PDA

View Full Version : The H-1 flies again!

I. M. Esperto
22nd Aug 2002, 15:22
http://www.wrightools.com/hughes/default.htm
The H-1 flies again!

At approximately 7:15 AM, July 9, 2002, the Wright built Hughes H-1B, serial #2 overcame the forces of gravity that bound it to Earth and became airborne. The dream of one man became a reality because of the hard work, dedication and perseverance of a talented team of individuals.

Lu Zuckerman
22nd Aug 2002, 16:58
When I was working as a consultant at Hughes Helicopters on the YAH-64 Apache I along with several others in our department were taken into a seldom used storage building. When we entered the building and they turned on the lights they walked us over to a large form covered in canvas. When they pulled the canvas aside we got our first glimpse of the Hughes Racer. Sitting next to it was a full-scale solid mahogany lines model of the OH-6. There were several other artifacts of Howard Hughes but they didn’t allow us to explore them. In the experimental machine shop there was a large form on an elevated platform. I asked what it was and the shop foreman took me up the steps and we walked through a door. The room was in fact the cockpit interior of the Spruce Goose. From the viewing angle from the shop floor it was difficult to make out the shape of the mock-up.

:cool: