PDA

View Full Version : Low Flying Rule?

Aneas
28th Aug 2021, 08:43
How was this flight in any way legal given that Headingley is in the middle of a huge built-up area?
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/27/slow-burning-day-that-helped-reassure-test-crickets-future-is-safe

ShyTorque
28th Aug 2021, 08:51
What makes you think it wasn't legal?

Aneas
28th Aug 2021, 09:01
I seem to recall something about being able to be at such an altitude so as to glide clear in event of engine failure. Given that parks and roads in built up areas are not considered safe landing area and the fact he was towing a banner, he was far too low. Even the banner accidentally releasing would prove quite a hazard as the lead pole is usually substantial.
Even the 'fly spraying' that used to be over Arab cities required a twin aircraft

TURIN
28th Aug 2021, 09:19
Low flyingIn general, except when necessary for take-off or landing, an aircraft should be 1,000 ft over a built-up area or otherwise 500ft from people, vehicles, vessels and structures.

From the UK CAA Website.

It is difficult to know, just from that photo, if regulations were breached.

Aneas
28th Aug 2021, 09:32
"(d) The land clear rule
An aircraft flying over a congested area of a city town or settlement shall not fly below such height as will permit, in the event of a power unit failure, the aircraft to land clear of the congested area."
There are exceptions for VFR routes. landing/takeoff, etc. But I can see no exceptions for banner towing!

FUMR
28th Aug 2021, 10:04
At a guess it's no lower than 1500ft above ground. I don't know what the gliding range of a Cub is but I can see a suitable field 1.25nm to the west.

swh
28th Aug 2021, 11:44
"(d) The land clear rule
An aircraft flying over a congested area of a city town or settlement shall not fly below such height as will permit, in the event of a power unit failure, the aircraft to land clear of the congested area."
There are exceptions for VFR routes. landing/takeoff, etc. But I can see no exceptions for banner towing!

The banner would be released, that rule does not say the aircraft and banner.

OutsideCAS
28th Aug 2021, 12:16
If your as concerned as it seems Aneas, why not make a report?;

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Make-a-report-or-complaint/Report-a-potential-breach-of-aviation-law/

Peter Fanelli
28th Aug 2021, 18:46
Banner towing would be a commercial operation and the operator probably has a dispensation or Certificate of Waiver to do so.

You can break pretty much any rule as long as you ask permission and get approval to do so and have the paperwork to back it up.