PDA

View Full Version : FAA IEP Written Exam (EASA IR to FAA IR Conversion)

Warrior2
19th Oct 2021, 09:37
Hi All,

Just so nobody mixes up the process, this is not to get an FAA 61.75 validation. I am using the scope defined in the TIP-L which has been agreed by the FAA and EASA. My question specifically relates to the two written examinations required by the FAA to convert. Has anyone sat either the PEP or IEP written exams?

This is not to do with the IFP - Instrument Foreign Pilor written which is a validation of a european licence.

Is the IEP question database only related to airspace/comms etc or is it on the complete IR database?

Refards,

W2

awair
19th Oct 2021, 14:04
Based on my experience with IFP, I would suspect that it will also include Regulations and Airport Procedures.

Since the FAA have still not completed converting all Knowledge Test questions to the ACS reference format, there may be inadvertent inclusions, as well as ‘wider definitions’ of what is really on the paper.

Also with the reduced number of questions, there is a greater prospect of a fail, with fewer incorrect answers.

Since the Private database is relatively simple, as is the Instrument alone, I would recommend reviewing the full test prep for each. While not the most comprehensive databanks, I found the ASA iOS apps more than sufficient.

Good luck.

awair
19th Oct 2021, 14:18
Having just checked, my ASA apps were out of date…

The publisher frequently updates the app (for free).

The options for testing/practise now include both the PEP and IEP options. Even more recommended for your scenario.

See attached, the number of questions for each knowledge test (according to the ASA database).

Good luck.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/608x707/ddcb70c4_6288_48cd_bf24_a577c4b9bb55_aac342eee1fd2dcc0cb3457 b150f8e99dd53644b.jpeg

IEP, above; PEP, below

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/633x974/a5e448ea_52a2_4fcf_a8b0_3aba43b31c94_edcaf424047f9a7dbf5bbd9 f48ff7400d36b38b4.jpeg

Warrior2
24th Oct 2021, 19:18
I really appreciate the help awair, I did the IEP exam and passed yesterday! Would you have the same screenshot for the PEP? Do ASA have a prep for PEP exam?

Many thanks. It was a great help and was exactly as per the ASA questions

Genghis the Engineer
24th Oct 2021, 20:57
For what it's worth I did the whole IR rather than the bridge a couple of years ago. I used the ASA guides (one for written, one for oral), plus Rod Machado's superb online learning material. The ASA written test guide includes subscription for a load of online practice tests, which were excellent.

I sailed through the written using those, and Rod Machado's material was superb for understanding all things IFR in the USA. The oral was the real challenge, and I confess I took two goes, but the ASA oral test guide + Rod Machado did get me through second time.

I would recommend the same for anybody doing any flavour of US IR now, but with SPECIAL attention (i.e. memorise the whole damned thing) to the oral exam guide.

G

Arrow Flyer
25th Oct 2021, 08:20
I plan to do the PEP and IEP written exams next year, are these are ASA apps we're talking about?

https://www.asa2fly.com/Prepware-Instrument-iOS-P1939C575.aspx
https://www.asa2fly.com/Prepware-Private-Pilot-iOS-P1938C575.aspx#Description

awair
25th Oct 2021, 12:53
My screenshot above was for both exams. I've now inserted a space between...

The apps are the iOS versions, which have been continually updated for free since I first purchased. Android is also available. Not sure if the desktop versions expire?

https://www.asa2fly.com/Apps-for-Apple-C590.aspx

And congratulations!

Warrior2
31st Oct 2021, 19:00
Thank you!

Just for information, the FAA does not accept an IPC completed in Europe for the purposes of this conversion process. The documentation states the IPC must be completed within the USA.

W2

Warrior2
7th Nov 2021, 18:49
PEP exam was ok! Some aerodynamics questions and a few odd bits here and there but the ASA test prep was perfect for the prep. I got my IPC done in the USA and I now have a stand alone PPL with Single and Multi Instrument! Delighted

Arrow Flyer
8th Nov 2021, 19:22
Congratulations and thanks for the feedback!

