PDA

View Full Version : Vigil

oldbeefer
30th Aug 2021, 09:14
Watched the new drama on Beeb last night. Anyone know anything about the Seaking used in this episode?

roundwego
30th Aug 2021, 10:16
Military Reg XZ597. Now registered as G SKNG. Full details can be found at CAA GINFO website.

More info here Historic Helicopters - Welcome To Historic Helicopters (http://www.historichelicopters.com/Pages/1/Home.html)

Some fairly basic stickers on the side of the aircraft to convert it from RAF to Royal Navy. One would think the producers could have made more of an effort.

30th Aug 2021, 10:41
Apparently they were told it was the wrong colour but chose to ignore it - after all, yellow is much more photogenic than boring grey and red:)

oldbeefer
30th Aug 2021, 10:49
Apparently they were told it was the wrong colour b
ut chose to ignore it - after all, yellow is much more photogenic than boring grey and red:)

thanks Crab. I thought you’d know.

ShyTorque
30th Aug 2021, 12:10
Another glaring error was the shot looking upwards in the water, towards the surface, after the trawler was being dragged down stern first by the fishing gear cable.

Somehow, the fishermen, who were being washed towards the bow while it was still on the surface, ended up sinking well ahead of the trawler.

highflyer40
30th Aug 2021, 12:42
It also has to be the rolls Royce of submarines. Didn’t know the RN bought the luxury upgrade. The amount of space is absurd

Beamr
30th Aug 2021, 13:29
There was a guy in the 70's that made a camper out of an S-58. Flew it to remote areas in North America for his personal fly fishing trips. Had a little fold out awning and patio. Had sleeping amenities, portable stove, fold away storage, etc.. Amazing. Was featured in Flying Magazine I think. Just him and his wifey. Best damn Idea yet.
you mean the Winnebago version, or did someone make his own?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRlQrN8RAY

Dave B
30th Aug 2021, 15:37
Such glaring errors as using a Yellow Helicopter in a series about the RN, spoil a good series. When I was working at Redhill, Two S76s were painted to look like SAS machines, the black paint used was a type that washed off easily, the cost must have been minimal for a film company.

chopper2004
30th Aug 2021, 16:39
Such glaring errors as using a Yellow Helicopter in a series about the RN, spoil a good series. When I was working at Redhill, Two S76s were painted to look like SAS machines, the black paint used was a type that washed off easily, the cost must have been minimal for a film company.

The Fourth Protocol …the pair of 76 flew under the Orwell bridge with the SAS Team to join SiS operative, John Preston (MIchael Caine).

cheers

Shackeng
30th Aug 2021, 17:57
It also has to be the rolls Royce of submarines. Didn’t know the RN bought the luxury upgrade. The amount of space is absurd

Come on guys, allow them a little dramatic leeway. The producer was interviewed on Radio4 today and explained the space. A sub officer also interviewed was quite happy with it.

OvertHawk
30th Aug 2021, 20:33
Come on guys, allow them a little dramatic leeway. The producer was interviewed on Radio4 today and explained the space. A sub officer also interviewed was quite happy with it.

It's a Military Drama - This lot would be massively disappointed if they could not spend hours picking holes in it!!!!! Let them get on with it - it will keep them out of Matron's hair until it's time for Cocoa and bed! ;)

212man
31st Aug 2021, 09:23
I can't watch it from my current location, so can't see what is being portrayed. Modern Nuclear submarines are pretty big though - especially the US ones - and certainly not Oberon class, or Das Boot.

I gather this is the same class as shown in the TV program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01HTzhaxh1M

melmothtw
31st Aug 2021, 09:27
Regarding the Sea King, I think it's about time that TV/Film production engineers find a sound other than a Huey when dubbing in helicopter noise.

CBSITCB
31st Aug 2021, 13:52
I can't watch it from my current location, so can't see what is being portrayed. Modern Nuclear submarines are pretty big though

But stretching the aspect ratio to make the spaces look wider is cheating!

Mitchaa
31st Aug 2021, 14:14
Such glaring errors as using a Yellow Helicopter in a series about the RN, spoil a good series..

Only picked up on by those in rotary aviation though which I suspect is less than 0.001% of their audience. What’s the point in getting something 100% accurate to please such a minority share of the audience?

Casualty has been on the BBC for 35yrs, there are nurses and doctors up and down the country that will week in, week out say, that’s wrong, this is wrong, doesn’t work like that, would never happen like that etc.

It’s just a TV drama, people that are picking up the wrong colours of helicopter on display are being a little pernickety, no? I very much doubt the producers had helicopter spotters in mind ;)

Peter G-W
31st Aug 2021, 14:56
I’m sure the helicopter crew broadcast the lat and long of the secret rendezvous with the sub.

bobward
1st Sep 2021, 14:01
'The willing suspension of disbelief' doesn't seem to apply here, does it?