PDA

View Full Version : Need an app list for a new pilot

MidnightPilot
1st Sep 2021, 11:24
A young friend is going to start training to become a pilot. I have an extra iPad that I want to donate to help the process

What would be a good list of inexpensive or free apps and tools to help?

(training will be in the USA)

I'm looking for apps that:
Prep the written test with questions and answers
Can access all of the FAA docs including FAR's Advisory Circulars, PTS's etc.

I'm old, so I used the big red Gleim books and paper FAR's. My knowledge of modern training aids is a little lacking.

Thanks

MP

LTCTerry
1st Sep 2021, 14:29
I like Windy and NavMonster for weather information. FltPlan.com and matching app are free flight planning aides. I would encourage "real" flight planning on nav charts w/ old school methods initially so vital concepts are taught/learned before jumping into "direct-enter" GPS navigation.

"PTS" is now ACS - Airman Certification Standards - much more in depth/detailed than PTS.

All the pubs can be downloaded for free, though I would suggest getting the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (a new version is out this month!) and the Airplane Flying Handbook as actual printed books - nicer to read.

It's worth putting all the ACS references on the iPad.

ASA's printed version of FAR/AIM has a suggested list of what contents/topics various levels of pilots should be familiar with. Buy a 2022 version when it comes out and the use the list to put tabs in the right places. (There are companies that sell preprinted tabs, but that seems like a bit of overkill to me.)

A FAR/AIM cost-saving alternative is to get the ASA list and simply print the recommended sections then put them in a binder.

As an instructor, I typically let students know early on there's an FAA policy/guide we follow, but I wait until they have some experience before inflicting that huge document full of cryptic vocabulary on them! The Private Pilot ACS includes ASEL, ASES, AMEL, and AMES in it, so there's lots of surplus pages/sections that should be removed with some guidance from an instructor.

I find the "spaced repetition method" of self study useful. There are lots of online flashcards. I did a copy/paste from them and made a MS Word document sized for 3x5" index cards and fired up my laser printer - I made hundreds of two-sided flash cards for Commercial, MEI, CFI, and CFII. Worked well for me.

ASA offers a printed "Private Pilot Oral Prep Guide." Probably 90% of this material comes from PHAK, AFH, and FAR/AIM. I've found it useful to use the study guide and go into the pubs and mark the answer with a highlighter. This all becomes useful as study material for the Knowledge Test and the oral portion of the check ride.

Hope this helps!

MidnightPilot
2nd Sep 2021, 02:54
Where can you download these publications?
Whenever I search, it's a jumble of mixed locations and shady downloads. I'd prefer to keep this all legal.

They're all on PDF?

PTS now ACS. Yeah I learned that before, old habits die hard I guess.

eagleflyer
7th Sep 2021, 17:44
A young friend is going to start training to become a pilot. I have an extra iPad that I want to donate to help the process

What would be a good list of inexpensive or free apps and tools to help?

(training will be in the USA)

I'm looking for apps that:
Prep the written test with questions and answers
Can access all of the FAA docs including FAR's Advisory Circulars, PTS's etc.

I'm old, so I used the big red Gleim books and paper FAR's. My knowledge of modern training aids is a little lacking.

Thanks

MP
It´s not for free, but FOREFLIGHT is my recommendation. You will have all the sectionals as a moving map (we´re in the 21st century after all), FAR-AIM, essentially the whole A F/D. You can also download the ACS, Pilot handbooks etc directly through the app, for free.

PDMG
1st Oct 2021, 07:56
I would recommend shepherd air prep for exam studying past PPL. Foreflight for sure as another has already mentioned. I also recommend buying the actual FAA publications every now and then, Pilots Guide etc. FARAIM - well my opinion is having an up to date printed copy tabbed for any check ride oral is a time saver and shows the DPE you have prepared somewhat. Yes you can get them for free digitally from the FAA website but its a good thing to have on the bookshelf to thumb through from time to time. I tend to buy new versions when a major update has happened and then use the old ones for student use or lesson plan creations.