PDA

View Full Version : Pressure breathing

Genghis the Engineer
17th Sep 2021, 12:26
I'm too many years out of the military game to have access to current information "in-house", but would find it handy to know what the current state of the art, if there is one, looks like for high altitude aircraft pressure breathing systems.

Is anybody able to point me at any accessible documents, or tell me the general arrangement and numbers (pressure, flow, etc.) of current pressure breathing systems, and what they're being used on?

G

2Planks
17th Sep 2021, 19:26
If you put AP3456 Volume 6 Aviation Medicine into your favourite search engine it may well be in there. You can download it as a PDF, but my small phone would probably explode with the size of the doc, so I can't check for you!

Genghis the Engineer
20th Sep 2021, 21:55
Thanks, I've got AP3456 and will have a look. I forgot that it has a medicine volume.

G

BEagle
20th Sep 2021, 22:22
Oh the joys of AMTC and 2 minutes at 30mm Hg every so often before chamber runs....

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Sep 2021, 21:51
Thanks again 2Planks, I've got a reasonably recent copy of AP3456, and it indeed is extremely thorough. Good call.

G

2Planks
23rd Sep 2021, 08:41
Thanks Genghis, love it when a plan comes together!

Beags, All I remember of AMTC was a Stamford curry and Ruddles County

ex-fast-jets
23rd Sep 2021, 09:17
2Planks...............

And I bet the rest of your course in the decompression chamber remember it just as well!!

BEagle
23rd Sep 2021, 11:32
Stamford curry and Ruddles County was indeed de rigeur!

The poor docs who went into the chamber with us must have had to suffer over and over again, because every course did the Ruddles and curry session!

ex-fast-jets
23rd Sep 2021, 13:31
Sympathy for Doctors................???

Amazing...............!!

CISTRS
27th Sep 2021, 10:35
Stamford curry and Ruddles County plus high altitude = explosive decompression.

ExAscoteer2
27th Sep 2021, 15:02
ISTR going to Oakham for curry and a few pints of 'Riddles Faintly Peculiar'...

gums
27th Sep 2021, 20:52
Salute!

Hope the pressure oxy system doesn't become an excuse for some future accidents, The new systens for the F-22 and F-35 seem to be overkill to this old fart.

Ask about A-4 and F-101B and F-106 and other jets.. We had constant pressure with the nose hose, and no big deal. The planes were supposed to fly way high, and pressure suits were on the kit,. Tink the F-104 was same, and maybe the Lightning.

Only thing my bride and I suffered was the delay ear block and we soon learned to val salva in our sleep!

I only ran into the pressure breathing is another plane besides the VooDoo, and it was the A-37. It had the diluter-demand regulator like the trainer. We routinely came home at 25K on one engine and the system had positive pressure from about 22k on up. If we went up to 30k for optimum single engine cruise, the pressure was very constant and no big deal.

Gums sends...