PDA

View Full Version : Kalitta Air Engine Fire

doublestory
1st Oct 2021, 08:12
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16296794/plane-bursts-into-flames-runway-airport/

krismiler
1st Oct 2021, 13:47
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10047869/747-cargo-jet-shoots-flames-lands-East-Midlands-airport-loud-bang.html

CaptainSandL
1st Oct 2021, 14:10
Looks like a surge/stall. Probably from the selection of reverse thrust on landing exacerbated by the crosswind.
Good video of the event here:
https://youtu.be/rPnXGgFGc3g

134brat
1st Oct 2021, 14:30
Tabloid rulebook, page 1, rule 1: Never let the truth get in the way of a dramatic headline.

treadigraph
1st Oct 2021, 14:37
Saw a BA 747-136 or 236 do that once while reverse thrust was deployed landing on 25 at Heathrow. No damage as far as I know, just a bit of lumiere....

FUMR
1st Oct 2021, 15:11
A slow day at the Daily mail I expect! At least the video paints a more realistic picture of the (non) event.

DuncanDoenitz
1st Oct 2021, 15:25
I see that the referred-to accident at Teesside occurred "inside the airport perimetre".

(Having reached 300 feet on the altimetre).

TowerDog
1st Oct 2021, 15:56
Yeah, compressor stall, had quite a few of those on the 747. :ooh:

Bergerie1
1st Oct 2021, 16:19
Engine surge in reverse - no big deal. Had it happen at JFK and was soon surrounded by emergency vehicles, a total overreaction. No damage whatsoever, the only evidence afterwards was a little soot around the engine.

anxiao
1st Oct 2021, 16:20
"A fire service spokesman said it had been caused by an issue with the aircraft's flaps." BBC

Look I respect you guys massively but I promise I will not comment on the operation state of your tenders if you don't comment on the operation of my aeroplane... :}

BWSBoy6
1st Oct 2021, 16:30
Plane bursts into flames? Really? Media at its most sensationalist. :rolleyes:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16296794/plane-bursts-into-flames-runway-airport/

Krystal n chips
1st Oct 2021, 17:14
The BBC has a more subdued report " a flicker of flame "..which is a bit of an understatement as seen on the photograph. As the aircraft was already on the ground, the Sun was clearly deprived of the usual histrionic criteria and had to make do .

East Midlands Airport: Plane inspected after flash of fire seen - BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-58765927)

Andrewgr2
1st Oct 2021, 17:18
BBC report says:
A fire service spokesman said it had been caused by an issue with the aircraft's flaps.
Really??

SpringHeeledJack
1st Oct 2021, 18:05
It's all clickbait and the still image provided was perfect in guiding the reader into thinking that an engine had exploded in some way. The YT video showed it for what it was and 'nothing to see here'.

almost professional
1st Oct 2021, 18:25
Reading between the lines of the various reports, my guess is some kind of emergency action was called before landing due to crew advising of flap issue - its what I would have done even if no emergency called. RFFS already on scene - and thus the statement issued. Surge due crosswind/ higher landing speed ?, will leave that to those with requisite experience!

Hadley Rille
1st Oct 2021, 21:37
BBC report says:
A fire service spokesman said it had been caused by an issue with the aircraft's flaps.
Really??
I suspect that was said tongue in cheek hoping it would be reported.
Remember the incident with the flux capacitor? :)

treadigraph
2nd Oct 2021, 05:27
According to ASN there was some form of minor issue with the flaps, the engine surge just gave the meeja something to get excited over. Shouldn't be surprised if the BBC reporter has reinterpreted the comments...

TWT
2nd Oct 2021, 11:53
Updated BBC story....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-58772718

Flames seen coming from the engine of a landing cargo plane were caused by an engine compressor stall

pax britanica
2nd Oct 2021, 12:26
Interesting how pictures and videos can differ, the first Pic I saw was really dramatic with a monstrous vivid red orange ball of flame . But it was probably only there for a fraction of a second before it was swallowed up in the rain and reverse thrust spray.

The media more than ever place impact over truth but there was no harm in showing the dramatic picture and they could have given it a sexy caption but then just added , this is what happens when a jet engine stalls but its momentary and a common occurrence that engine design can cope with. Given the internets ability to spread pictures around instantly I don think the 'non story/ nothing to see here' attitude is the right approach froma PR point of view , The still picture is dramatic and its much better to say hey this is a dramatic picture but its not really a big deal and a fairly regular occurrence.

I saw a couple of 747-100s have such events both on climb out from LHR in late 70s when I lived in Ashford , both P&W engine versions, the first one TWA was very dramatic against a dark cloud evening sky background , the second less so and of course I knew what it was.

TURIN
2nd Oct 2021, 15:12
Interesting how pictures and videos can differ, the first Pic I saw was really dramatic with a monstrous vivid red orange ball of flame . But it was probably only there for a fraction of a second before it was swallowed up in the rain and reverse thrust spray.

The media more than ever place impact over truth but there was no harm in showing the dramatic picture and they could have given it a sexy caption but then just added , this is what happens when a jet engine stalls but its momentary and a common occurrence that engine design can cope with. Given the internets ability to spread pictures around instantly I don think the 'non story/ nothing to see here' attitude is the right approach froma PR point of view , The still picture is dramatic and its much better to say hey this is a dramatic picture but its not really a big deal and a fairly regular occurrence.

I saw a couple of 747-100s have such events both on climb out from LHR in late 70s when I lived in Ashford , both P&W engine versions, the first one TWA was very dramatic against a dark cloud evening sky background , the second less so and of course I knew what it was.
The problem is that most people have no idea what it is, therefore when crummy journos produce garbage like this all it does is frighten the ignorant. . Which is not exactly good for our business.
I really hate the press by the way.

Airbanda
3rd Oct 2021, 20:20
The Mirror reported it as a botched landing but somehow conflated it with details of an entirely separate issue at Teesside.