PDA

View Full Version : Sky Glass - Worth it?

57mm
10th Oct 2021, 14:31
Looking at the ads for the new Sky Glass system, with no need for a dish and embedded sound bar and woofer, it certainly cuts down on the current wiring and external gadgetry required. However, since it streams everything, I wonder if current broadband speeds will be enough for 5he system to work smoothly. And will it be worth the expense?

Ancient Observer
10th Oct 2021, 16:10
I hate all the wires and boxes, so I might be tempted. But, given my experiences with "new" gadgets, I will be waiting for Release 2 or 3 by which time they might have sorted out all their snafus from release 1, before Sky get any more of my readies.

Specaircrew
26th Oct 2021, 20:28
Looking at the ads for the new Sky Glass system, with no need for a dish and embedded sound bar and woofer, it certainly cuts down on the current wiring and external gadgetry required. However, since it streams everything, I wonder if current broadband speeds will be enough for 5he system to work smoothly. And will it be worth the expense?

OK if you want to pay a lot of money to watch free TV and be miffed if your internet connection slows to a treacle I suppose. It's a bit like going back to the 70's where you rented a colour TV and they took it away if you stopped paying. It's far more cost effective to buy a smart TV (they have satellite and terrestrial tuners these days), from the huge range of choice out there, and pay a smaller sub to stream your Sky premium channels through the built in Now TV app....no extra box needed unless you want a soundbar.