PDA

View Full Version : Finding out flight details

tartare
1st Oct 2021, 05:42
RAF fast-jet people,
Prompted by another thread.
In 2000 I took a jolly in a Hawk through the Mach Loop.
Like an idiot, I've lost the slip of paper which the pilot gave me afterwards that had details to enter into my logbook.
All I have is what I recorded later - RAF Valley - Mach Loop - RAF Valley 1.0 total time.
Is there a record kept of each day's training sorties - i.e. who took what jet out, when and why?
If so, any pointers on how I might make enquiries.
All I want to find out is the aircraft serial to complete my entry.
I have video footage of the flight - a photo of me and the PIC in front of the jet afterwards, but serial is obscured.
I am happy to post the image here if it would help.

longer ron
1st Oct 2021, 05:58
If no other answers forthcoming....
A look at the pic might ID the Pilot who took you for the trip - if he is still around and if he still has his logbooks that would be the easiest way,although you would probably need to know the approx date of the flight perhaps.

rgds LR

tartare
1st Oct 2021, 06:07
I will post shortly.

tartare
1st Oct 2021, 06:43
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x904/hawk_flight_2c6e514accc9f5043ab35d06b1807ba987d4106e.jpg
That's the PIC on the right. All I remember is he was a Squadron leader - first name I think was Geraint - but then that's half of Wales isn't it! Number on tail seems to be 29 something. Not sure if you can tell which Squadron this jet is from? Callsign was Stampede 30 - I gather that's standard for training flights.

Double Hydco
1st Oct 2021, 07:02
Looks like “258” on the tail? In which case I’d imagine it’s XX258….

DH

tartare
1st Oct 2021, 07:11
I think you're right.
I've tried to zoom in on the Squadron crest on my arm - I wonder if it was with 25 Squadron - but kind of hard to work out given the moving and reforming of different squadrons.

tartare
2nd Oct 2021, 00:06
Pilot and jet identified.
Yours truly victory roll screen grabbed from the video - thank you all for your help.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1412x1002/screen_shot_2019_07_19_at_6_26_03_pm_fd3f36136d9b4345e4e450f 1f97a6a142a5e74c1.png

longer ron
2nd Oct 2021, 07:11
Glad you found out the info OK :)
The Hawk was a fun jet to fly :)

tartare
2nd Oct 2021, 08:24
Sure was Ron.
GH talked me through some aeros - and an attack on a bridge in the loop.
I was pretty ham fisted though - had flown the MB339 - but the Hawk wing loading was a lot lighter - very responsive!

Bob Viking
2nd Oct 2021, 08:30
It would appear that Stampede was a 74 Sqn call sign which was a Hawk unit a few years back.

I certainly don’t recall it on either 19 or 208 but my memory isn’t perfect!

At that time 25 would have been an F3 Sqn.

BV

longer ron
2nd Oct 2021, 09:23
I was pretty ham fisted though - had flown the MB339 - but the Hawk wing loading was a lot lighter - very responsive!

LOL - I was really ham fisted,I was (am) a glider pilot and I sure did tend to over control on the ailerons at first,I was a rigger on Hawks at Brawdy when they were first introduced for the weapons training role.From my old Log Book - my first Hawk trip was May 1978 with the much liked and respected John Thorpe.
In my defence I think the the aileron gearing was altered slightly when the 'High Speed Stop' was deleted from the U/C Bay at some stage fairly early on ??

tartare
2nd Oct 2021, 10:39
In steep descent asked if could fly a loop.
"Yes, sure" from the front seat "you have control."
"I have control."
And by grabbing a fistful of stick, promptly loaded us up with close to 5g - partial greyout in peripheral vision.
"Woaah - ease up," I was told.
I can only imagine what a real heavy iron fast jet must be like... something else!
Bob - there were some F3s on the hard stand as we pulled into a buzz and break.
I'll see if I can post the video.