Jifrisco
11th May 2023, 12:13
Hi, I do have a FAA PPL and also an EASA PPL + IR. Now I'd like to add the IR to my FAA PPL and saw 3 ways (correct me if I'm wrong) :
1. Go to US and train to pass the normal written test + IPC (Instrument proficency check), maybe getting credits from my EASA IR. But it would be long and I don't know which Visa I'd need.
2. Validate my EASA IR on my FAA PPL via a IFP (14CFR61§75d), through just a specific written exam, knowing after I need to have always my IR EASA valid with me
3.Convert my EASA IR and add an IR on my FAA PPL (AC61-143) through a specific written test (IEP), + 10 hours acclimatation flying + IPCheck

Solutions 2 and 3 start wuth a form 8060-71 to get a verification letter.
But already there, I need to say which FSDO I'd use.
Anyone have some recommandations ? And in case I go for solution 3, any school to recommend where they can train me ? And lastly, which visa is needed ?

selfin
12th May 2023, 02:26
Jifrisco, your first option requires a US practical test with a pilot examiner or FAA inspector rather than an IPC. Your existing instrument flight time, including instrument flight time under instruction, ought to be countable iaw 14 CFR 61.41. Assuming it's for the airplane category, only the IRA knowledge test counts under this option. The second option has the advantage of avoiding the need for a US medical certificate. If you are so inclined, it could be worthwhile applying for this in addition to a standard IR. The third option, a conversion pursuant to the EU-US conversion agreement, only applies to licences and ratings issued by an EU country.

The conversion option has the major advantage of avoiding a US practical test with an pilot examiner or FAA inspector. It can also be pursued without needing to undertake instrument flight training, save for any recurrent training needed to pass the IPC. The TIP-L requires the IPC to be done before applying for the rating. The same is true for the flight review, which must be done before applying for the standard US private pilot certificate.

The TIP-L at para 2.3.5, point (a)(ii)(2), states that you can avoid needing to acclimatisation (training) if you have "[p]rior experience of at least 10 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on airplanes in the United States gained after initial issue of the [EU Part-FCL] IR(A)." The FAA interprets "under IFR" as meaning "instrument flight time," which means flight by sole reference to the instruments done in either simulated or actual instrument conditions. Under 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1)(i), you may log this flight time as PIC if you are the sole manipulator of the controls (etc). This means you can fly these ten hours in simulated instrument conditions in the United States, with a safety pilot, without invoking the need for a TSA security threat assessment, because no instrument flight training will have been received. Otherwise, unless you're a US national, you'll need a TSA security threat assessment before receiving training towards the instrument rating from a US flight instructor, regardless of where in the world it's done.

You are right that the specific knowledge test must be done in each case. In other words, the regular IRA knowledge test only counts for a standard IR sought by way of a US practical test. The IRA does not count for the IR obtained under the EU-US conversion agreement, nor for the restricted (foreign-based) IR issued iaw 14 CFR 61.75.

Foreign pilot verification requests can now be made through IACRA. You can also use IACRA to apply for a standard US private/instrument pursuant to the EU-US conversion agreement. Pick whichever FSDO suits you. You can easily nominate a different FSDO later.

If you wish to undertake training, you'll probably need an M-1 (non-academic/vocational) student visa. You won't need a visa merely to write a knowledge test or attempt an IPC. Recurrent training on small aeroplanes won't require a visa or TSA security threat assessment either.

Jifrisco
12th May 2023, 09:09
Jifrisco, your first option requires a US practical test with a pilot examiner or FAA inspector rather than an IPC. Your existing instrument flight time, including instrument flight time under instruction, ought to be countable iaw 14 CFR 61.41. Assuming it's for the airplane category, only the IRA knowledge test counts under this option. The second option has the advantage of avoiding the need for a US medical certificate. If you are so inclined, it could be worthwhile applying for this in addition to a standard IR. The third option, a conversion pursuant to the EU-US conversion agreement, only applies to licences and ratings issued by an EU country.

