle. Luckily just after liftoff.
Only damage was a small dent about 100mm back from leading edge.

Ascend Charlie
1st Nov 2021, 01:51
Flying a Huey around 100kt, saw a Halag (a Galah facing the other way) just in front of the windscreen but had no time to react, and thankfully it just skimmed past on the right side and apparently missed us. Then the cockpit was sort of filled with grey ash, strange... but then it turned out to be feathers. Then the intercom comment of "Eeewww!" from the crewman. The rhs door was pinned back, and the bird was sucked into the cabin and smeared itself all over his boot!

No need to file a birdstrike report, but the crewy needed some time to clean the back of the aircraft.

megan
1st Nov 2021, 04:22
Sprog held on taxi way while EMS King Air departed then began backtracking, half way down runway observed an aircraft suddenly appear on final which was not responding to radio, took to the grass off the side of runway to let him land. EMS King Air had taken a Ibis a foot or two inboard of the wing tip on departure.

A chap of ours in a S-76 took a bird at the top of the windscreen divider, bird then went up into the main rotor where a blade slapped it down through the cabin roof into the passengers laps. Lunch is served, guaranteed fresh. The hit on the windscreen forced the fire handles out of their detent which dropped the generators off line, which meant they lost the stabilisation system, result, trying to corral a herd of cats for a period of time. Same didn't turn out so well for others, what a difference having a glass windscreen, as in our case, compared to a weight saving plastic.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/73183/pdf

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/852x474/sz_51b1715a9476055953e95ad8e8e1fbb8117cfa7c.png

Ascend Charlie
1st Nov 2021, 05:17
I recall there was an Orion that took a seabird on the radome, it got as far back as the instrument panel, where it pushed 2 of the fire handles out - vvhhwhoosh. Lucky they still had 2 turning, and hadn't shut one down for the cruise.

Mach1Muppet
2nd Nov 2021, 02:34
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/400x606/f111_46f9e9ea62bc00ccd39db8614d5d2b97bc59bb9b.jpg
F111 was a big one

Ascend Charlie
2nd Nov 2021, 07:06
There was also the bird that went through the windscreen of the F-111 at Evans head, took out two of my friends.