PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Traffic

dtr1966
17th Oct 2021, 09:30
Can anyone please illuminate me on how traffic works on Garmin G3x? Specifically, I was able to see the Rex aircraft taxiing and departing from YPLC yesterday morning, yet I cannot see the QLink inbound until it's just above me at November Delta.

Is this something that is specific to the aircraft or company; is it activated by the pilots specifically?

With all due respect, I did state on departure to the northeast that I would remain below 1500' and I had to climb 1000' higher, however I was still surprised at how close they were and yet they only lit up the on the traffic within the last few seconds, but I can see all the Y-reg aircraft within 100 miles (which is handy). A fault with the G3x, or can they opt out of being displayed?

drpixie
17th Oct 2021, 22:46
Hmmm... the G3X is just the display screen. The aircraft will have a bunch of LRUs (line replaceable units) doing the comms, AP, transponder, etc.
One of the LRUs will be a transponder/traffic/datalink, providing traffic info - if you want precise info, you'll need to know which other units are installed.

Squawk7700
17th Oct 2021, 23:20
Are you talking TCAS or ADSB here?

ahramin
18th Oct 2021, 06:02
It sounds like your aircraft is equipped with ADS-B IN & OUT and no ACAS. If so then you will only see other traffic if they are ADS-B equipped. As stated, has nothing to do with the G3X and completely dependent on what ACAS / ADS-B systems are installed.