The conversion option has the major advantage of avoiding a US practical test with an pilot examiner or FAA inspector. It can also be pursued without needing to undertake instrument flight training, save for any recurrent training needed to pass the IPC. The TIP-L requires the IPC to be done before applying for the rating. The same is true for the flight review, which must be done before applying for the standard US private pilot certificate.

The TIP-L at para 2.3.5, point (a)(ii)(2), states that you can avoid needing to acclimatisation (training) if you have "[p]rior experience of at least 10 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on airplanes in the United States gained after initial issue of the [EU Part-FCL] IR(A)." The FAA interprets "under IFR" as meaning "instrument flight time," which means flight by sole reference to the instruments done in either simulated or actual instrument conditions. Under 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1)(i), you may log this flight time as PIC if you are the sole manipulator of the controls (etc). This means you can fly these ten hours in simulated instrument conditions in the United States, with a safety pilot, without invoking the need for a TSA security threat assessment, because no instrument flight training will have been received. Otherwise, unless you're a US national, you'll need a TSA security threat assessment before receiving training towards the instrument rating from a US flight instructor, regardless of where in the world it's done.

You are right that the specific knowledge test must be done in each case. In other words, the regular IRA knowledge test only counts for a standard IR sought by way of a US practical test. The IRA does not count for the IR obtained under the EU-US conversion agreement, nor for the restricted (foreign-based) IR issued iaw 14 CFR 61.75.

Foreign pilot verification requests can now be made through IACRA. You can also use IACRA to apply for a standard US private/instrument pursuant to the EU-US conversion agreement. Pick whichever FSDO suits you. You can easily nominate a different FSDO later.

If you wish to undertake training, you'll probably need an M-1 (non-academic/vocational) student visa. You won't need a visa merely to write a knowledge test or attempt an IPC. Recurrent training on small aeroplanes won't require a visa or TSA security threat assessment either.

Hello Selfin,
Thanks a lot for those explanations.

I focus on option 2 (validation under Part 61.75d) or option 3 (conversion or an European licence -I read the TIP-L and understand it better now).
This said, when you say that the IPC must be taken before the application, I suppose you mean before to fullfil the FAA form 8710-1 ?

Because, If I get it right, I understood that the first step is to ask for a verification letter through a Form 8060-71, and it can take up to 90 days to receive that letter.
Then, I need to go to USA for a written test (IFP for option 2 or IEP for option 3 - I read that no endorsement is needed for IFP but well for IEP, right ?). So far, no Visa needed, an Esta should be enough.
Of course, I speak english (and I have a English Level Proficency certificate - level 5) and have both Medicals (FAA and EASA) valid.

Now, once the written test in the pocket :
-For option 2 what happens after the written test ? Is an IPC needed ? I suppose I don't get an FAA licence but something prooving I validated my IR and so can fly on US planes (in USA and outside) ?
-For option 3 I need to do an IPC (after 50 hr IFR experience as PIC or after 10h acclimatisation flights with TSA or as you say with a safety pilot without TSA needed) and then I fulfill the Form 8710-1, in order to get a new FAA licence with IR. Right ?

The goal is obviously to fly IFR on a N registered airplane, in USA or in Europe, and going only once to USA for all the exams/checkrides to be done.

selfin
12th May 2023, 13:36
The FAA Airmen Certification Branch is usually pretty quick about requesting foreign licence records. Delays are almost entirely caused by the foreign authority. Once again, the verification can be requested through IACRA, which saves you filling in paper/pdf forms. You will need to register on IACRA to obtain an FAA Tracking Number (FTN), which is needed to book a knowledge test.

