PDA

View Full Version : Modular Heroes

AirScream
20th Jan 2001, 02:38
How do people on the modular route to ATPL manage it? The whole idea of the modular course is so that you can keep on earning in some pi$$-ant job whilst nibbling away at the Exams-CPL-IR, RIGHT?!

Well how are people managing in practice to carry out the 4 week+ CPL and 5week IR when its hard enough getting a fortnight off at a time. I assume that you just tackle it 2 weeks at a time? Doesn't this lack of continuity wreak havoc? Is anyone taking a CPL course just at weekends??
Heres another observation:
ATPL by correspondence requires 2 x 2week attendances + 4 days exams - Not totally distance learning is it?!. Why the need for attendance? Surely if I fail thats my own stupid £700 lesson isn't it!

Well thats this years holiday entitlement gone, must let Mrs Airscream know the good news!!

Good on you - you Modular Heroes ;)

Riccarton
20th Jan 2001, 03:05
I'm following the modular route - currently doing the ATPL groundschool full-time - and like most others, I've given up the day job and am living on borrowed money. It makes me very uneasy when I think about the risk I'm taking but if it all goes disastrously wrong and I fail miserably, I'll sell the house, pay off the debts and start again in the real world on the meagre amount I'll have left over. My situation is fairly precarious but compared to some, I'm lucky still to have a house. For the majority of wannabes there just isn't an easy way to do it.

AirScream
20th Jan 2001, 13:57
Good on ya Riccarton and best of luck - you have control!

Anyone still working whilst following the modular route?, thats the situation I am finding diffiuclt and I am just about hour built to commence the CPL when I have completed the ATPLs! What experiences have wannabes had gaining the CPL not all in one block?

Superfly
21st Jan 2001, 06:58
Airscream,

I've started a Distance learning course for the JAA ATPL with a well known school in Oxford. It's only 2 weeks since I've started the training and find it HEAVY and DIFFICULT, However I keep confidence in myself thinking it's a big push I have to give during a year. I try to study a bare minimum of 15 hours a week ( on top on my 40 Hours at work). I have to had 3-5 hours brush-up time for subject studied the week before as I get a debrief after each frame is finished. I don't know what to expect for the exams yet and have no clue whether I'll be able to achieve a complete pass. I must say I live quiet like a monk with my all life organised around my study time. I don't think I'm over-confident but this stuff must be manageable somewhere ......

All the BEST whatever route you take

Grandad Flyer
21st Jan 2001, 16:11
Yes it can be done, but you have to realise you will have no life for the next couple of years or so.
You need to prioritise and also need to have a reasonable employer. It also helps if you live near an airfield.
The best thing is to have a word with your employer to see what can be done there. Flexible working hours, working overtime in return for time off (when it suits you), and unpaid leave in quieter times are things which could suit both you and your employer.
I worked 3 jobs and spent about 3 years doing my CPL/IR.
I spent almost every evening, weekend, holiday even lunch hours sometimes, studying or flying.
You have to make it your priority. It won't be easy, but if you can block everything else out you can do it. You need real discipline and will power though.
But just think of all the time off you'll get when you get that big airline job!
You could also combine a semi-holiday with flying, for example, do some of your flying in the USA.
Its more than worth it in the end. And I also think its a strong point in your CV/letter and interview. Employers like to see that you worked so hard, with such dedication, as it shows you can stick with something and also that you are a fair bet to get through any kind of flying/ type rating course.
Just come post on here when you are losing your enthusiasm and we'll sort you out!!

Nishko
22nd Jan 2001, 13:33
RICCARTON,

Send me your e-mail address...

[email protected]

Cheers.

The man formerly known as
22nd Jan 2001, 13:50
Airscream,

I agree with all of the above posts. Its hard work.

About 4 years ago I was in your position.I could not take time off work and the only option was to do it part time. I figured that part time was better than not at all and at least I would have tried.

I did the old UK route and did it all without taking a day off (ie weekends and evenings) . I did the Grounds Via Cabair correspondance. I did not do any refresher courses etc and did the whole lot in evenings and weekends. I failed one or two subjects but got through the lot in two goes. I figured it was cheaper to get a partial than to take four weeks off work.

The BCPL flying wasn't too bad. Everyone advised I take two weeks off to do it but you can guarantee the two weeks you take will be the worst weather ever. It took me 19 hours of weekend flying over 12 months (longer than the PPL) to pass the 15 hour course. OK it cost me slightly more but I am still earning. Also I did my test with some fulltimers who all got partials and I passed first time .

So it can be done but you have to love it.