PDA

View Full Version : Museum in Norther Ireland

PAXboy
22nd Aug 2021, 18:06
The plane ejector seat has saved more than 7,600 lives to date.
BBC Video coverage (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-58274204)

Video journalist: Niall McCracken
It was invented in 1944 by an engineer from Northern Ireland.

James Martin from Crossgar in County Down, began working on the seat after his friend and business partner, Valentine Baker, died in a plane accident.

Now the ejection seat by the Martin-Baker aircraft company has become a standard part of aircraft and pilot safety around the world.

A new exhibition at the Ulster Transport Museum is showcasing rare archive footage of the ejector seat being tested. as well as early prototypes of the seat.

The Museum of Innovation is a permanent exhibition recognising pioneers from Northern Ireland who pushed the boundaries of engineering.

NWSRG
22nd Aug 2021, 19:30
The Ulster Transport Museum is a great place to spend an afternoon...my 9 year old daughter loves it, and we're hoping to be there this week some day, before school starts again.

The Martin-Baker facility at Langford Lodge (close to Aldergrove / Belfast International) is still active (AFAIK). They have a mile-long rocket sled run there, which was used to test the seats. We have some interesting aviation history in this part of the world...

barry lloyd
22nd Aug 2021, 20:08
I would be more inclined to read these posts if only the OP checked the for typos before posting it. When people cannot even be bothered to check the title of their post, I cannot be bothered to read it.

NWSRG
22nd Aug 2021, 23:49
I would be more inclined to read these posts if only the OP checked the for typos before posting it. When people cannot even be bothered to check the title of their post, I cannot be bothered to read it.

Barry, there might just be a typo in your response...stones and glass houses come to mind.

dixi188
23rd Aug 2021, 00:39
But you did read it.
I've not been for about 10 years, but well worth a visit.

DaveReidUK
23rd Aug 2021, 06:19
Barry, there might just be a typo in your response...stones and glass houses come to mind.

Yes, it's so easy to miss the last lette from a word. :O

NWSRG
23rd Aug 2021, 15:38
Yes, it's so easy to miss the last lette from a word. :O

:} Love it Dave!

On the Northern Ireland topic, the Ulster Aviation Society have a superb collection at the old Long Kesh (Maze Prison) site. It's generally not open to the public, but visits can be made by appointment. Latest addition is a Tornado, to join the Phantom and Buccaneer already there. Lots more besides, and a super Cold War ROC museum too. Well worth it if you get a chance to visit.

https://www.ulsteraviationsociety.org/