Unless you're working for the US DoD, you'll need to do the FAA knowledge test within the United States. There is no instructor endorsement needed for the first attempt at the ICP, IEP, and IFP knowledge tests. You can verify this by checking page 11 in the FAA Airman Knowledge Testing Matrix. The knowledge test can be booked through PSI at https://faa.psiexams.com/faa/login

An IPC is needed to exercise instrument privileges and the check must be passed before applying for a standard US IR under the EU-US conversion agreement. You may apply for a restricted US instrument rating, pursuant to 14 CFR 61.75, without passing an IPC; however, an IPC is needed to use the rating.

"after 10h acclimatisation flights with TSA"

No, the TIP-L does not prescribe a number of hours for the acclimatization (training). That is left to the discretion of the US flight instructor. You are exempt from completing this acclimatization (training) if you have 10 hours of instrument flight time as PIC, logged after obtaining the EU Part-FCL IR. So, if you don't have those hours, go find a buddy or mentor through NAFI/SAFE/EAA/AOPA or whatever and either do simulated instrument flying or use a restricted instrument rating to fly in actual IMC. NB: if you're flying in actual IMC, you'll need an IPC to first establish instrument currency.

Once you've received the verification letter, you can apply through IACRA for a standard US private pilot certificate and/or standard US instrument rating, to be issued iaw the EU-US conversion agreement.

Jifrisco
12th May 2023, 20:03
Thanks a lot Selfin for the impressive input

Jifrisco
29th May 2023, 10:44
Hello Selfin, I have 3 more questions :
-I understood that for the validation, I need to pass the IFP written exam + do an IPC. I would then get an IR based on my EASA licence. Does that mean that the FAA PPL I already have would be replaced by this validated PPL +IR ? In other words, should I always have my EASA + FAA licences with me in the future, even if I just fly VFR in USA ?

-If I go for the conversion and find someone who helps me flying 10 hours in simulated IFR in USA in order to avoid the accimatization flight and Visa for training, I need to pass the IEP written test + IPC. Does this IPC differ from the one for a validation ? I read it has to be done with an examiner/ASI or AST within USA.

-If you know a school in USA familiar with those processes, suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Jifrisco

selfin
31st May 2023, 22:53
The restricted (foreign-based) US pilot certificate will be reissued if you apply for the addition of an instrument rating. This type of certificate requires you to carry the associated foreign licence and medical certificate, if applicable. 14 CFR 61.75(g).

"... find someone who helps me flying 10 hours in simulated IFR... "

You will be helping yourself to fly these ten hours of instrument flight time. That is not the responsibility of the safety pilot. Otherwise, you're right it's the IEP knowledge test for the rating gained under the EU-US conversion agreement. The FAA is quite strict about the particular knowledge test to be taken.

The IPC in both cases is identical. The only distinction is that the IPC must be done prior to applying for a standard US instrument rating under the EU-US conversion agreement. A US instrument flight instructor (CFI-I or CFII or CFI-IA, however you want to style it) is considered an examiner for this purpose.

Unless you do acclimatization (training) under an M-1 visa, you do not need a flight school. There are loads of mentors on NAFI/EAA/SAFE who will happily assist as a safety pilot. Or ask around in social groups like Flights Above.

Alessandro2104
7th Jul 2023, 12:30
Hello,

i'd like to know if someone knows that i can do an IR ME in a foreign country knowing that i have a french CPL in a modular formation?
Btw does someone has new feedback on this aviation school

thanks in advance

Jifrisco
17th Jul 2023, 12:18
Hello Selfin,
I now have received my validation letter from the FAA and I'm preparing my visit to USA.
Still a bit hesitating between the validation and the conversion processes and so far it seems that many schools in USA don't know the related regulations.
Knowing I have a FAA PPL (standalone) and a EASA PPL +IR :

If I go for the validation, I guess I can use the 61.75 d) to validate my EASA IR and put it on my FAA PPL, by passing a IFP written test and an IPC. I had a doubbt when reading 61.75 b) " Does not hold a U.S. pilot certificate other than a U.S. student pilot certificate", but I suppose this one is only for validating the PPL, not the IR. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I go for the conversion under TIP-L I would fly with a safety pilot in order to get minimum 10 hours IFR in USA and avoid the need of acclimatization flights with instuctor. In this case, I can log the IFR hours as PIC, right ? In order to fly IFR (SID, en-route, holdings, intercepts, approaches,...) do I have to file a IFR FPL ? Or do I file VFR and ask ATC to do "simulated IFR" ?

awair
18th Jul 2023, 08:05
If you already hold a standalone FAA private, you cannot validate to get a second certificate by virtue of 61.75.

