PDA

View Full Version : Absent From Flying for 1.5 Years?

Getting There
20th Jan 2001, 06:58
Dear Aviators

I have been absent from flying for about 18 months for a variety of personal reasons. I am in the process of getting myself current again. I have approx 1600hrs TT and are completing my JAA subjects in line to getting a frozen ATP. My question to you all is How do you think the Airlines will view this absence? Anyone who has been or know of others in similar situations what was your or there experience in finding work afterwards, ie was it a problem?? I am particular interested in the Europe scene if that’s any different to the rest of the world.

Any comments from those in Recruitment positions and or Management would be greatly appreciated also.

Cheers

scroggs
21st Jan 2001, 03:44
GT
Most airlines will be primarily interested in your qualifications and your currency. As long as those two items are in order, a previous hiatus in your experience should be ok. However, if there are medical or psychological reasons involved, you will need explicit confirmation from the CAA medical branch that you are now fit and unrestricted. If you have that, again there should be no problem. If your reason was financial, or your family needed your direct support, or something similar, you'll get every sympathy.
Basically, if there's a good, honest and demonstrable reason for it, and you're now current, licenced and fit, no problem!

Getting There
21st Jan 2001, 09:48
Thanx Scroggs

No wasn’t due to any medical, psycho or illegal reasons for the absence just purely personal. I don’t think it would be a problem also but my concern was that my flying skills would have become somewhat rusty, and wasn’t sure how that would be percieved. It is what they say like ridding a bike you pretty much get straight into it. Thanks again

Cheers GT

A Very Civil Pilot
21st Jan 2001, 16:41
I was out for 2 years, and I'm now a turbo f/o. Don't worry, there's alot of people that have to find something else to do in order to pay the bills