PDA

View Full Version : Multi engine add on

johnhay2193
2nd Oct 2021, 05:33
I’m currently working on my single engine commercial rating, I’m still deciding if I will go multi-add on rating.

My question is, I plan to go to the airlines, but do I need a multi-engine rating before I can get my type rating?

Thank you.

awair
3rd Oct 2021, 01:47
Two separate questions involved here: employment processing and certification.

As a wild guess, I would suggest that no one will look at an application (except maybe ex-military) if you don't have some multi time. This is a common method of filtering, and possibly an insurance issue?

For an FAA Type Rating, if you don't already have MEL, this is added with the multi-engine type rating. You would however still need to meet the aeronautical experience requirement for the level of certificate (50 hours in class for ATP).

johnhay2193
3rd Oct 2021, 05:35
Hi sir thank you for your answer,

but it’s still not clear to me, so let’s say I’m a single engine rated pilot and I go get my type rating (but I don’t have a multi-engine rating). Let’s say I got my type rating, so I will also have a multi-engine rating after?

thank you again!

awair
3rd Oct 2021, 09:56
To clarify, this is under FAA rules.

For example, a B737 type rating also adds the MEL class rating, if not held already. The Type is seen as a sub-division of the Class. This is not how it is interpreted under EASA.

johnhay2193
5th Oct 2021, 01:48
So, for example I got my B737 type rating, can I also fly other multi-engine planes besides B737? Let’s say PA44 plane?

thank you again!

LG7838
21st Oct 2021, 01:54
A type rating is equipment specific.

rudestuff
21st Oct 2021, 07:17
So, for example I got my B737 type rating, can I also fly other multi-engine planes besides B737? Let’s say PA44 plane?

thank you again!
It all depends on which licence you have. FAA - yes. EASA - no. Others - maybe.

LTCTerry
13th Dec 2021, 18:20
1) You need 50 hours multiengine time for the ME ATP. Only 25 can be in a simulator. With your suggested plan you will have *no* ME time.

2) If you get a type rating w/o already having a ME rating, it's my understanding this will indeed add ME to your certificate *if* otherwise qualified. If you get your initial ME in a 737 simulator, no one will rent you their PA44 w/ no experience...

You could get a type rating on your private or commercial certificate w/o 50 hours ME time, but you can't get a ME ATP...

Go get a ME private or commercial add-on. Fly 40 hours. Do ATP-CTP and your type rating. With the written test passed your type rating can be your ATP checkride.