If you already held the 61.75, you can add the Instrument by completing the Knowledge Test.

Good luck.

Jifrisco
18th Jul 2023, 08:49
If you already hold a standalone FAA private, you cannot validate to get a second certificate by virtue of 61.75.

If you already held the 61.75, you can add the Instrument by completing the Knowledge Test.

Good luck.
Hello Awair,

Thanks for your answer.
So, if I read you well, as I have a stand alone PPL FAA, the only way to add an IR is to do the conversion of my EASA IR according to the TIP-L with written IEP + IPC (of course except a full FAA IR but this is not relevant here) ?
And the validation process related in 61.75 d) (" Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S. pilot certificate provided...) is only true if the PPL itself was already a validated one through 61.75 ?

Best regards,
Jifrisco

awair
19th Jul 2023, 00:57
Hello Awair,

Thanks for your answer.
So, if I read you well, as I have a stand alone PPL FAA, the only way to add an IR is to do the conversion of my EASA IR according to the TIP-L with written IEP + IPC (of course except a full FAA IR but this is not relevant here) ?
And the validation process related in 61.75 d) (" Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S. pilot certificate provided...) is only true if the PPL itself was already a validated one through 61.75 ?

Best regards,
Jifrisco

61.75 is self-contained, and refers only to "piggy-back" or "issued on the basis of" certificates

61.75(b)(3)
you can only get the the validation if you don't already hold a US certificate

61.75(d) is part of 61.75, so only refers to adding the IR to a 61.75 certificate.

Jifrisco
1st Sep 2023, 13:12
I just come back from USA where I went to convert my EASA IR into a FAA one.
As I already had a FAA PPL, I couldn't use the validation process acc. to 61.75, so the conversion acc. to TIP-L was the way.
I had both EASA and FAA Medicals and was current with a FAA BFR.
After receiving my validation letter from the FAA (it took +/- 45 days), I organized a trip to Orlando, where I found a school to fly the requested acclimatization hours, as I didn't have 50 hours IR PIC yet, nor of course 10 hours IR PIC in USA.
Some told me to do those acclimatization hours as PIC with a safety pilot, but I finally did it with an instructor from the school, and that was not too expensive (75$ per hour for the instructor) but worth. The flying was nothing new, but for sure the radio coms are challenging when you are french speaker like me. Those acclimatization hours are considered as recurrent instruction, so no need for a student Visa, a simple Esta was enough.
I passed the specific IEP written test with 100% result. Of course I studied well the FAA syllabi (Instrument flying and Instrument procedures handbooks - for free on FAA website), ASA instrument test prep book and sporty's instrument app to be sure being up-to-date.
Way more easy but more pragmatic approach than the EASA one. The IEP is like the IRA test, but logically more focusing on regulations and Charts.
Then I passed an IPC with my instructor and met with a DPE for reviewing my IACRA application (in theory you can also go in person to an FSDO but good luck to get an appointment before 3 months).
I found the DPE through the search tool from the FAA website and after writing to 6 or 7 of them close to Orlando. Very nice guy, prompt to answer and very helpful to me for fulfilling the IACRA 8710-1 Form.
Now I have both EASA and FAA PPL + IR and can fly IR in Europe with a N-registered airplane, as well as in USA.
Flying in Florida was a great experience, and I was lucky because a hurricane came just after.
TIP-L is apparently not so common yet, but all went fine.

awair
2nd Sep 2023, 11:54
Congratulations. And thank you for confirming the process.