PDA

View Full Version : JAA Exam Passes - Distance Learning

MixtureToRich
12th Mar 2001, 14:19
To Fellow Ppruners,

I am currently a few weeks into the PPSC correspondance course. Having read many threads on the pros and cons of distance learning, I would be interested to hear how people have actually faired with the JAA exams. How many passes first time ? How many hours a week for study ? And is the 315 hours quoted for Module 1 enough ?

I am currently coming to the end of Radio Theory (Thank God), but seem to be a bit worried about some of the information that will need to be retained for the exams that seem so far off

Any views of people that have actually done it would be most welcome

Regards

nicair
12th Mar 2001, 14:25
I studied by distance learning with Oxford last year, it is hard work when you are also working full time but it can be done. I passed them all first time in May and November of last year. The study times look similar to the Oxford course but it is the amount of revision that will make the difference. Good Luck.

MixtureToRich
12th Mar 2001, 15:15
Thanks for that nicair,

I'm too working full time, and managing 3/4 hours a day. The PPSC consolidation course ends 4 days before the exams, so time for revision would seem to be limited, apart from when on the course. How does this compare with oxford

Cheers
MixtureToRich

Superfly
12th Mar 2001, 22:12
Very nice to ear that this is manageable while working full time. Niceair , How long did you have to do your revisions ? Happy landings, Superfly

foghorn
13th Mar 2001, 03:21
Started at Four Forces May 2000
Seven Nav exams passed first time October 2000
Techs due in May

Do not underestimate the amount of work necessary for distance learning whilst holding down a full time job. Basically it's a whole year when it will feel like you have done nothing except constantly read textbooks and work.

Looking forward to reading things that are not related to flying... Even the most obsessed aviation nut needs a break eventually :) We all know that it's worth it, though...

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 12 March 2001).]

EggBeta
13th Mar 2001, 06:46
mixture to rich,

I did the OATS virtual college, distance learning module, got thru the first 19 sections doing 20-30hrs week as well as a full time job, also got a wife with two kids. Gotta be honest, got to much, asked myself will I pass first time on all the papers and decided the answer was no, altho I had passed all my papers up to that point with the exception of performance.
I am over in california, so getting hold of a tutor with an 8 hour time differnec was hard.
In all honesty, I would say, if you are in the UK, single, with a 9.30am to 4.30pm job, passing first time can be done, but its on hell of a mountain to climb.....thing is once you get to the top of the mountain you get to fly down!

nicair
13th Mar 2001, 17:09
Superfly, I was lucky and had two weeks after each consolidation course however I believe this has now changed and you go straight into the exams the week after.
Foghorn, I agree with you 100% The workload is heavy and balancing work friends family was very stressful. but as you say well worth it.
EggBeta I understand the family and time zone problems, but I am not single and if I tried working 9.30-4.30 I'd be sacked, I (for the next few weeks only) hold a senior management position in a large Retail Company which trades 24hrs I work 50-60 hours a week including shifts and nights. I have had to replan my timescales several times and finished two months later than originally planned, the beauty of distance learning is the flexibility.
Good luck happy flying.

Superfly
13th Mar 2001, 19:36
Nicair,

Thanks for the answer, Yes you're wright the exams are a week after the brush-up course, seems a bit short to me. I can book the exams for the following month anyway > would you recommand so ? Or is it better not to wait too much and go straight after the brush-up course ?

Thanks in advance and happy landings, Superfly

Flandan
14th Mar 2001, 14:51
Balancing study with all the other stuff in your life, like work, family and friends, is a real struggle, but it is possible. I've got a wife and kid and a pretty demanding day job, but I managed, with the Oxford distance learning course, to pass six out of the seven nav papers in February, just missing the seventh by 1%.

Unfortuntately failed three of the tech papers, but that was back in the bad old days of the first JAR exams last year and I hope to get them all in the bag when I finally resit next month.

If the OATS distance learning system wasn't so flexible, I'd never have got anywhere. I've constantly had to change groundschool and exam dates due to work or family commitments, but grim determination to finish is what keeps you going.

Superfly. Personally, I've always needed a few weeks after the groundschool to go over all the material again, but others might find it better going straight into the exams. Think a lot of it depends on how prepared you are before the groundschool. If you know the stuff inside out, then the groundschool should really just be fine tuning ahead of the exams. I wasn't up to speed as much as I'd like to have been before my last groundschool at OATS, so decided to wait a month before doing the exam. That give me the opportunity to take full advantage of the excellent exam feedback we got whilst at OATS and work on any problem areas. You can never be fully prepared for these damn exams, but you'll probably know yourself if you're ready.

Best of luck to any other long suffering distance learners!

Low_and_Slow
15th Mar 2001, 00:22
As an aside, can any of you DL people recomend a good english language text on aviation meteorology. All help appreciated.

-me

READY MESSAGE
16th Mar 2001, 01:08
Best Met book I have come across is 'Meteorology for Pilots' by Mike Wickson. All relevant info is in there and easy to read