PDA

View Full Version : ATPLs Passed... What next?

RedDragonFlyer
4th Oct 2021, 11:38
Hi all,
I've recently completed all 14 ATPL examinations. Of course, I was totally ecstatic as I got above 90% with all first time passes. However, given the year it's been, it doesn't feel so positive now. A lot of people I know in my situation are thinking of starting a CPL/IR course pretty soon. In fact the school I did my PPL at is fully booked for their CPL/IR course until May next year.; but, to me, it seems really premature as the industry in Europe is still not looking so good.
My current situation is PPL, NR, ATPL exams complete, and about 25 hours PIC. Everything done under EASA, but I am a dual-citizen so still have EU citizenship. My current thought is to now try to get a full-time job for the next 12-24 months and see how the market develops. Someone I know recommended doing the UK ATPLs to have both, but I really don't fancy doing that.
However, something in my heart is telling me to go for it though and not let the dream 'die'. I have enough cash in the bank to hour build and pay for the CPL/IR and an MCC-APS course and no debt/ mortgage to pay. I know I have until September 2024 to get an IR to keep my ATPLs valid.

I was wondering if anyone on here had any advice on the next steps?

Banana Joe
4th Oct 2021, 13:46
Well, you need to build your hours before you start your CPL course. Focus on it while you work, but remember that to take part in it you need to be qualified. And you just can't time the market.

CHfour
4th Oct 2021, 15:04
Too true about not being able to time the market. I'm recently retired but everyone thought I was mad doing my CPL training when there were no jobs. Things picked up just as I was qualifying and I got a job almost straight away and I was never out of work! Not very optimistic about future flying jobs tbh but, if it's your dream, go for it!

rudestuff
4th Oct 2021, 15:20
If you've only recently taken the exams - why didn't you take both sets? If it's possible I'd try to take the UK exams as well.

As for what to do next: you've done the hardest bit, it's all down hill from here, albeit expensive. Look at how many hours you have/need to get. Then plan the cheapest way to save those exams before the 36 months are up.

I'll save you the hassle: get an IR (via CBIR), then a single engine CPL. In that order. (You can do it the other way around if you like but it'll cost a lot more.)

milan.pilot
4th Oct 2021, 17:06
Save your money and resume your current job :-)

RedDragonFlyer
4th Oct 2021, 17:31
rudestuff

I started taking exams before the UK left EASA. I think we were all blindly hoping there'd be some sort of deal/ acceptance of EASA qualifications. It's a bit late now as I'd need to restudy and relearn a lot of stuff. I really don't fancy the cost and logistics of it either.

I get what people say about timing the market, but even a fantastic 2022 might not mean a great job market with so many qualifying recently as well as those experienced and still unemployed.

On building hours, my thought was to do it slowly, but surely to try to maintain skills. Maybe 25 more hours this year. There are means of hour building quickly if needed.

Banana Joe
4th Oct 2021, 18:33
Cadets will always have a place in the market. Like it or not, they are cheaper.

I am confident that aviation will start recovering and it will do so fast. And before somebody asks, I am not related to any training organization. It's just me looking at the glass half full.

rudestuff
5th Oct 2021, 12:25
RedDragonFlyer

It's like riding a bike! Skills can be maintained, but sometimes it's easier to let them fade and regain them, giving you more recency for testing etc. Don't worry about letting skills lapse...