PDA

View Full Version : discovery wings

skua
22nd Aug 2002, 21:38
When I first got satellite TV a year ago, I was very pleasantly surprised to find a TV channel dedicated solely to aviation. Joy.

However the station is a total con, it is like Groundhog Day - it seems that every time you sit down to relish some aviation escapism, you end up seeing something that has been screened already once if not more.

Anybody else share my anguish?

G-SPOTs Lost
22nd Aug 2002, 22:20
Indeed....

very true.....

Baldie Man
23rd Aug 2002, 10:08
They do show a new programme once in while. We had Farnborough Airshow 2002 earlier this week. No doubt you'll be able to catch it at some later date if you missed it! :D

But for real gut renching amusement check out Vibe TV on channel 455. :o

....and before you ask - no she is not famous yet.

BM.

Tonic Please
23rd Aug 2002, 11:04
Although I agree with you saying that Discovery wings repeats many shows, it is not the only channel to do so...

It seems the Discovery Channel "s" are running out of things to document and air onto TV. A possible reason for this could be the shear amount of documentary channels talking, almost, about the same things.

How many shows have I seen about Tornados?...not the aircraft, the spinning cloud things. I should think we could re-write the scripts to some of these shows we see them so many times...unless we have the intent and/or effort of reaching for that control and pressing a number on it :D

Smooth skies

Evanelpus
23rd Aug 2002, 15:08
....and Brendan O'Brien looks younger and younger!!!

Iron City
23rd Aug 2002, 15:16
I'm waiting for the Humidity Channel All the Water all the time.

Divergent Phugoid!
24th Aug 2002, 09:44
Come on Guys and Girls, when was the last time you read the TV listings??

Repeats every day, on all channels, on terrestrial TV!! Why should Sky/Satellite be different??

My only gripe is that My Discovery Wings dissappeared from my screen early part of the year.... Along with ITV Digital!!! (and Yes I had paid my subs!!:p )

Gin Slinger
24th Aug 2002, 16:14
Watched a Discovery Wings film, called 'Sky Truckers', about Cargo Lion freight airline's DC-8 recently for the n-th time.

Could watch that film over and over again, and thanks to DW's shortage of new programming I have!!

Highlights include Bertram's approach into the airfield at the end of a fjord in Greenland, and of course Loadmaster Jones, eating his cheese sandwich after being on duty for 27 hours in succession.

It's really motivational viewing for a wannabe airline pilot like me.

fradu
24th Aug 2002, 18:59
Gin Slinger,

I can fully understand your feelings about the SkyTruckers episode, I feel exactly the same way.

Discovery Wings was to close down, but it has got a reprieve and will stay on (or should that be in?) the air.

Mark

maxalt
25th Aug 2002, 23:48
If you pick up a copy of PILOT each month you'll see they have a Video Review section where they check out the latest aviation video releases. There appears to be no shortage of new material. SKY/Discovery Channel however seem incapable of bagging it. Are they incompetent or just cheap? Your decision.

Gin Slinger
26th Aug 2002, 00:12
Discovery Wings was to close down, - says it all really...

tony draper
26th Aug 2002, 08:47
Neil Armstrong had a pretty good series of half hour aviation docs a while back, he flew warbirds from every era.
Strangely for Discovery it hasn't been repeated.
Recently upgraded from analogue cable to digital and got a few more documentry channels, the History channel seems to be very similar to Discovery ,once you have watched it for a couple of months thats all she wrote. ;)

Iron City
27th Aug 2002, 15:03
I believe History channel is owned by the same people that own Discovery Channel, at least that is so in US.

So many repeats of WW II stuff in history channel my wife started calling it the Hitler Channel.

Reichman
28th Aug 2002, 14:15
I think it's great that they keep showing repeats - easpecially the one of me being interviewed at a certain airshow. :D

fradu
29th Aug 2002, 11:50
Indeed, someone I know was on last night being interviewed at an airshow. He may be interviewed this year too!

M