PDA

View Full Version : Beech D-18 G-BKGL accident Bastia 14.09.2021

FUMR
16th Sep 2021, 14:36
I'm not allowed to post URLs yet.

Jetstream67
16th Sep 2021, 14:49
I'm not allowed to post URLs yet.
https://stampa-paese.com/faits-divers/article/crash-dun-bimoteur-vescovato-3-occupants-dont-2-en-urgence-absolue

FUMR
16th Sep 2021, 18:26
Thank you Jetstream 67.

I note that apparently it had landed there following an engine failure (or problem). Repairs were made and it crashed shortly after take off.

DaveReidUK
16th Sep 2021, 18:44
Nasty business - two of the three on board hospitalised with serious burns.

Bill Harris
16th Sep 2021, 20:59
And for those of us with rusty French:
https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-beechcraft-3nmt-expeditor-bastia

Waltzer
24th Apr 2023, 13:09
French report in English. Woefully short on detail and doesn’t tell the whole story.

https://bea.aero/en/investigation-reports/notified-events/detail/accident-to-the-beech-18-registered-g-bkgl-on-14-09-2021-at-vescovato/

Jhieminga
24th Apr 2023, 13:45
The report is not as extensive as it could be, but the investigation must have been limited by the condition of the wreckage and the absense of any further data from the airframe, such as is recorded on modern airliners. The only significant thing that strikes me from a cursory reading of that report is that the passenger and pilot had come to a limited and undefined crew concept in which some tasks were delegated, but without a clear procedure. Within this... the passenger states that he 'shut down the engine' when asked (which the pilot doesn't remember) but what if he shut down the wrong engine? Also, the props were apparently both rotating at time of impact, but the right prop was supposedly feathered. That's another inconsistency.

Anyway, my conclusion is that it pays to have a clear plan and division of duties, even in what is supposed to be just a quick check flight. But then, I don't know the whole story.

Waltzer
24th Apr 2023, 17:15
Which report contains the passenger’s statement about shutting down engines?

No AAIB report either.

DaveReidUK
24th Apr 2023, 18:13
Which report contains the passenger’s statement about shutting down engines?

No AAIB report either.

There would be no reason to expect one, any more than there would be for the BEA to report on an accident in the UK.

Waltzer
24th Apr 2023, 19:00
Correct.
ICAO Annex 13 states:
Besides the State of Occurrence, Annex 13 also identifies the additional States which are entitled to appoint an accredited representative.
- The State of Registry

it also goes on to say:
Additionally, a State which has a special interest in an accident, for example by virtue of the number of its citizens involved in or impacted by it, is also entitled to appoint an expert to the accident investigation. These special interest State experts are entitled to:

visit the scene of the accident;
have access to the factual information released by the State in charge;
receive a copy of the accident investigation Final Report

Seeing as 3 British citizens were injured, 2 very seriously, it’s odd that AAIB took no interest.

When the UK authorities investigate they will find a can of worms.

Jhieminga
24th Apr 2023, 20:08
ICAO Annex 13 is indeed applicable, but the goal is the prevention of accidents and the number of airworthy Beech 18s on the British register is not very high. In this case I guess the AAIB will accept the investigation results from their capable colleagues from France.

Chapter 2.5 in the final report (see link above) contains the statements.

DaveReidUK
24th Apr 2023, 20:34
Correct.
ICAO Annex 13 states:
Besides the State of Occurrence, Annex 13 also identifies the additional States which are entitled to appoint an accredited representative.
- The State of Registry

it also goes on to say:
Additionally, a State which has a special interest in an accident, for example by virtue of the number of its citizens involved in or impacted by it, is also entitled to appoint an expert to the accident investigation. These special interest State experts are entitled to:

visit the scene of the accident;
have access to the factual information released by the State in charge;
receive a copy of the accident investigation Final Report

Seeing as 3 British citizens were injured, 2 very seriously, it’s odd that AAIB took no interest.

Do we know for sure that the AAIB had no involvement? Annex 13 does not require an investigation report to identify all the accredited parties.

Equivocal
24th Apr 2023, 21:04

​​​​​​Do we know for sure that the AAIB had no involvement? Annex 13 does not require an investigation report to identify all the accredited parties.​
And AAIB is not the State. I suspect there would have to be very serious concerns about the investigation for the AAIB to be able to convince a State-level intervention.

DaveReidUK
24th Apr 2023, 21:25
And AAIB is not the State. I suspect there would have to be very serious concerns about the investigation for the AAIB to be able to convince a State-level intervention.

I think you misunderstand Annex 13. Were someone from the AAIB (or any other AIB) to be accredited, it would be on behalf of the relevant State:

"Accredited representative: A person designated by a State, on the basis of his or her qualifications, for the purpose of participating in an investigation conducted by another State. Where the State has established an accident investigation authority, the designated accredited representative would normally be from that authority."