PDA

View Full Version : Question about Experimental registration for Helicopters

Savannah_Hey
30th Sep 2021, 17:53
Hello everyone I am looking for a suggestion regarding registering as experimental with a helicopter.

I'm looking at purchasing a MD530F and would like to install an auxiliary fuel tank that does not have an STC, as a result of that the Aux fuel tank people say its not FAA approved.

Yet I see MD Themselves fly their aircraft with all kinds of non FAA approved modifications like weapon wings and when I look up the registration the airframes are registered as "Experimental"

Here's a few of these aircraft with all kinds of modifications that can not be FAA approved as examples: N369FF and N106HX, I'd post the links but I'm not allowed too.

I wanted to ask if registering my 530F as experimental could be a possible work around to having non STC cleared things installed like the Aux Fuel tank?

Thanks in Advance.
Savannah

Gordy
30th Sep 2021, 19:21
You can do it, but there are many limitations you need to abide by, basically you cannot operate it commercially anymore;

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.319

Savannah_Hey
30th Sep 2021, 19:25
You can do it, but there are many limitations you need to abide by, basically you cannot operate it commercially anymore;

Thank you! so If I'm just using this for personal use its not an issue to use stuff that doesn't have an STC? of course Im speaking of something that's designed for the 530F but it's usually in Military Little Birds.

thanks
Savannah

Gordy
30th Sep 2021, 20:17
You would need to apply for an experimental certificate, and on it they would specify what you can and cannot do. You may not be able to get insurance, there maybe restrictions on where you can fly, no fare paying passengers etc. And, it would have to go through a pretty intensive inspection program to be able to apply for a non-experimental certificate again, so say goodbye to selling it.

md 600 driver
30th Sep 2021, 20:21
You would need to apply for an experimental certificate, and on it they would specify what you can and cannot do. You may not be able to get insurance, there maybe restrictions on where you can fly, no fare paying passengers etc. And, it would have to go through a pretty intensive inspection program to be able to apply for a non-experimental certificate again, so say goodbye to selling it.

I had a enstrom turbine that had 2 airworthiness certificates one was standard car and the other was experimental can’t remember what the restrictions were

Savannah_Hey
30th Sep 2021, 20:23
Sound Great to me, I'm fully ready to do this as long as its do-able.

wrench1
30th Sep 2021, 20:59
I'm looking at purchasing a MD530F and would like to install an auxiliary fuel tank that does not have an STC, as a result of that the Aux fuel tank people say its not FAA approved.
Not all fuel tank installations require an STC. Some can be installed as a major alteration/field approval but without more specific information can’t offer any specific answers. What are the details of the tank? Is the tank for ferry flights or will it be considered a permanent installation? How will the tank be connected to the aircraft fuel system? Etc. Etc. Have you inquired with your APIA on this installation? Have installed a number of different fuels tanks, some STC’d and some not, so there are possibilities.

While pursuing a Special Experimental AWC will make the tank installation simple from a regulatory standpoint it will only cause you more headaches and restrictions given your stated mission. And whatever MD does with their aircraft falls under a different set of rules than from a Part 91 privately owned helicopter.

wrench1
1st Oct 2021, 01:18
Thanks in Advance. Savannah
PM box full..............

Savannah_Hey
1st Oct 2021, 01:21
Yeah It says 1 out of 1 which is very strange please email if you can

EXDAC
1st Oct 2021, 01:50
Yet I see MD Themselves fly their aircraft with all kinds of non FAA approved modifications like weapon wings and when I look up the registration the airframes are registered as "Experimental"

Here's a few of these aircraft with all kinds of modifications that can not be FAA approved as examples: N369FF and N106HX, I'd post the links but I'm not allowed too.

"Experimental" is only part of the airworthiness certification. E.g. N369FF is registered experimental, research and development. See 14 CFR § 21.191 for a complete list. Which of these experimental uses would be applicable in your case?

If you want to dig a bit deeper FAA Order 8130.2 may be an interesting read.

Savannah_Hey
1st Oct 2021, 01:55
"Experimental" is only part of the airworthiness certification. E.g. N369FF is registered experimental, research and development. See 14 CFR § 21.191 for a complete list. Which of these experimental uses would be applicable in your case?

If you want to dig a bit deeper FAA Order 8130.2 may be an interesting read.

Very Interesting thank you very much that does help me understand things a bit more, I suppose I could register under R&D or motion picture use. I could see a 530 set up like this being used for movies.