3db
27th Sep 2021, 12:15
Just in case its of interest:
https://auctions.ramco.uk/auctions/7958/ramco-10314
Modest opening bid as well.

DaveReidUK
27th Sep 2021, 18:11
Looks in reasonably good nick:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x480/640px_meteor_ws726_1855_squadron_atc_5824557706__9c86ea0cd95 94f4a9b55c3d8a6d44c229782ebc7.jpg

Photo from about 10 years ago, just after being repainted from its original grey/dayglo scheme.

A bit more tatty nowadays, per Streetview, but nothing that a quick respray wouldn't fix.

Jhieminga
27th Sep 2021, 19:03
Having followed the thread about WS788's restoration (still ongoing) at Elvington, I have a feeling that there may well be some nastiness underneath the paint....

Brewster Buffalo
27th Sep 2021, 19:43
Subject of an earlier post in 2006
The cadets of 1855 (Royton) Sqn Air Training Corps are restoring and researching the above aircraft, their gate guard since 1967. They are interested in any photos that may exist and recollections from people who had any dealings with the aircraft during its service life from 1954 to 1965 whilst it served with 25 squadron and 1 & 2 Air navigations Schools Many thanks

So its been there for 54 years!

stevef
27th Sep 2021, 19:57
Having followed the thread about WS788's restoration (still ongoing) at Elvington, I have a feeling that there may well be some nastiness underneath the paint....

I hate to agree but I've spent a lot of time around old aircraft and the cosmetics inevitably cover a nightmare of exfoliated structural forgings. There's no economical solution unfortunately, especially when enthusiastic restorers have gone the wrong way about removing corrosion.

Brewster Buffalo
28th Sep 2021, 07:28
Not looking so good in these two photos taken 2019...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/erwinalexander/33190393708/in/photostream/

DaveReidUK
28th Sep 2021, 08:13
It's unclear who a prospective purchaser might be, but it's safe to assume that whoever buys it doesn't plan to restore it to airworthy condition (I suspect it might actually be engineless).

So the condition of the paintwork and, up to a point, any surface corrosion probably isn't going to make much difference to the price achieved. As alluded to earlier, preserved NF.14s are ten-a-penny in the UK, which might explain why it's taken the RAF so long to get around to disposing of it.

ATC units with their own airframes are becoming increasingly rare - a few years ago, I used to take my grandson to a soft play located next door to Tolworth ATC Squadron in SW London, who had their own Harrier (must have pulled a few strings!). But it has now gone, sold to a collection in the USA.

tdracer
28th Sep 2021, 18:41
Back in the mid 1980's, I was on trip to Houston so stopped by the Johnson Space Center which had one of the three remaining Saturn V's on display outside. Being a space nerd, I spent a solid hour checking out the Saturn. When you got up close, the amount and severity of the corrosion apparent under the paint was simply shocking. That was only ~15 years since it had been flight worthy. I shutter to think what aluminum structure would be like after being outside - unmaintained - for over 50 years.
BTW, a few years after I saw that Saturn V, it was restored and moved into an indoor facility where it remains today (although I haven't been back to Houston to see it since). I donated a some money to the fundraising to pay for the restoration.

ATR43
28th Sep 2021, 20:29
If it was being sold by the MOD, surely its disposal would be handled by Defence Sales Agency

DaveReidUK
28th Sep 2021, 21:27
If it was being sold by the MOD, surely its disposal would be handled by Defence Sales Agency

Evidently not.

The seller/auctioneer is Ramco (see post #1). They sell surplus equipment on behalf of the MoD.

3db
29th Sep 2021, 00:20
Ramco sell surplus Government stock, as well as commercial disposal of overstock/failed companies inventories.

N707ZS
1st Oct 2021, 06:44
Might be hard to find some undercarriage if you want it off those steel legs.